Sponsored by:

Door window scraper(?) seal

Search this Thread

Old 06-14-2011, 08:09 AM
boxsey911
Nordschleife Master

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by Ghengis
Thanks for the part numbers although the thought of levering up the trim worries me somewhat. Will the trim just clip back down?

Also while we're on about the trim - the corresponding trim on the rear windows on mine has a couple of blemishes which I'd like attending to. Do these just pop off also?
The window trims have 5 or 6 spring clips to hold it in place. You'll see them when you lever it up. There's not much force required, so no need to worry. Sorry, no idea about the rear windows.
Old 06-14-2011, 10:06 AM
fuch
Rennlist Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Trim on 1/4 windows has x5 screws that go in to body with a layer of sealant between the trim & body but you will need to pop out glass to get to the screws, just done all my trims front and rear, frames out,new felts, as you to 1 bit then it makes the rest look poo and then that 5 min job turns in to compleat re,furb....doh!!
Old 06-23-2011, 04:01 PM
alexjc4
Three Wheelin'

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

well, all done!

boxsey was right the trim levers up fairly easily, and fuch was right, the secondary felt seal was in a rotten state.
Attached Images  

Last edited by alexjc4; 12-19-2012 at 08:57 AM.
Old 06-23-2011, 04:32 PM
Ghengis
Instructor

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

That looks much better and one more job to cross off the list.

As my car is currently laid up with no windscreen i may have to tackle a few of the small jobs like this.

I recently remolded a couple of tabs on my shark fins and that was much easier than I thought it would be.
Old 06-28-2011, 05:48 AM
Ghengis
Instructor

Originally Posted by alexjc4
well, all done!

boxsey was right the trim levers up fairly easily, and fuch was right, the secondary felt seal was in a rotten state.
How does the felt come out - through the scraper void??

I've just ordered these bits so I need to be clued up on how to replace them.
Old 06-28-2011, 07:07 AM
alexjc4
Three Wheelin'

once you have the trim off, if you look down into the door, about two inches down, the felt is attached to the door structure so it rubs on the outside of the glass. It's attached by five or six metal clips that are 4/5inches apart, that pop into the holes in the door. The clearance is tricky but with the window wound down you can get a suitable screwdrive in behind them and lever them out, just be careful not to scratch the glass.
Old 06-28-2011, 07:46 AM
Ghengis
Instructor

Thanks, top advice and in double quick time.

Can't wait for the bits to arrive now along with one or two other rubber seals.
Old 07-07-2011, 06:32 PM
Ghengis
Instructor

Well I've just changed the window scrapers and they look much better. I didn't bother with any pictures as we all know what they should look like when they're done. I just need to source the short rubber seals which are forward of the scrapers which line up with the quarter light. It just fell off on left side when I lifted the trim.

While I was in there I realigned the black window frame as it was a little off at the door handle end and every thing lines up much better now. Another little fix was the electrical connector for the alarm - it was broken where it fastens onto the door cap (inside). A little Plastex to repair the thread and that's another thing from the list. A very productive evening.
Old 07-07-2011, 07:29 PM
alexjc4
Three Wheelin'

Originally Posted by Ghengis
I just need to source the short rubber seals which are forward of the scrapers which line up with the quarter light. It just fell off on left side when I lifted the trim.
did it just fall down inside the door?

Those bits just slot in and are held by the metal trim strip i think, so if you can retrieve it you're good to go.
Old 07-08-2011, 01:16 PM
Ghengis
Instructor

It didn't fall inside the door - that would have been very frustrating indeed!
No it just came off when I lifted the trim. I couldn't decide whether or not it should be held on with something.

The other side appears to be firmly attached but the one which fell off is quite grotty and I can't tell if it should slide back into place or just sit there and be held in place by the trim.

The part number from PET is 901 531 933 20 but I can't seem to find on any UK suppliers.

If anyone knows of a UK supplier who has this part please shout up.
Old 07-08-2011, 01:23 PM
alexjc4
Three Wheelin'

Oh i see, mine were both loose, but they are reasonably firmly held in place by the metal trim.

Just to check we are talking about the same bit. Its about 5 inches long with a sort of lollypop shaped cross section.

I'd be inclined to reuse the one you have but if you do want a new bit your local porsche will be able to get it for you.
Old 07-08-2011, 01:34 PM
Ghengis
Instructor

Yes we are talking about the same bit.

They look fine now that they're back in and can wait for a while yet. I'll probably change them when I get the car repainted.
Old 07-21-2011, 10:54 AM
alexjc4
Three Wheelin'

Just priced up new felt inner door seals (the pile of rust in the picture above)

The p/ns are 901 531 935 20 / 901 531 936 20, Porsche list them at £60 each + Tax = £72 x2 = £144

However fvd.de have then for 25 EURO + shipping and tax, so around £85. Which is a good saving.

Still, since the old felt seals look like they'd been rotten for the last ten years at least with no ill effects, I'm inclined not to bother at all.
Old 07-21-2011, 02:10 PM
August West
Rennlist Member

Received 8 Likes on 5 Posts

Any of you guys take a look inside your doors to see just how much water has been getting past the seals over the years? One of my windows smears water after a car washing and I'm sure that means some water is getting into the doors. I've yet to take the doors apart to see where the water goes, fearing the worse. I've definitely laid off of completely hosing my car when I wash it now because of this potential water intrusion.

There must be drain holes or something at the bottom of the doors. Any takers???
Old 07-21-2011, 02:25 PM
alexjc4
Three Wheelin'

Yup I was surprised how clean and dry the inside of the door was, there are decent sized drain holes though so that probably explains it. Sounds like yours may be blocked.

Quick Reply: Door window scraper(?) seal