964 as a track car

Search this Thread

Old 02-26-2011, 11:01 PM
breakdown
Advanced

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 964 as a track car

Hey,

I'm tossing around the idea of getting a dedicated track car and I've been thinking about getting a basic 964 C2. The reason I'm leaning towards this car is because they are pretty cheap on the used market. I wouldn't feel so bad about gutting the interior, installing a roll cage and etc on a car that didn't cost me a fortune. I also like the idea of a 964 as a track car because it is much simpler than the new cars. It doesn't have the same driver aids and such. I know there are some models that are probably better suited to the track but they're also a lot more money. I'd imagine that the basic 964 can be slowly upgraded with parts off these cars anyways.

Would a pre-964 carrera be even better?

What do you guys think?
Old 02-27-2011, 03:42 AM
flytech78
Advanced

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

i think there great for track cars. you should check out youtube and see how well they do just click porsche 964 nurburgring and see all the cars they fly by..with a little work they car really scream.
Old 02-27-2011, 04:08 AM
Amroth
Racer

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

If I was looking for a 964 track car I would try to find one that has already been set up for the track by the previous owner. At least suspension, seats, etc.

To get a stock C2 or C4 to full track capability takes deep pockets. But if you have the time and the money to start a project from scratch then I'm sure it will be even more rewarding!

Good luck
Old 02-27-2011, 07:39 AM
boxsey911
Nordschleife Master

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

In the UK the 964 has become a very popular choice as a track car over recent years. The raw analogue feel of the drive, the classic looks and the lower comparative cost of the consumables (brakes and tyres) compared to a GT3 are all contributory factors. When set up properly and with some weight reduction, they are more than a match for the modern water cooled cooking 911s.

The popularity of the 964 as a track car has meant that their value has started to increase owing to the increased demand. Finding one to buy (especially a C2 coupe) is now a lot more difficult. Good ones sell very quickly.
Old 02-27-2011, 06:28 PM
Frank 993 C4S
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 892 Likes on 546 Posts

Originally Posted by Amroth
If I was looking for a 964 track car I would try to find one that has already been set up for the track by the previous owner. At least suspension, seats, etc.

To get a stock C2 or C4 to full track capability takes deep pockets. But if you have the time and the money to start a project from scratch then I'm sure it will be even more rewarding!

Good luck
+1 well said!

Pre-964 911s have much simpler suspension that is a lot less "tunable". I went from a brand new GT3 "back" to a 964 for all of the above reasons.
Old 02-27-2011, 06:48 PM
Bill Verburg
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 579 Likes on 398 Posts

Originally Posted by breakdown
Hey,

I'm tossing around the idea of getting a dedicated track car and I've been thinking about getting a basic 964 C2. The reason I'm leaning towards this car is because they are pretty cheap on the used market. I wouldn't feel so bad about gutting the interior, installing a roll cage and etc on a car that didn't cost me a fortune. I also like the idea of a 964 as a track car because it is much simpler than the new cars. It doesn't have the same driver aids and such. I know there are some models that are probably better suited to the track but they're also a lot more money. I'd imagine that the basic 964 can be slowly upgraded with parts off these cars anyways.

Would a pre-964 carrera be even better?

What do you guys think?
each iteration of the series has plus and minus, in general the earlier ones will be cheaper to get into track trim
the break down might go like this
long hood '69 - 73; lightest but limited on brakes and wheel/tires unless flares are added the target build here is a '73Rs or RSR

mid year '74-77: a little heavier otherwise pretty much as the long hoods

SC '78-83 a ltlle heavier a little more power has flares for 8 & 9" wheels, brakes are still weak, taregt build here is SC/RS

Carrera '84-86: a little heavier yet, a little more power a little better brake setup but otherwise as the SCs

Carrrera '87-89 a little heavier yet, g50 trans is much more robust and positive to shift

964 a little heaver, a little more power, somewhat better brakes, abs, a little better suspension. Biggest neg is the weight and expense of track parts, a plus is that there is a good target to shoot for in the 964RS and 964Cup
Old 02-27-2011, 06:56 PM
pu911rsr
Drifting

Received 53 Likes on 39 Posts

I raced both 911's and 964's. I really like the 964 on track, very easy to drive fast compared to early cars and pretty damn bullit proof. However I don't see a ready supply of good used C2's for sale they are getting tough to find. If you can find a well built and cared for track car you will be many $$$ ahead.
Phil
Old 02-27-2011, 06:56 PM
dave morris
Rennlist Member

Received 22 Likes on 12 Posts

re dedicated track car, unless you like to burn money, buy one that is already done.
Old 02-27-2011, 09:12 PM
race911
Rennlist Member

Received 9 Likes on 8 Posts

As everyone has said, they are a great platfrom. But it ain't gonna be cheap. Consider my yellow car. Though it's a 993, what really would have been different/less expensive if done to a 964? So the previous owner took a ~$25K donor car (in 2002), and added $70+K to get it where it is.

So now the conversation moves to "buy one done." Problem starts becoming "how well was it done." I've seen three state-of-the-art BMWs from the '02-'05 era change hands in the past year, and damn near everything has been redone in the context of how we think now. Cage, suspension, everything. Now I do think that the 911 world is a little more settled, but I kinda laugh at some of the RSAs floating around that were done in the late '90s.

Bottom line is to lay down a budget, and stick with it.
Old 02-27-2011, 10:24 PM
earlyapex
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 62 Likes on 32 Posts

My 78 SC started out as a stock, daily driver that became a DE car and after many evolutions it has settled into spec 911. I've spent way too much money because I had a moving target.

I like my race cars to be light and responsive. It's much easier to get a SC down in weight than a 964. My approximately 2200 pound spec 911 is much more fun to drive on the track than my 2750 pound RSA.
Old 02-28-2011, 04:12 PM
race911
Rennlist Member

Received 9 Likes on 8 Posts

Originally Posted by earlyapex
My approximately 2200 pound spec 911 is much more fun to drive on the track than my 2750 pound RSA.
Where'd you pull ~250lbs out of your car? My hacked together RSA race car had lost almost all of its interior and a LOT of other stuff when it was poorly repaired. Non-A/C car with a simple Safety Devices cage and a single Kirkey seat got me barely to the 2760 (then) D stock minimum.

Funny thing now is with the yellow car at a hair over 2900 lbs. with minimal gas it's so responsive. Obviously the money spent on it. Back-to-back with my old 3.6L torsion bar car a couple of months ago, I'd have thought the older car was 300lbs. heavier rather than the 300lbs. lighter it is.

Quick Reply: 964 as a track car