964 Forum 1989-1994
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Reupholstering your seats

Search this Thread

Old 05-19-2011, 08:09 PM
morrisroad
Instructor

Location: Toronto, Canada,Planet Earth, Earth-Moon System, Solar System, Milky Way Galaxy, Local Group, Virgo Supercluster, Observable Universe
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Reupholstering your seats

I finally had some time to reupholster my seats. They were in good shape, and had been through one leatherique experience. However, after a 1 year the cracks started to resurface again.

I did some searching around and found a great set of all leather seat covers to match what I had on ebay. Diamond Mall is the user ID.

I sent a sample of my leather, he sent one back to match, and then sent me the replacement covers. The replacement covers are made entirely of high quality leather. This is in contrast to the factory ones which have vinyl back and leather upfront. I have done one seat so far and the only issue I have had is remembering all the hog hook points. So, when I do the second seat, I will add some more pics. Prior to starting I purchased a special stapler for the backing which I will show later. Got it directly from the Arrow site.
Old 05-19-2011, 08:11 PM
morrisroad
Instructor

Location: Toronto, Canada,Planet Earth, Earth-Moon System, Solar System, Milky Way Galaxy, Local Group, Virgo Supercluster, Observable Universe

Side lever connect points with cover off.
Pull back the pointed arrows with needle noose pliers to reveal the foam backing.
Attached Images   
Old 05-19-2011, 08:13 PM
morrisroad
Instructor

Removed the four hog rings with needle nose. Unhook the vinyl by pulling it forward. Note here the two holes you will need to make in the replacement leather so you can attach the hog rings.
Attached Images   
Old 05-19-2011, 08:21 PM
morrisroad
Instructor

You will need to remove a few hog rings that are securing the middle pad in place. This is a bit tricking but made easier with a good set of needle nose pliers. You can choose to cut the rings also with a good set of wire cutters. The center material leather is held in place with staples that spring outward. The center has sprayed adhesive which holds the panel in place.
Attached Images     
Old 05-19-2011, 08:25 PM
morrisroad
Instructor

The foam is remarkable condition considering the age of the car and the fact this car spent nearly all of its life in a heat zone. Better than what I have seen on some other seats I have done in the past.
Attached Images   
Old 05-19-2011, 08:29 PM
morrisroad
Instructor

Next you'll need to remove the bolster hog rings. Lift the leather folds and remove them. Once these are removed the rest of the cover can be slipped off. Again, the underlayment and foam are in great condition.
Attached Images    
Old 05-19-2011, 08:42 PM
Rocket Rob
IHI KING!
Rennlist Member

Received 222 Likes on 176 Posts

Great photos. Keep 'em coming!
Old 05-21-2011, 08:14 AM
morrisroad
Instructor

When you pull the backing off the foam, note how the wires are hooked into the fabric rail. You will need to do this on the new covers.
Attached Images  
Old 05-22-2011, 08:58 AM
Mc.Queen 964
Racer

Where did you bought that reupholster kit? price?

Regards.
Old 05-22-2011, 09:50 AM
Laker
Drifting

Received 18 Likes on 16 Posts

when this is done, I'd like to nominate this for the DIY section. Thanks for sharing.

Last edited by Laker; 05-23-2011 at 09:42 PM.
Old 05-23-2011, 01:29 PM
altarchsa
Three Wheelin'

Please follow through to conclusion with additional comments and pics, where you sourced the new covers, and a review - things you might have done differently, if any. Some finished product pics would be very helpful too.

I'm going to do this very soon (they're even the same color ) and your post has encouraged me to tackle the install myself. Great post!
Old 05-23-2011, 06:11 PM
Mc.Queen 964
Racer

I'm going to buy mine this week!
Old 07-09-2011, 05:56 PM
Amdy
Intermediate

Any updates on this DIY? Very curious how they turned out?

Thanks!
Old 10-16-2011, 11:35 PM
morrisroad
Instructor

Summer was busy and this got side lined. I will update as I get on with it. The place where I bought the covers was on ebay diamondmall. Had no issues with the color as I sent a swatch and he matched it exactly. The leather is hight quality as is the stiching and piping. In fact, the back of the seats on the original covers are vinyl, while these covers are entirely leather.
Old 10-22-2011, 11:42 AM
morrisroad
Instructor

This is how the bottom of the seat turned out.
Attached Images  

Quick Reply: Reupholstering your seats