Hello 964 family

Search this Thread

Old 12-01-2010, 02:11 AM
Rovman
Rennlist Member

Received 6 Likes on 2 Posts
Thumbs up Hello 964 family

Hello everyone,

New member here, I just wanted to post within the 964 area as I am about to acquire a 964 and this area will be my new hang out.

Where to begin, we will go way back.

My Porsche tenure, the first car that I rode in when leaving the hospital when I was born was a 69' 911. My father was a Porsche nut from the early 911 days which pretty much meant that I was destined to follow in his footsteps.

Most of my life my father always had a 911 or 930 in his garage. Some of my fondest young memories were riding with my father on our Sunday (all day) drives in one of his 911's with the radio blaring the Doobie Brothers or Paul McCartney and Wings. Makes me smile just thinking about those days.

When I got older and was ready to start driving, naturally I wanted a Porsche 911 of my own. Besides not having the funds, my father advised that you must first walk before you run.

So, my education of rear engine cars began with a 73' VW Beetle Convert. The freedom was thoroughly enjoyed and my independence and my eyes were opened to the working world. I would scrape, scrounge and save where eventually I found myself driving a 63'
Porsche 356B. Loved every mile behind the wheel of that car and it led me to my 72' 911t Targa. I put almost 100,000 wonderful miles on the car after purchase. Eventually I bought an 85' 911 Carrera from my father that I enjoyed for years up until I was about to get married and ultimately start a family. I sold that car back in 2000 and have not owned a 911 since.

You know how it is, marriage, work, kids, new business, house remodel, etc. For some reason there was always a reason why the
next 911 would never make it back into my garage, which leads me to today. Sure I had other interesting cars along the way but nothing quite touched my soul like the 911 did.

Now Today, I have finally come to the realization that I have to have another 911, I must pass this legacy on to my sons. For I have accrued some of my lifes best memories in a 911 and plan on making new great memories in the future.

I have been a long time lurker amongst all of the assorted 911 model forums, conducting research on where within the 911 journey I want to pick up where I left off. I have focused my search on the 964. It still has the early body style that I like, yet have modern suspension and amenities that I have grown to be accustomed to. My plan is to find a nice daily driver that I will eventually convert into a well sorted track/DE/weekend car. Once this is finished I would also like to get a more modern 911 as a daily driver.

A budget is in place, the plan has materialized. It is going to be a blast, I can't wait.

Apologies to all for I have gotten pretty long winded with my first post but I am just very excited to be soon back in the Porsche family.
Old 12-01-2010, 02:21 AM
Shamus964
Pro

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts

Welcome! What a great journey, and this next chapter should be a great one. All the best and be sure to update us on your purchase!
Old 12-01-2010, 02:41 AM
Rovman
Rennlist Member

Thanks Shamus, Much appreciated. Will do.
Old 12-01-2010, 02:59 AM
sml
Three Wheelin'

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Links to potential car purchases?
Old 12-01-2010, 03:21 AM
ACSGP
Pro

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by Rovman
Hello everyone,

New member here, I just wanted to post within the 964 area as I am about to acquire a 964 and this area will be my new hang out.

Where to begin, we will go way back.

My Porsche tenure, the first car that I rode in when leaving the hospital when I was born was a 69' 911. My father was a Porsche nut from the early 911 days which pretty much meant that I was destined to follow in his footsteps.

Most of my life my father always had a 911 or 930 in his garage. Some of my fondest young memories were riding with my father on our Sunday (all day) drives in one of his 911's with the radio blaring the Doobie Brothers or Paul McCartney and Wings. Makes me smile just thinking about those days.

When I got older and was ready to start driving, naturally I wanted a Porsche 911 of my own. Besides not having the funds, my father advised that you must first walk before you run.

So, my education of rear engine cars began with a 73' VW Beetle Convert. The freedom was thoroughly enjoyed and my independence and my eyes were opened to the working world. I would scrape, scrounge and save where eventually I found myself driving a 63'
Porsche 356B. Loved every mile behind the wheel of that car and it led me to my 72' 911t Targa. I put almost 100,000 wonderful miles on the car after purchase. Eventually I bought an 85' 911 Carrera from my father that I enjoyed for years up until I was about to get married and ultimately start a family. I sold that car back in 2000 and have not owned a 911 since.

You know how it is, marriage, work, kids, new business, house remodel, etc. For some reason there was always a reason why the
next 911 would never make it back into my garage, which leads me to today. Sure I had other interesting cars along the way but nothing quite touched my soul like the 911 did.

Now Today, I have finally come to the realization that I have to have another 911, I must pass this legacy on to my sons. For I have accrued some of my lifes best memories in a 911 and plan on making new great memories in the future.

I have been a long time lurker amongst all of the assorted 911 model forums, conducting research on where within the 911 journey I want to pick up where I left off. I have focused my search on the 964. It still has the early body style that I like, yet have modern suspension and amenities that I have grown to be accustomed to. My plan is to find a nice daily driver that I will eventually convert into a well sorted track/DE/weekend car. Once this is finished I would also like to get a more modern 911 as a daily driver.

A budget is in place, the plan has materialized. It is going to be a blast, I can't wait.

Apologies to all for I have gotten pretty long winded with my first post but I am just very excited to be soon back in the Porsche family.
Long? Nope, when you're talking 911. "Long" is the thread for "I drive a 911because ...."

Great Porsche education you had, long may it continue.

Don't wait till the kids are too old, mine (12 & 15) think the car is too loud and too old unfortunately.

Hope you find a nice one.
Andrew
Old 12-01-2010, 03:29 AM
sml
Three Wheelin'

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by ACSGP
mine (12 & 15) think the car is too loud and too old unfortunately.
I think that can change quickly at that age.
Old 12-01-2010, 07:38 AM
elbeee964
Nordschleife Master

Received 74 Likes on 51 Posts

Jeez, Stephen...
With a background like that, you sound like an advertisement's inspiration: Don't Forget.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LrzCd...eature=related
Old 12-01-2010, 08:23 AM
jimq
Burgled
Rennlist Member

Received 14 Likes on 11 Posts

welcome
Old 12-01-2010, 08:32 AM
Rocket Rob
IHI KING!
Rennlist Member

Received 223 Likes on 177 Posts

Welcome and good luck with your search. Choosing a 964 is the best choice but I'm biased.
Old 12-01-2010, 08:38 AM
Laker
Drifting

Received 18 Likes on 16 Posts

welcome home
Old 12-01-2010, 09:04 AM
velocitylover
Rennlist Member

Received 33 Likes on 23 Posts

Welcome to your old addiction
Old 12-01-2010, 09:49 AM
911Jetta
Rennlist Member

Received 486 Likes on 279 Posts

Originally Posted by Rovman
...the first car that I rode in when leaving the hospital when I was born was a 69' 911. My father was a Porsche nut from the early 911 days which pretty much meant that I was destined to follow in his footsteps.

...Now Today, I have finally come to the realization that I have to have another 911, I must pass this legacy on to my sons. For I have accrued some of my lifes best memories in a 911 and plan on making new great memories in the future.
What a great introduction!

The ride home from the hospital was in a 911?! For some reason I just love that thought so much...(now-a-days) I picture rows and rows of SUV and minivans parked outside of the maternity ward and one lone 911. I love it.

Sounds like you have a great dad...I'm trying to create the same kind of legacy with my two kids...I'll be picking both of them up from school later today in the 911 (as usual). I'll be thinking of your story.

PS, you may not have had a 911 for a while, but you weren't suffering too much with your 3 and 2 wheeled collection. You are creating quite a legacy!!
Old 12-01-2010, 02:46 PM
falcor
Racer

Dammit, that comercial got me mistyeyed and wanting to take my 5 yearold son for a drive so badly.
Ohwell...it will have to wait untill April, minus 15C and 20 inches of snow out right now.

Welcome :-)
Old 12-02-2010, 02:09 AM
Rovman
Rennlist Member

Thanks for all of the kind words gentlemen, much appreciated. It is always comforting to be surounded by like minded enthusiasts. Forums Rock!!!!!!
Old 12-02-2010, 05:29 AM
Lil bastard
User

The long and winding road eh..??

Welcome back!

Can't wait to see the new old ride.

Cheers!

Quick Reply: Hello 964 family