Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Do Performance Chips work for the 964?

Search this Thread

Old 02-27-2011, 11:04 AM
gosmartyjones
Track Day

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Do Performance Chips work for the 964?

I've got a 1990 911 C2 and was looking to get more power. I found the following site, spoke to the guy, he had good reviews on his sites, etc. Has anybody ever bought one of these chips? Do they work? Feedback much appreciated.

http://www.911chips.com/index2.html
Old 02-27-2011, 11:31 AM
crg53
Rennlist Member

Received 13 Likes on 11 Posts

There is a lot of information if you do a search. I for one have the Steve Wong chip in my 1991 C2 and can highly recommend it; I also have a light weight flywheel and the chip fixed the idle isues. As far as power increase, I never had a before and after dyno test, but seat of pants tells my the engine is more responsive, crisper and in my mind has more power. Steve is a great guy and he stands behind his product, it is really a no brainer.
PS. If you are thinking of doing any exhaust or engine mods to your car, do them first and then order the chip to match.

Old 02-27-2011, 11:38 AM
gosmartyjones
Track Day

thanks a bunch..do you have a link to Mr. Wong's site or information on where I can get a chip? Also, where can I get a lightweight flywheel such as yours. thanks!
Old 02-27-2011, 11:47 AM
Jim Richards
Rennlist Member

Received 19 Likes on 9 Posts

Isn't that the link you had in your original post?
Old 02-27-2011, 11:47 AM
Rally Guy
Three Wheelin'

Received 9 Likes on 2 Posts

Gosmartyjones, welcome to Rennlist.

There's a TON of info about these topics already on the site. Please use the SEARCH function a lot - before posting a question that's been answered so many times before.

In fact - before you post anything - it's useful to be able to write the phrase, "I've searched Rennlist, Pelican and John's 964 site, and referred to Adrian's book, but I can find the answer to the following question".

That will get you rapid, detailed answers more often. ; )

RK

PS. Jim R - I just love your avatar. Brings a smile to my face with every post!
Old 02-27-2011, 11:49 AM
gosmartyjones
Track Day

Oh, ok, i did not put 2 and 2 together...didn't know that was the same guy..thanks,!!! I'm def. going to order.
Old 02-27-2011, 12:59 PM
crg53
Rennlist Member

Received 13 Likes on 11 Posts

Originally Posted by gosmartyjones
thanks a bunch..do you have a link to Mr. Wong's site or information on where I can get a chip? Also, where can I get a lightweight flywheel such as yours. thanks!
As already said, Steve Wong and http://www.911chips.com/index2.html is one and the same.
Old 03-01-2011, 06:39 PM
Jimjacqmx5
Instructor

In a simple short answer, yes, they work.
There have been many heated threads on this but I can tell you that, especially in conjunction with a primary muffler bypass and KN filter or EVOMS pod intake kit, you should get around 200kw crank which is a 16kw increase over stock.
It is by far the best bang for your buck for a 964 and definately noticeable. Getting much more power than this however requires lots of $$$. I have gone the 'budget' route above and with the above, plus a 100 cell CAT and some camshafts am hoping to extract around 215-220kw with a custom programmed Steve Wong chip.
I will be dynoing the car in the next week or so when the engine goes back in after chasing another oil leak....

Obviously a proper, live programmable ECU is the best way to go but this gets expensive, however if you think you will later want to do other options, it is the way to go. If you are after more power, give ninemeister a call/email as they are very helpful in all of these threads in advising what is the best way to go for a desired level of performance. They do programmable ecu's as above using Motec and I believe they get around 300hp from a stock engine, which is about 220kw crank...

That said, if you are after increased 'speed' for the track, suspension set up is the first place to start........
Old 03-02-2011, 03:34 AM
schmidtwerk
Racer

Received 4 Likes on 2 Posts

Just dyno'd a 1990 C4 engine with a Wong chip. The chip makes several little conservative changes that add up. The timing is bumped up 4-5 degrees max but is increased in the mid range, the fuel curve is better, also the modification during off throttle to idle with a light flywheel. The engine feels generally brighter all around.

Quick Reply: Do Performance Chips work for the 964?