Sponsored by:

Oil drip forward of motor. UPDATE: think I found cause

Search this Thread

Old 06-24-2011, 09:10 AM
Alan G.
Pro

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
Default Thats is pretty far forward.

It looks like it would be where the linkage goes into the tranny. Judging by the accumualtion, it is not a new leak. Definately check and/or change the fluid. Clean it up or at least wipe it down to try and determine how much it is leaking. A leak down there can get blown all over the place, and over time a small leak can look much worse than it is.

If it was mine, and my diagnosis held true, I would wait until the next planned engine drop to fix it.
Old 06-24-2011, 01:40 PM
Turbohead
Rennlist Member

Received 49 Likes on 30 Posts

Originally Posted by Alan G.
It looks like it would be where the linkage goes into the tranny. Judging by the accumualtion, it is not a new leak. Definately check and/or change the fluid. Clean it up or at least wipe it down to try and determine how much it is leaking. A leak down there can get blown all over the place, and over time a small leak can look much worse than it is.

If it was mine, and my diagnosis held true, I would wait until the next planned engine drop to fix it.
It could be rear trans seal where linkage goes in. Easy fix .
Still ....wash it all down as I mentioned before and you will know for sure.
Elliot
Old 06-24-2011, 07:01 PM
altarchsa
Three Wheelin'

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

There are seals on the gearshift linkage and output shaft that can easily be replaced while the engine/trans are out of the car. Not expensive. I did them last ime I had mine out.
Old 06-24-2011, 07:03 PM
altarchsa
Three Wheelin'

Uh, output shaft for C4 only I suppose.
Old 06-24-2011, 09:12 PM
Vandit
Nordschleife Master

Received 48 Likes on 36 Posts

Thanks for the feedback guys. The car is a C2, so no output shaft.

I picked up some Delvac 75-90 today. I'm going to continue to degrease this evening, get it nice and clean (hopefully, cause it's overwhelmingly dirty!) and then change out the gear oil.
Old 06-24-2011, 10:39 PM
Vandit
Nordschleife Master

Okay, got under the car again, was about to continue my cleanup but noticed the car dripped a bit overnight while up on the jack stands. I got in there for another close look and I think I see where it's leaking from.

It's leaking from the bolt holes where I removed the undertray mount on the pass. side. I thought these holes were just mounting bracket holes??? Am I wrong? Are they suppose to thread into the transaxle internals and cause a leak if removed?

I had even made a thread on here to ask just to be sure and was told I was okay...
https://rennlist.com/forums/964-foru...-downside.html

Oil drip accumulation between the holes, at the bottom of the diamond

Very noticeable amount of oil in the hole.

Relatively dry above the area.

Should I reinstall the bolts? Reinstall the bolts + the bracket? Is something broken inside these holes?
Old 06-24-2011, 10:56 PM
Turbohead
Rennlist Member

Received 49 Likes on 30 Posts

Okay, got under the car again, was about to continue my cleanup but noticed the car dripped a bit overnight while up on the jack stands. I got in there for another close look and I think I see where it's leaking from.

It's leaking from the bolt holes where I removed the undertray mount on the pass. side. I thought these holes were just mounting bracket holes??? Am I wrong? Are they suppose to thread into the transaxle internals and cause a leak if removed?

No not likely. It is probably just residue the worked it way in those holes. from being captured in the tray.

Wash again ..also check topside in the engine tin it could drip down from there.

Elliot
Old 06-25-2011, 12:54 AM
Vandit
Nordschleife Master

I'm pretty certain those bolt holes are the culprit. I cleaned around the area, used Q-tips to clean inside the holes really well, so that they came out clean. Took the car out for a drive, came back, jacked it up, put a fresh Q-tip in the hole and once again, fresh oil.

So now the question is, is it by design that these bolts reach into the oil of the transaxle or do I some major problems on that transaxle that's causing oil to leak out of these bolt holes?
Old 06-25-2011, 03:06 AM
Vandit
Nordschleife Master

Alright, so I replaced the bolts w/o the bracket in place. We'll see what happens now.

I also put some fresh Delvac in there.

Since I did not install the bracket this time, that means the bolts are further in on the transaxle when tightened down (thickness of the omitted bracket). Could this cause a problem? Should I reinstall them w/ the bracket?
Old 06-25-2011, 05:15 AM
ThomasC2
Drifting

Received 41 Likes on 20 Posts

No that millimeter of thraed doesn't matter. But i wonder if these holesnreally are the culprit. If you stick someting smaller into the holes, how far can you go?

Thomas
Old 06-25-2011, 05:51 AM
pantera43
Pro

I could be wrong but that cover looks like the port inspection hole cover. If you look carefully within the holes the green you see might actually be a gasket. If so the bolts must go back in. I'll check mine when it gets light out. Mine was leaking tranny fluid from their and I had to replace the gasket.
Old 06-25-2011, 08:15 PM
Vandit
Nordschleife Master

Drove the car 60 miles today then parked it for several hours and didn't notice any oil under the transaxle. I will continue to keep an eye on it.
Old 06-27-2011, 12:34 PM
Alan G.
Pro

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
Default Bingo

Originally Posted by pantera43
I could be wrong but that cover looks like the port inspection hole cover. If you look carefully within the holes the green you see might actually be a gasket. If so the bolts must go back in. I'll check mine when it gets light out. Mine was leaking tranny fluid from their and I had to replace the gasket.
Like he said. I think if you put the bolts back in you will be GTG. The gasket very well might still be okay!

Quick Reply: Oil drip forward of motor. UPDATE: think I found cause