Notices
964 Forum 1989-1994
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Has anyone used/fitted/driven an FVD Helical LSD?

Search this Thread

Old 01-04-2011, 09:15 PM
Jimjacqmx5
Instructor

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Has anyone used/fitted/driven an FVD Helical LSD?

Hi,

I am wanting to put in an LSD and noticed FVD list a 20/80 Helical on their website. Has anyone had any experience with this differential?
I believe the Guard GT 40/60 is very good. From my undertanding, these are actually made in Australia by Modena Engineering...
They are 3 times the price of the FVD LSD however.
So is the plate LSD three times better than the Helical?
Old 01-05-2011, 05:15 PM
Jimjacqmx5
Instructor

Anybody?
Old 01-06-2011, 10:56 AM
johnsjmc
Racer

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

I just looked at the FVD site and the "helical diff" looks like a "Quaife" unit to me. I don,t believe this style diff works on decel only on acceleration. I would think 100/0 not 80/20 would be a better description. That said this type of LSd is often preferred for tight turns at low speed like autocross and high perf street driving. The plate type is preferred for roadrace /DE as it can add some stability on trail braking.. The quaife style has another advantage of no plates to wear out.
Old 01-06-2011, 11:18 PM
Jimjacqmx5
Instructor

Thanks

I was guessing it was a Quaife. I believe they are very well built LSD's but I suspect that for track use, the plate type 40/60 is a better bet and I should just spend the $$$ and be done with it.
Old 01-06-2011, 11:43 PM
ACSGP
Pro

Am actually looking at the Quaife as the sterling is now at a low.

http://www.quaife.co.uk/catalogue/products/qdf9q

Did consider the FVD, and while they look the same, I was told that they have a clutch-type operation vs the Quaife gear version. This pic looks like a Quaife, but is listed as a 2nd hand version on the FVD site:
http://www.fvd.de/us/en/Porsche-0/99...-20-80%25.html

I drive a tip, so this may be different for you if you have a manual.
Old 01-07-2011, 06:09 AM
ThomasC2
Drifting

Received 41 Likes on 20 Posts

If you decide to go for a plate LSD I can recommend the 996 GT3 CUP LSD. The price is very competitive and was the cheapest alternative when I bought mine some years ago, something like 1.300 Euros. It's very tough and gives you traction like freight train!

Thomas
Old 01-10-2011, 01:30 AM
Cam Arnott
Instructor

Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts

You'll love the Modena James

Are you doing the PCV 6 hour at Sandown? Maybe see you there.
Old 01-10-2011, 02:32 PM
christallon
Rennlist Member

Received 204 Likes on 136 Posts

Jim,

Take a look at the OS Gikan from Japan too! I hear great things about this LSD. The GT3 guys love it and the few 964 guys I know that have installed it love it too. They have a cool website.... Ck it out
Old 01-10-2011, 06:43 PM
Jimjacqmx5
Instructor

Thanks Guys and Hey Cam.
I might get to Sandown but my wife announced to me last week that we currently have two buns in the oven! Not sure how this will affect the motorsport budget and time this season so I'll see how we go!
If you are coming down for it, definately let me know so we can catch up.

As for my beloved, it's in the panelshop as a ******** cyclist rode the wrong way down a one way street, stacked into the front of my 964 and fell, still cleated into his bike pedals onto the middle of my front hood and totally caved it in! Grrr.

Oh and Thomas, any link for the 996 GT3 cup LSD. Do you know specs? Is it a 40/60, 50/80 etc.
Old 01-11-2011, 04:06 AM
ThomasC2
Drifting

Received 41 Likes on 20 Posts

It is 40/60 or maybe 40/65.

Thomas
Old 01-11-2011, 05:44 PM
Jimjacqmx5
Instructor

I checked the OSGiken vs Guard thread on the forum. Geezus, interesting reading and what a cat fight. Bowl of milk to table five. I think I'll still save the $$ and go the Guard although I do like that the OSGiken sounds like it is nice and quite with minimal chatter. For those that have driven the Modena (Guard), is it noisy? I know the KAAZ and some other plate LSD's are quite chattery.
Old 01-11-2011, 06:08 PM
christallon
Rennlist Member

Received 204 Likes on 136 Posts

What's the difference in price between Guard and Giken units installed?
Old 01-11-2011, 09:01 PM
Jimjacqmx5
Instructor

I think the guard is around $2-2.5k and the OS Giken around $1500
It sounds like the OS Giken might be more streetable in some ways and still good on the track. Perhaps a little bit more forgiving to drive as it doesn't lock up as much on turn in etc. That said, I'm only trying to summate the toing and froing from the two respective opinions of each of the retailers of these units.
I do know that nearly every racer uses the Guard LSD both here and overseas with a few people using KAAZ, OS Giken and Carbonetic LSD's. There seems to be positive comments about both, but at this stage the guard is a much more known product and very tried and tested. So I guess at this stage, if you want the safe bet, the Guard is the way to go but if you are happy to pioneer, the OS Giken might do the job as well or even posible beter for less money.
Again, still haven't got confimration from anyone on this but suspect the Guard unit is actually manufactured in Australia by Modena engineering. Perhaps Cam can enlighten us??
Old 01-12-2011, 03:47 AM
ACSGP
Pro

Originally Posted by Jimjacqmx5
IIt sounds like the OS Giken might be more streetable in some ways and still good on the track. Perhaps a little bit more forgiving to drive as it doesn't lock up as much on turn in etc. That said, I'm only trying to summate the toing and froing from the two respective opinions of each of the retailers of these units.
I do know that nearly every racer uses the Guard LSD both here and overseas with a few people using KAAZ, OS Giken and Carbonetic LSD's. There seems to be positive comments about both, but at this stage the guard is a much more known product and very tried and tested. So I guess at this stage, if you want the safe bet, the Guard is the way to go but if you are happy to pioneer, the OS Giken might do the job as well or even posible beter for less money.
So you haven't come across anyone using the Quaife Helical diff? My mech told me that the helicals are more for the street, and the plates for the track.
Old 01-12-2011, 05:32 PM
Jimjacqmx5
Instructor

Plenty of people use plate or clutch LSD on the street too but from enquiries I have made, plate is definately the go for the track.

Quick Reply: Has anyone used/fitted/driven an FVD Helical LSD?