Notices
964 Forum 1989-1994
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Why do you think the 964 still gets negative feedback?

Search this Thread

Old 03-12-2011, 04:49 PM
morrisroad
Instructor

Location: Toronto, Canada,Planet Earth, Earth-Moon System, Solar System, Milky Way Galaxy, Local Group, Virgo Supercluster, Observable Universe
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Some coverage of the 964 on this topic...
Excellence - Issue 166 - Top 10 Porsches to Collect Now
Total 911 - Issue 59 - Buying your first 911 – all you need to know to make the right choice
Total 911 - Issue 61 - How the 964 transformed the Porsche 911

Some interesting things folks are doing with the 964...
Total 911 - Issue 65 - The ultimate 964? 650bhp and road-legal
Excellence - Issue 173 - 1,157-hp Street-Legal 964
Excellence - Issue 178 - 964 Tiptronic-to-Manual at Home
Excellence - Issue 184 - Modified track/street 964 Carrera 2
Old 03-12-2011, 05:11 PM
campoj2
Racer

Do a search on autotrader, there isn't much out there under $20K
Old 03-12-2011, 06:04 PM
Bearclaw
Three Wheelin'

Location: Seattle xburb - I can't see the Emerald City, but I know it's out there somewhere
Received 5 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by morrisroad
I've acutally noticed quite a few recent articles highlighting to buyers numerous reasons why they should pick up a 964. The main point that comes across over and over is the high value these cars offer for current price levels that will invariably start to increase once the buyer market figures it out.

When I was researching cars, the 993, 996 and earlier porsches seemed to have about the same or more problems in different areas. I my experience with Jaguar, BMW, Japanese, they all have their problems. I think mag writers tend to over exagerate the repair requirements on cars when every by default requires a program that should be followed and a lot depends on how the care is maintained by the owner.

I think one earlier poster is on the mark, perhaps the people who are writing negatively about the 964 are not 964 owners. I totally see the value in all the modern features the 964 introduced. Its a great car that marries modern technology advancements and classic porsche lines.
In my experience, they're no different than any other European car I've had: buy a car that's had a traceable service history, do the scheduled maintenance completely and on time, take care of the little repairs as they happen before they turn into big ones, and the odds are in your favor that you'll have a good experience with the car.

Neglect the car, and you will eventually get bit - probably hard - or if you sell it before then, the next owner will. Pretty simple.
The 964 is by no means unique in these requirements.
Old 03-12-2011, 08:37 PM
John Rygg
Burning Brakes

Received 19 Likes on 16 Posts

I think we need a 964 mythbuster poll to help this topic
maybe someone could figure out the polling and ask how many 964s have had problems with
dual mass flywheels
Distributer belts
oil leaking drips
oil leaking puddles
Suspension when running 18's wheels
DME
HVAC
Is Guards Red really the fastest color?
...etc

I think that if we could anwer yes/no to these polls then it would be valuable to people interested in 964s that X% of people on rennlist (and that is really all the people that matter) had these problems
Old 03-13-2011, 09:24 AM
Ghengis
Instructor

Surely it goes without saying that Guards Red is fastest
Old 03-13-2011, 09:29 AM
ACSGP
Pro

Originally Posted by Ghengis
Really? Cool.
Old 03-13-2011, 09:58 AM
cobracarrera
Pro

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Originally Posted by campoj2
Do a search on autotrader, there isn't much out there under $20K
Very true...and there are not too many for sale all the time....I kinda of LOL when I here people ask for a recommendation for a price on this website for their 964 and it always comes up in the mid to high teens. Consider the older Porsche's (before the 964) are going for more money as well as the 993's.

The 964 should be priced accordingly.... in-between the older Porsche's and the 993..

I don't think our 964's are the red headed stepchild in selling price. I would never sell mine below mid to low 20's if at all....
Old 03-13-2011, 11:57 AM
Bearclaw
Three Wheelin'

Location: Seattle xburb - I can't see the Emerald City, but I know it's out there somewhere

If all of us who say we'll "never sell" stick to it, the prices have to go up !

Agree about the "under $20K"... that's what would appear to make this car such a deal - no affiliation, just hard to believe it has not sold:
https://rennlist.com/forums/showthre...ferrerid=41020
Old 03-13-2011, 01:33 PM
Makmov
Drifting

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by Ghengis
+1 Guards Red is the fastest color.

Yes, I am having to replace what is thought to be the original DMF at 136K

Yes, the belt has broke and was replace by PO.

Havac is great. Work probably better than any car I have owned. almost instant heat. I did have to spend a few hundred dollars getting the AC working.

a few little drips but never leaves any puddles even after sitting for extended period of time.

I don't have any real complaints.
Old 03-13-2011, 08:13 PM
misterbeverlyhills
Rennlist Member

Received 225 Likes on 132 Posts

There are plenty of nice cars out there for mid to high teens but they all have a minimum of 125k miles and in some cases much more.

That shouldn't be a problem if they are looked after and/or had valves done but for some reason guys shy away from miles thinking everything will start falling off the car the minute it moves into their driveway.

My 964 just turned 150k on the clock and is one of the nicer ones I have come across and I am in LA where there are more than a few to look at. No rattles and taken to the track and spanked every 60 days or less where it runs at the top of it’s class.

My ’73 911 has gone around the clock I am GUESSING at least twice and the same applies.

I am a little leery of the red 964 with over 500k miles for sale on Pelican but for 16k to get a new paintjob and an Andial rebuilt engine….I’m just sayin….

Actually, the list the seller has posted of all the work and at what mileage is a great roadmap of 964 ownership in that you can see what the life expectancy is for each part. 500k miles is what, to the moon and back?

There is an excellent looking Slate Grey 964 for sale on this board now for mid teens.

These cars are very misunderstood: I remember having a 84 ROW Carerra and feeling a surge of relief when the 964 came out that I preferred mine and did not covet the new car. Heavy arsed and silly pop up wing that told all the cops you were speeding, plastic side skirts and wtf was the deal with those D90s? Then you get in and drive one and.....well, I guess we all know how that turns out.
Old 03-14-2011, 12:48 AM
M3Porsche964
Advanced

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts

Having owned a 75,79,80,84, 92 and currently a 94 C2 coupe with less than 30k I have to say that these 964s are the safest and most flexible 911s driven to date. They go faster than the previous 911s and with their suspension and torque perform across the board much better than the scary at times prior to 964 versions. If you have never gotten light in the rear doing more than 120+ in cross winds on the autobahn you do not know just how stable the 964 truly is...and with seamless power and cruise capability. I really do not understand why Porsche has said little about this model and there are few references to the 964 but it will never be forgotten. The valve adjustments are much more involved...getting the various items off around the engine but it has been solid in its reliability. I had my fill of chain tensioner issues with prior to 84 models, rubber failures of the 79/80 clutches...CIS box explosions and poor AC in 79/80 models....to mention just a few issues.
Old 03-14-2011, 02:19 PM
TNR911
Rennlist Member

This is my first post on this board. I have had a 997C2S for a couple of years and got an itch for an air cooled 911. After six months of research and another six to find the car for me I finally picked up a Guards Red RSA, entirely stock, with 22k miles this past Friday. I will never be able to express how sublime it felt to drive this car the first time. My first drive being 950 miles from Alabama where I purchased it to my home in NJ. I agree with all those here who say it is a fantastic blend of the old with the new. I can never imagine selling it and i only expect it's value to rise. Thanks to all who's input I have read over the months to help me making this outstanding choice.
Old 03-14-2011, 02:22 PM
Bearclaw
Three Wheelin'

Originally Posted by TNR911
This is my first post on this board. I have had a 997C2S for a couple of years and got an itch for an air cooled 911. After six months of research and another six to find the car for me I finally picked up a Guards Red RSA, entirely stock, with 22k miles this past Friday. I will never be able to express how sublime it felt to drive this car the first time. My first drive being 950 miles from Alabama where I purchased it to my home in NJ. I agree with all those here who say it is a fantastic blend of the old with the new. I can never imagine selling it and i only expect it's value to rise. Thanks to all who's input I have read over the months to help me making this outstanding choice.
UUUUGGGHHH !!!!! PICS PLEASE !!!!!!!
Old 03-14-2011, 03:00 PM
TNR911
Rennlist Member

As requested.
Attached Images   
Old 03-14-2011, 04:33 PM
SuperUser
Three Wheelin'

I love it when photos pick up that Orange tint that Guards Red has.

Quick Reply: Why do you think the 964 still gets negative feedback?