Notices
964 Forum 1989-1994
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Why do you think the 964 still gets negative feedback?

Search this Thread

Old 03-08-2011, 03:57 PM
Steve Weiner-Rennsport Systems
RL Technical Advisor

Received 64 Likes on 48 Posts

The only negative feedback I've heard over the past 20 years about 964's are appearance related.

Aside from such subjective opinions, these are really fantastic cars with better build quality than any of their successors. While certainly far more complex than earlier 911's, proper maintenance and attention to detail gives excellent service and reliability.

Provided your friend does his due diligence and gets a thorough PPI from a competent and honest shop, he should have a good experience. These cars are one of my favorites.
Old 03-08-2011, 04:02 PM
TexPorsche
Instructor

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Personal Criteria

There is so much "personal criteria" that factored into my purchase decision. At the end of the day you are the one paying for the car, maintaining the car and enjoying the car. I knew I wanted a 964. I like the classic styling, air cooled sound and the fact that it actually has an air conditioner that works as well as many other considerations.

I bought my 1990 C4 Cab, as a weekend fun car, however I know that if I ever wanted to sell the car it would be marketable being a 964 because of the ac and the fact that the oil cooler could tolerate the Texas heat.

There seems to be a market trend of people buying 964's that have not been heavily modified, and I agree what others have said....the market is going up, not down on these cars.

I personally feel that a car that has documentaion and one that has had some of the problematic issues addressed far outweighs a less expensive non-documented car.

Don't be afraid, there are many opinons, negative and positive....just set your criteria and stick to your guns.

John
Old 03-08-2011, 04:06 PM
Ken D
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 75 Likes on 61 Posts

As usual I think Steve says it well.

Originally Posted by Steve Weiner-Rennsport Systems
The only negative feedback I've heard over the past 20 years about 964's are appearance related.
To be honest, when it debuted I wasn't a fan of the 964's styling. I thought it looked 'heavy'. That the car's own designer was disappointed, believing it too restrained, didn't help matters.

But the appearance grew on me over the years, probably helped somewhat by the design of the 996 (and to a lesser extent the 997). I love it now. I strongly believe these cars will continue to earn appreciation.
FWIW, I am also a fan of the 993.
Old 03-08-2011, 04:34 PM
Grazie
Instructor

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Having done a fair amount of (relatively) objective research on the topic in my (ongoing) search, it seems to me that each model has strengths as well as issues...with some range in cost and extent...but not that much. There does seem to be a relatively consistent pattern of issues with early model years which are then rectified in later years (not surprising) and hence quite a few people recommend the later years of each model run (911, 964, 993, 996). (Of course, nearly 20 years later, a good portion of the early model run cars have been retrofit with the improvement.) The rest seems to be trade-offs based on preference for things like: drive-ability, comfort, styling, performance, etc.

On the scarcity of 964s on the market, while I'd like to say it's because they are so desirable (my own bias) as a numbers guy I've got to say that a big component here is that they just didn't make very many of them relative to a lot of other models....and in just about anything "collectible" and certainly with cars....number produced is a huge drive of value (and scarcity).
Old 03-08-2011, 04:39 PM
Bearclaw
Three Wheelin'

Location: Seattle xburb - I can't see the Emerald City, but I know it's out there somewhere
Received 5 Likes on 2 Posts

" Why do you think the 964 still gets negative feedback? "

Because of discussions like this.
hahaha, j/k

When I was looking ~6 yrs. or so, I was looking at 3.2's. I looked at a lot of deficient cars for stout money. Pissed me off. Almost by accident, I discovered 964's and realized I could get a better car, for equal or less $$. There seemed to be this 'mystique' about good G50 3.2's that was reflected in their pricing, vs. some bad word-of-mouth on 964's that seemed to be more spin than reality. You know, 'buyers' guide' postings that say "Be careful, they leak, their flywheels explode, and their crazy dual distributor belts break and blow holes in their pistons", stuff like that. Except when I looked at the actual threads here & on Pelican, that stuff wasn't showing up in peoples' actual experiences. So I made a 90 deg. (ok, a 45 deg.) turn and bought the first good 964 I found. I've never regretted it.
The 3.6 power, the ride, the tank-built feel, still with the classic look - I love it.
I don't think they'll be the 'deal of the century' much longer. There is a true appreciation developing, along with the fact that there were never that many to begin with.
Old 03-08-2011, 04:55 PM
Jim Richards
Rennlist Member

Received 19 Likes on 9 Posts

The owner of the shop that did the PPI on my new 964 absolutely gushed about how good he thought the 964 is.
Old 03-08-2011, 04:59 PM
User 040621
Drifting

Received 96 Likes on 49 Posts

^ your avatar makes me want to gush.
Old 03-08-2011, 05:15 PM
Bearclaw
Three Wheelin'

Location: Seattle xburb - I can't see the Emerald City, but I know it's out there somewhere
Received 5 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by mitch9000
^ your avatar makes me want to gush.
About the same vintage as a 964, nothin wrong with those models.
Old 03-08-2011, 05:18 PM
Henry964
Addict
Rennlist Member

When I was looking for my car I wanted a "911" and that´s what I got: a nice polar silver 1993 911 Carrera C2 coupé with manual transmission, I learned in Rennlist after buying my 964 that it was not a 911, and by then I was so much in love to sell it

Got my share of problems, mostly electricals (Christmas tree,A/C blower and all) but the engine, clutch, gearbox, brakes, suspension and the rest of the car is absolutely bulletproof

Honestly I really love 964s.... would consider a 993 but not at the price difference they have here now (my car plus 45k U$S for a 1997 C4)

I also love 3.2 coupés with the G50 trans. one of my best friends in the Porsche Club competes with one and they are very good 911s but my friend would have my 964 any day of the week.
Old 03-08-2011, 05:19 PM
3blackbirds
Advanced

I have nothing bad to say about my 964. I love it and so does the wife.
Old 03-08-2011, 06:10 PM
mwneedham
Instructor

Purchased my '92 964 coupe in 2005 after owning an '83 SC for a few years. Since owing my 964, I have spent more and more time tracking the car....driving it faster and harder as I gained experience. Other than a broken distributor belt causing cylinder damage (due to poor maintenance on my part) this car has proven to be bullet proof. I love being able to drive 1.5 hours to the track, thrash it around the track for a several sessions, then put on the A/C and drive home. These 964's are FAST, FUN and RELIABLE. My 964 experience has been and continues to be nothing but fantastic.

MWN
Old 03-08-2011, 11:42 PM
ian89C4
Pro

My mechanic at the Porsche dealer always has an ear to ear smile on his face after he finishes taking the old girl out for her post operation shake down runs - to quote him "Now that is a fun car" from a man who regularly works on new Turbo S's and other beasts.

Enough said!!!
Old 03-09-2011, 01:05 AM
biggles
Pro

I get plenty of compliments on my 964. Here is picture of 93 964
Attached Images  
Old 03-09-2011, 03:26 AM
blake
Rennlist Member

Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts

Next month, I will have owned my '94 Speedster for 11 years. Over that time, I have put approx. 13k miles on it- with zero problems. My expenses have included annual oil changes and new tires, and I did pay for a 15K maintenance twice. That is it. No other work, no oil leaks, nothing...

ALL of my 911s have been extremely reliable. My only complaint with the 964/996/997/SC have been those darn batteries. Those issues have been easily fixed by trickle chargers...

-B
Old 03-10-2011, 01:40 PM
cobracarrera
Pro

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Originally Posted by blake
Next month, I will have owned my '94 Speedster for 11 years. Over that time, I have put approx. 13k miles on it- with zero problems. My expenses have included annual oil changes and new tires, and I did pay for a 15K maintenance twice. That is it. No other work, no oil leaks, nothing...

ALL of my 911s have been extremely reliable. My only complaint with the 964/996/997/SC have been those darn batteries. Those issues have been easily fixed by trickle chargers...

-B
Ditto....Care free 964 enjoyment as well for the last 11 years or so.....

Quick Reply: Why do you think the 964 still gets negative feedback?