Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

3.8L, 3.9L or 4.0L?

Search this Thread

Old 02-23-2011, 07:44 AM
silverboy
Burning Brakes

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

SML - the merits of a Motec mod are surely appealing. I just sensed they will be more worth it when one decides to go target 400BHP. Like I said there's a lot of low hanging fruit in the first to second stages of a planned set of mods.
Old 02-23-2011, 07:57 AM
sml
Three Wheelin'

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I've just had a DME problem & ongoing minor idle problems, so the sooner the Motronic disappears for Motec the better ... and if there's also reliability & power to be gained then that's a bonus ... so count me in for Motec ... subject to funding approval!
Old 02-23-2011, 03:41 PM
Strega(UK)
Pro

There is always Syvecs ecu mod. Less than 1/4 the price of Motec and does the same thing.
Old 02-23-2011, 05:13 PM
silverboy
Burning Brakes

Strega - can you pls elaborate on Syvecs ecu mod?
Old 02-23-2011, 06:05 PM
Strega(UK)
Pro

My knowledge at the moment is very limited but I had a very intereseting chat with a leading UK tuner the other day about tuning my 964. I explained the limited offerings and told him that Motec was pretty much the only system that Porsche fans use and have heard of. They are suppliers of Motec too. They said they could probably put a kit together that was superior to Motec using a Syvecs ecu module similar to Motec, that was a little over £1000. I have of course offered my car to be a test mule!!
They were unaware there was any market for this in Porsches and were shocked by the dominance of Motec. So watch this space!!
Old 02-23-2011, 10:52 PM
silverboy
Burning Brakes

StregaUK - pls keep me updated as this sounds like a good alternative at a good price. I don't see barriers as ECU's IMO should be interchangeable like PC's. Good luck and thanks for the heads up! Cheers!

Originally Posted by Strega(UK)
My knowledge at the moment is very limited but I had a very intereseting chat with a leading UK tuner the other day about tuning my 964. I explained the limited offerings and told him that Motec was pretty much the only system that Porsche fans use and have heard of. They are suppliers of Motec too. They said they could probably put a kit together that was superior to Motec using a Syvecs ecu module similar to Motec, that was a little over £1000. I have of course offered my car to be a test mule!!
They were unaware there was any market for this in Porsches and were shocked by the dominance of Motec. So watch this space!!
Old 02-26-2011, 11:36 AM
NineMeister
Addict
Rennlist
Site Sponsor

Received 191 Likes on 94 Posts

There is always Syvecs ecu mod. Less than 1/4 the price of Motec and does the same thing.

No, not quite, the cost of the ecu is only part of the overall package. The retail price of the basic Motec M48 ecu which we use for 90% of all applications is £1100+VAT - i.e. less than 1/3 of the installation cost of the 9m Motec upgrade. How much is the Syvecs ecu on its own?
Old 02-26-2011, 11:45 AM
NineMeister
Addict
Rennlist
Site Sponsor

Originally Posted by silverboy
I don't see barriers as ECU's IMO should be interchangeable like PC's. Good luck and thanks for the heads up! Cheers!

You're right that most aftermarket ecu's are capable of doing the same job even though they use different hardware & software.

That said, the overall success of the installation will all hinge on the quality of the map in the ecu, therefore be aware that if you intend to pioneer a conversion with an unknown ecu you will probably be expected to pay for the learning curve of the installer and should expect a labour cost increased by a factor of 3.
Old 02-26-2011, 02:34 PM
Strega(UK)
Pro

Originally Posted by NineMeister
No, not quite, the cost of the ecu is only part of the overall package. The retail price of the basic Motec M48 ecu which we use for 90% of all applications is £1100+VAT - i.e. less than 1/3 of the installation cost of the 9m Motec upgrade. How much is the Syvecs ecu on its own?
The price I was quoted was about £1200 supplied, fitted and mapped. They say that the Syvecs system has knock control, which I thought does not come with the basic Motec?

As for being there guinee pig. I think the intention is if they make a good system that can compete with Motec, I will get it pretty much for free!
Old 02-26-2011, 06:48 PM
silverboy
Burning Brakes

Your a lucky man Strega.
Old 02-27-2011, 08:19 AM
NineMeister
Addict
Rennlist
Site Sponsor

The price I was quoted was about £1200 supplied, fitted and mapped. They say that the Syvecs system has knock control, which I thought does not come with the basic Motec?

As for being there guinee pig. I think the intention is if they make a good system that can compete with Motec, I will get it pretty much for free!
Go for it! I'll look forward to seeing the results.
Old 02-28-2011, 05:17 PM
celal
Advanced

I am agree with colin. dont forget what you pay what you get?I search every ecu in the end everybody especially professional tunner told me to use motec its a little bit expensive but its worth it
Old 03-01-2011, 02:12 PM
964sepp
Track Day

Default More please...

Originally Posted by NineMeister
...We then found huge improvements in acceleration on the road by writing individual cylinder 3D fuel trim tables for the Motec M800 ecu & the car now clearly outperforms the customers own 997GT3RS...
Colin, could you please let us know more?
Time on dyno required?
Gain in performance?
Differences in filling level of the 6 cylinders?

Thanks in advance ;-)
Old 03-02-2011, 01:14 AM
JHC5478
Track Day

Received 24 Likes on 8 Posts

All-

Apologize for any thread hy-jacking in advance but wanted to say thanks. First, for the feedback in regards to my Targa body. I'm well aware of the potential chasis-flex; I'm looking to build something fun for the road that MAY see one or two track days here or there, so I'm not concerned.

Second, to say that, like SML, my 9m/motec curiosity was driven by some very major start/idle/stall issues. Fear was that I had expensive work ahead of me, so might as well upgrade. I have come to realize problems are, almost certainly, the DME exacerbated by an old aftermarket chip installed by a previous owner.

That said, I have pared-back my horsepower goals and think a 9m kit and motec along with exhaust, tuned to make ~ 325hp would make my Targa quite unique, fast, street-able and thoroughly more enjoyable than an entirely new coupe project, so...

Planning on using next few months to get in contact with Racetek (Kingston not far from here) and do a lot more research/reading.

Thanks

Quick Reply: 3.8L, 3.9L or 4.0L?