Notices
964 Forum 1989-1994
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Why do you think the 964 still gets negative feedback?

Search this Thread

Old 03-14-2011, 09:30 PM
darth
Burning Brakes

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

February issue of 911 World has an article relevent to this thread.
Old 03-15-2011, 12:09 AM
Shamus964
Pro

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by biggles
I get plenty of compliments on my 964. Here is picture of 93 964
Nice car - are those chrome ringed H4s? I like the look!
Old 03-15-2011, 08:06 AM
Franklin229
Rennlist Member

Received 88 Likes on 58 Posts

Never heard a lot of neg feedback on 964's other than opinions on styling. I like 'em.
Old 03-15-2011, 03:17 PM
Quadcammer
Race Director

Received 1,389 Likes on 806 Posts

Isn't this thread sorta like preaching to the choir?

Of course 964 owners wouldn't think negatively about their own car, or else they probably wouldn't own them.
Old 03-15-2011, 03:34 PM
Bearclaw
Three Wheelin'

Location: Seattle xburb - I can't see the Emerald City, but I know it's out there somewhere
Received 5 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by Quadcammer
Isn't this thread sorta like preaching to the choir?

Of course 964 owners wouldn't think negatively about their own car, or else they probably wouldn't own them.
I don't think anybody here is going to change their admiration of their 964. I think it's basically pondering why some others have these negative opinions.
In a conversation, I told some guy on another car forum that I had a 964.
He says, "Oh, the most unloved of all Porsche's". This guy hasn't owned a 911 (or any Porsche) since the late '70's, so what the hell does he know?
But this stuff still goes around and peoples' opinions are formed by what they hear, reality or not.
Old 03-15-2011, 03:44 PM
Quadcammer
Race Director

Received 1,389 Likes on 806 Posts

Originally Posted by Bearclaw
I don't think anybody here is going to change their admiration of their 964. I think it's basically pondering why some others have these negative opinions.
In a conversation, I told some guy on another car forum that I had a 964.
He says, "Oh, the most unloved of all Porsche's". This guy hasn't owned a 911 (or any Porsche) since the late '70's, so what the hell does he know?
But this stuff still goes around and peoples' opinions are formed by what they hear, reality or not.
right, but if I were to list a few of the reasons why people don't like the 964, everyone here would tell me how overblown these issues are, how they've had their car for XX number of years and didn't have any problems, and how their mechanic says the 964 is the best car ever produced.

seems like a thread intended to promote gushing over the 964, nothing else.
Old 03-15-2011, 03:49 PM
Bearclaw
Three Wheelin'

Location: Seattle xburb - I can't see the Emerald City, but I know it's out there somewhere
Received 5 Likes on 2 Posts

right, but if I were to list a few of the reasons why people don't like the 964, everyone here would tell me how overblown these issues are, how they've had their car for XX number of years and didn't have any problems, and how their mechanic says the 964 is the best car ever produced.

yup, not going to change general perception
"most unloved"... mine is loved by me, that's all that matters
Old 03-15-2011, 05:17 PM
Makmov
Drifting

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I love mine too, but it did have to grow on me a little for a while.

I worked on older 70s and 80s Porsches and remember when the 964 was new. It was hated!

Watered down styling, pop up tail, and some ugly D90s. It had some other problems that annoyed people.

I do remember two of it's biggest complaints.

The big red ! came on if you sneezed and had to go back to the dealer to get reset every five seconds - however, that was across the brand, 944s and 928s included.

The tail light problems. We had an agreement with the local dealer that we could do warranty work, and replaced dozens of rear lamp assemblies. The dealer was doing 10 times more than we were.

The other problems didn't crop up until later, like the DMF problems and the head gaskets.

So yes, they were not painted in the brightest light from day one.

I think it is a combination of 911 purist snobs and some ligit annoying problems you wouldn't expect to see on a brand new $80,000.00 car.

The 964's image is probably the best it has ever been right now, as more people are discovering the diamond in the rough.

Personally, I really do love my 964, and in spite of strong inital resistance to getting one, I am very happy I did. I was originally looking at SCs and 3.2 Carreras and I am not so sure, in fact, I am positive I would not have been as happy with the older low tech car. The 964 is a fantastic aircooled "911" to live with on a daily basis.
Old 03-15-2011, 06:37 PM
User 040621
Drifting

Received 96 Likes on 49 Posts
Default 964

Beauty may be in the eye of the beholder, but I really love the classic Porsche look of the 964, including the D90's and the flags.

It's the only model I've considered owning.....well except for a 965.
Attached Images  
Old 03-15-2011, 07:43 PM
misterbeverlyhills
Rennlist Member

Received 225 Likes on 132 Posts

Chrome trim rings. I have a spare set that came with the Euro headlights so they go on and they come off depending.

Last edited by misterbeverlyhills; 05-30-2012 at 07:25 PM.
Old 03-15-2011, 09:51 PM
Shamus964
Pro

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts

Love the chrome rings - I found your car during my search and it's a real beauty! I like the way they make the lights bigger relative to the rest of the front end.

I remember thinking what many thought about the styling of the 964, that it was a bit 'heavy' and chunky at the front and rear. But there are ways (like chrome light rings and RS ducts) to really 'de-heft' the front end.

I think part of the issue is what succeeded the 964. The 993 is an amazing car and has some big improvements going for it in the rammer motor and rear suspension. I was convinced I'd get a 993 and loved their look for a very long time - but when push came to shove I sat in both and the 964 still had the 911 vibe to an extent that the 993 didn't. Whether it was the view of the front wings from the driver's seat, the the interior look, or the timeless silhouette, the 964 just retained more of the original style for me, and won the day.
Old 03-15-2011, 10:18 PM
ACSGP
Pro

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Maybe Robert Linton can weigh in with the views from the past and current engineers in Porsche, who still drive 964s despite having easy access to 993s,996s and 997s (and not the garden variety too). Even Walter Rorhl loves the 964RS.

IMO, the 964RS is a tide that's floating the 964 boats as people have begun to understand what good, honest handling cars the 964s are.

In any event, we're 964 fan boys, so what do you expect
Old 03-15-2011, 11:17 PM
misterbeverlyhills
Rennlist Member

Received 225 Likes on 132 Posts

Thanks for the kind words.

Fact is it is the lightest fastest modern car. I can run down any 993 at the track and it is just a big step up from a Carrera and a HUGE step up from a SC but all in the same geniogical family.

Like fine wine the look is acquired but once acquired....additcting.

Last edited by misterbeverlyhills; 05-30-2012 at 07:25 PM.
Old 03-15-2011, 11:38 PM
swftiii
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 17 Likes on 13 Posts

My flippant response is 'jealousy', but like others have said each one of these cars has a character of their own and love is in the eye of the beholder. Why would anyone who doesn't have a passion for their particular flavor of Porsche have a 20 year old car.

I owned a 993 C4S and loved that car, but when I wanted to get more serious about my track performance, that was not the right car. I learned to 'drive' in that car, but absolutely love my 964 and believe it is the perfect platform for me. I am bummed to see so many people moving to newer platforms, but tastes do change over time.

I don't believe my wallet will ever allow me to afford a newer/more expensive model because I have 2 young daugters so am staring at 2 college educations, advanced degrees if my wife has her way, and 2 weddings. I also absolutely love it when a GT3 driver finds me in the paddock after a track session and says "WOW you can really hustle that car around the track" especially since it took him 6 laps to pass me and at least 3 attempts because the first 2 didn't stick... The character of the older cars is also something I love (air-cooled, all the way) about these older cars.

Skip
Old 03-15-2011, 11:48 PM
etom
Three Wheelin'

Received 107 Likes on 64 Posts

All that I can say is that when I drive around, pull up to a light with others beside me, or when I park downtown, I see the looks from old and young alike--and women, too. And they are positive looks. Looks, that sort of say, "That's cool." Sometimes people even slow down a look. And around here, there are TONS of newer Porsches. That is enough for me to combat the so-called negative feedback.

Quick Reply: Why do you think the 964 still gets negative feedback?