964 Forum 1989-1994
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Do you let your kid drive your car?

Old 01-24-2011, 11:53 AM
stevepaa
Rennlist Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

yes, one of them had it this weekend while I worked on her car. She got some thumbs up from other drivers.
Old 01-24-2011, 01:27 PM
911Jetta
Rennlist Member

Received 485 Likes on 278 Posts

I caught him trying to sneak-out with the car once...
Attached Images  
Old 01-24-2011, 01:53 PM
DWS964
Rennlist Member

Received 26 Likes on 12 Posts
Default Yes, I do

But, I waited until he was 30 years old, and a father of my grandchildren. I started with taking him to an Autocross school (Chicago Region PCA, highly recommend this...). Then I signed him up for an Intro to DE, where he got to ride along with an Instructor. His first words after his first ride - "holey crap, I had no idea you drive like that". Then last fall, we shared the car at Watkins Glen. My first time at WGI and his first DE behind the wheel. We both had a Blast. And the car survived just fine, although I had my concerns. He knew that if something happened to the car, then I would either threaten to take one of my grandchildren, or, a bigger threat, send my wife to live with him permanently (because I would be impossible to live with after that...). Now, he wants (thinks he deserves) his own Porsche.
My no. 2 son has been to an Intro to DE, but not behind the wheel yet. No. 3 son has yet to experience the track, but also wants (thinks he deserves) a Porsche.

Do it, It's just a car. The value is in the Fun.
Attached Images      
Old 01-24-2011, 04:43 PM
gchristofi
Racer

Kids...???? My wife hasn't even got a chance yet..... ;-)
Old 01-24-2011, 05:50 PM
altarchsa
Three Wheelin'

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Depends on the parents of the kids too.

My four girls and son all learned in 911's.

Amazing what trust in your kids will do for their development and your relationship with them. All five are now in their 30's and 40's and are great contributors to our society. I can't imagine the approach of having to lock your keys away from your own kids.

However, there were some moments. Most exciting was daughter No. 2 going from the garage to the middle of the street in reverse, QUICKLY, before finding the clutch. Most humorous was the night that I let my 18 year old son take the car for a last date before we moved to another city. He was late for his curfew of 12:00 and didn't know that I had made a trip to the to the convenience store. I just happened to see him on the road and followed him the last several miles as he "rushed" home. Most serious offense was rolling through some stop signs (no traffic).

I always loved my Pcars, but those feelings were never in the same category as the love for my kids.
Old 01-24-2011, 06:33 PM
Bearclaw
Three Wheelin'

Location: Seattle xburb - I can't see the Emerald City, but I know it's out there somewhere

Originally Posted by altarchsa
Depends on the parents of the kids too.

My four girls and son all learned in 911's.

Amazing what trust in your kids will do for their development and your relationship with them. All five are now in their 30's and 40's and are great contributors to our society. I can't imagine the approach of having to lock your keys away from your own kids.

However, there were some moments. Most exciting was daughter No. 2 going from the garage to the middle of the street in reverse, QUICKLY, before finding the clutch. Most humorous was the night that I let my 18 year old son take the car for a last date before we moved to another city. He was late for his curfew of 12:00 and didn't know that I had made a trip to the to the convenience store. I just happened to see him on the road and followed him the last several miles as he "rushed" home. Most serious offense was rolling through some stop signs (no traffic).

I always loved my Pcars, but those feelings were never in the same category as the love for my kids.
Great story. I'll just tell you this because I know you mean well - and if you think I'm being condescending - I am.

My girls were always great kids, honor students and graduated near the top of their class. Both are in their 20's now, graduated from good colleges. One has a great job, the other is going for her masters. They were far from hoodlums in high school.
But all of that has nothing to do with driving. Kids' brains are about half developed at that age, and won't be fully cooked for several more years.
They make decisions you can't begin to fathom, and think of things to do that you wouldn't dream of. As one insurance agent put it when I complained about rates: "We know that there's virtually a 100% chance a 17-yr-old girl will get in an accident. It's really as simple as that."

You have to think three steps ahead of them. For me, this was very easy - all I had to do was remember what I was like at that age.
I have no idea what "love for your kids" has to do with letting them tear your sh*t up, but anyone reading this who is about to go through this phase of life should know: the risk is very high. Not just to the sheet metal, but to themselves and their friends. Put them in the safest thing you can think of. Honestly folks, that ain't a Porsche. I loved my kids enough to get them their own rides - and enough to not to let them touch mine.
Being a good parent is being neither stupid nor naive. Trust is wonderful, but "trust but verify" is better. Some wise man said that, I believe.
Old 01-25-2011, 12:25 AM
psiegel
Racer

Received 15 Likes on 3 Posts

Its funny how many of us have girls that are responding. Yes, absolutely. She love's the car, has a great appreciation for great cars and through her exposure has gain an equal respect. Unfortunately for her she has our curse and will always want and drive the best because driving can be just plain fun as well as a tool to pick up groceries.
Old 01-25-2011, 03:03 AM
canuck964
Burning Brakes

Received 105 Likes on 66 Posts

Neither of my kids are impressed with the 964.

A couple of years ago I had ordered a Nissan GT-R but decided not to go thru with the purchase when I was able to test drive it. It was to be my daily driver and I didn't think it would fit the role. My son was really pissed that I didn't buy the car cause it is his dream car.

He thinks the 964 is a POS and can't stand the smell of burning oil when I come back from a spirited drive.

Don't have to worry about the kids wanting to drive the car at all.
Old 01-25-2011, 11:17 AM
LastMezger
Rennlist Member

Received 112 Likes on 85 Posts

I'd let him but my wife says 4 months old is too young...
Old 01-25-2011, 11:40 AM
Sultan
Burning Brakes

Originally Posted by Bearclaw
You have to think three steps ahead of them. For me, this was very easy - all I had to do was remember what I was like at that age.
I have no idea what "love for your kids" has to do with letting them tear your sh*t up, but anyone reading this who is about to go through this phase of life should know: the risk is very high. Not just to the sheet metal, but to themselves and their friends. Put them in the safest thing you can think of. Honestly folks, that ain't a Porsche. I loved my kids enough to get them their own rides - and enough to not to let them touch mine.
Being a good parent is being neither stupid nor naive. Trust is wonderful, but "trust but verify" is better. Some wise man said that, I believe.

+1 I'm on the same page exactly. Mine are only 6 and 2 right now, but when it gets to that point when they are licensed, no matter how much of a model citizen they are, my 964 (if i still have it) will be off limits - maybe special occasions only.
Old 01-25-2011, 11:56 AM
Brandon-FL
Advanced

Another father with two teenage daughters who lets them drive my 964. My oldest daughter picked out my current car and we're on the hunt for a car they can share. Never crossed my mind not to teach them to drive the car. Sure it scares me to death with them out on the street, lugging the car through the gears, but these days, just getting out of bed seems like a risk. They are signed up for a Teen Driving Challenge program run by the local Sheriff's Office, when they are ready we'll try PCA Driver's Education, and I figure anything that is going to make them a better and more aware driver can't hurt.
Old 01-25-2011, 12:27 PM
altarchsa
Three Wheelin'

Originally Posted by Bearclaw
Great story. I'll just tell you this because I know you mean well - and if you think I'm being condescending - I am.

My girls were always great kids, honor students and graduated near the top of their class. Both are in their 20's now, graduated from good colleges. One has a great job, the other is going for her masters. They were far from hoodlums in high school.
But all of that has nothing to do with driving. Kids' brains are about half developed at that age, and won't be fully cooked for several more years.
They make decisions you can't begin to fathom, and think of things to do that you wouldn't dream of. As one insurance agent put it when I complained about rates: "We know that there's virtually a 100% chance a 17-yr-old girl will get in an accident. It's really as simple as that."

Bearclaw, this is the second time you've replied directly to me in a personal way to an opinion I've stated on this forum. I let it go before, but not this time.

It's obvious we have differences of opinion. It might be expected that a Seatle liberal and a conservative Texan would. You just don't get my parenting beliefs either, as indicated by your comments:
"My girls were always great kids, honor students and graduated near the top of their class. Both are in their 20's now, graduated from good colleges. One has a great job, the other is going for her masters. They were far from hoodlums in high school.
But all of that has nothing to do with driving."
These have nothing to do with being able to hand the keys to your car to your kids. It starts with teaching them to behave responsibly and to respect others' property, and that starts at toddler age.

It's sad that you would make a comment like:

"I have no idea what "love for your kids" has to do with letting them tear your sh*t up,...."

I never had to worry that my kids would abuse anything I had. They weren't perfect, but they were respectful and responsible. And my four girls were all 17 once and beat your insurance agent's odds!

If you want to carry on with this personal commentary, feel free, but I'm out.
Old 01-25-2011, 01:57 PM
911Jetta
Rennlist Member

Received 485 Likes on 278 Posts

Originally Posted by altarchsa
...Amazing what trust in your kids will do for their development and your relationship with them.
So true.

Last night my 7 year old wanted to play with my iPhone. Forgot I had just activated a "passcode" so he handed it back to me to "unlock". No big deal, but I decided to take a couple extra seconds and said to him, "I activated the passcode, not to lock you out, but in case I lose it somewhere. I trust you." The warm look in his eyes was priceless (I don't think he was thinking about bookmarking **** sites??), so I gave him a big hug. GAWD was that a great moment. Expectations come with trust, he gets that. Sure he's only 7, and we have a long way to go, but I'm trying to build layers and layers of trust. With that comes layers and layers of patience I'm also learning about...

Back to driving...though my son has many years to go before his first license, we've already done a couple years of driver training...he's ridden his bike to school (in traffic) since he started kindergarten. Over the years he's learned a tremendous amount about how to ride in traffic - analyze road conditions, make eye contact with motorist, watch vehicle dynamics (is that car braking because it's going to turn?). I think it will serve him well when he gets a steering wheel in his hands.

Hell I ride my bike to work everyday and usually don't drive for a couple days at a time. Just sitting in a car and not having to pedal to get anywhere feels like such a luxury ...makes me enjoy and appreciate driving all the more.

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: Do you let your kid drive your car?