Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

UK Trackdays

Search this Thread

Old 03-10-2011, 07:48 PM
boxsey911
Nordschleife Master

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Forgive me if this post gets long but hopefully it will clarify the issue of noise and getting on track.

1. The Donington driveby is 98db and is quite generous. It's equivalent to about 105 db on a static test. Donington don't do a static test before you go on so there's no need to worry about that. However, if you fail driveby (you will be black flagged) they will static test you. Unfortunately they set the static limit at 100 db. What they're doing with this is ensuring you fail again so that there are no arguments (although they'll let you go and bolt on a silencer and go back for a retest).

2. A 964 with only one part of the exhaust bypassed will easily pass the driveby of 98 db.

3. A 964 with a decat and just one bypass will pass the driveby as long as you're not hitting the revlimiter everywhere. So Frank should be OK.

4. A 964 with both a cup pipe and g pipe (even if it has the original cat fitted) will fail the driveby.

5. Parts of the 964 exhaust don't take long to change so for Russ, I would suggest you pick up a primary silencer for Porshapart or ebay and fit it just for the trackday.

The simple fact is that to enjoy your 964 on track you must make it comply with noise regs. The standard primary and final silencers on the 964 and more than sufficient to do this and the car goes just aswell without the noise and you really get to enjoy what it can do on track
Old 03-11-2011, 04:19 AM
jamest
Instructor

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by boxsey911
5. Parts of the 964 exhaust don't take long to change so for Russ, I would suggest you pick up a primary silencer for Porshapart or ebay and fit it just for the trackday.
Some great advice there Steve. I just picked up a primary silencer on ebay for £75 to replace my cup pipe so that I can attend trackdays with lower noise regs. Just make sure you budget for the two straps and bolts to hold them on - over £100 incl VAT from an OPC! Thankfully, I have managed to find a second hand set on ebay.
Old 03-11-2011, 06:10 AM
Porsche964FP
Drifting

Received 8 Likes on 7 Posts

Brilliant thanks for all the help boxsey.
Old 03-11-2011, 01:59 PM
964russ
Three Wheelin'

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

Ill book it when i get paid (20th).
Ill take the original cat with me, and if they flag me ill bolt it on.

Big brakes and new Rothsport shifter will be fitted by then, excited allready
Old 03-14-2011, 03:08 PM
boxsey911
Nordschleife Master

For those wanting to stay the night before, the Hilton at East Midlands airport is only 10 minutes from the circuit and does double rooms for £49 + £5 parking. A few, including myself, will be staying there so that we're fresh for the trackday.....depending on the number of beers the night before
Old 03-14-2011, 05:51 PM
Porsche964FP
Drifting

Received 8 Likes on 7 Posts

Originally Posted by boxsey911
For those wanting to stay the night before, the Hilton at East Midlands airport is only 10 minutes from the circuit and does double rooms for £49 + £5 parking. A few, including myself, will be staying there so that we're fresh for the trackday.....depending on the number of beers the night before
Sounds like a good idea.
Old 03-15-2011, 09:32 AM
J81 JKR
Pro

Boxsey - I wont make it on the track for this one but Im going to do my best to drive my C2 down anyway and spectate.

Im very much a petrol-head but have never tracked a car, is it just a case of turning up and seeing what you can do or would you recommend any track 'training' first, i.e. one of these event days you can book....? Any advice would be good.
Old 03-15-2011, 10:15 AM
boxsey911
Nordschleife Master

Originally Posted by J81 JKR
Boxsey - I wont make it on the track for this one but Im going to do my best to drive my C2 down anyway and spectate.

Im very much a petrol-head but have never tracked a car, is it just a case of turning up and seeing what you can do or would you recommend any track 'training' first, i.e. one of these event days you can book....? Any advice would be good.
This is always a good question and I don't think there is really a right or wrong answer. So here are my own thoughts:

To do your first track day I think you just have to jump in and do it. The sighting laps at the start are always slow and designed to ease you into the circuit. It's then ideal to do your first session with an instructor when the day goes live and cars are travelling at speed. They will guide you on what to do and wave the experienced/faster drivers to pass you.

You can go on all types of skills training days where it's just you and an instructor on mostly an empty circuit or airfield but they won't prepare you for driving on track with lots of other cars, many going faster (there's always someone faster than you). Personally, I think training days are more useful to those that have already done trackdays and want to learn how to go faster. When on track leave your ego in the paddock and just let anyone coming up behind you pass on the next straight (they're not allowed to pass you in the corners).

To find out if track days are for you, go and attend one (like you're intending to do) and take a helmet or hire one so that you can take some passenger rides. Surprisingly, it's far less intimidating from the passenger seat than watching from the pit wall. With the latter it just looks like there are a lot of cars travelling way faster than you would be comfortable with doing so yourself.

While there is some truth that first timers should avoid the more difficult tracks, most are safe if you keep within your own limits. Ignore those people that say you're not trying hard enough if you don't come off....the aim is to always stay on! Racers don't win anything by coming off the circuit....the same is true for track dayers (even though it's not a race).
Old 03-15-2011, 05:32 PM
J81 JKR
Pro

Thanks mate that sounds like good advice.
I'll take my helmet along and maybe someone will be kind enough to let me be a passenger for a lap or two in exchange for a pint or 3 at the bar later on.
Looking forward to it!
Old 04-02-2011, 12:41 PM
boxsey911
Nordschleife Master

BUMP......twenty spaces still available.

The GT3s are now just heading the 964 bookings by 10 to 9.

If Russ confirms his booking we'll be all even
Old 04-02-2011, 04:04 PM
964russ
Three Wheelin'

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

Id love to pay bookatrack, but ive had to buy another car to replace the worn out golf (205k miles), so cant afford it till i get paid this month.
Annoying but theres not much i can do about it.
Old 04-04-2011, 08:04 AM
Sifly
Instructor

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Hi Steve,

Thanks for your email.

I'm hoping to come to Donny, just waiting to hear from work if I can get the day off

I need to give my new Tarox discs and R888's a try-out

*NOW BOOKED* - Can't wait :0)

Last edited by Sifly; 04-04-2011 at 02:05 PM.
Old 04-04-2011, 02:15 PM
JBaker1121
Advanced

ugh those track cars are so beautiful....
Old 04-04-2011, 03:40 PM
boxsey911
Nordschleife Master

Originally Posted by Sifly
Hi Steve,

Thanks for your email.

I'm hoping to come to Donny, just waiting to hear from work if I can get the day off

I need to give my new Tarox discs and R888's a try-out

*NOW BOOKED* - Can't wait :0)
Great stuff Si....look forward to chasing you round
Old 04-04-2011, 03:42 PM
boxsey911
Nordschleife Master

Originally Posted by JBaker1121
ugh those track cars are so beautiful....
Thanks and I whole heartedly agree

^^^^
three of us at Donington a couple of years ago

Quick Reply: UK Trackdays