Sponsored by:

RS Interior Install

Search this Thread

Old 05-22-2011, 09:47 PM
bpras@msn.com
Instructor

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Slow Project

Made some additional progress. The front floorboards are about 75% complete, just stained them flat black tonight to match the clutch/brake board from the factory. Just ordered some tinnerman washers to see how close they are to how the factory bolted the floorboards to the raised center support on the front floorboards. I have about another 4 hours of glue removal to go. The passanger side had some areas with glue a 1/4 inch thick... what was Hans smoking that day during the install.
Attached Images     
Old 05-22-2011, 11:11 PM
Gus
Rennlist Member

Received 60 Likes on 50 Posts

What are you using to get the glue out / off ??
Anything special - as that has to be the worst job of all the task I am undertaking.
Old 05-23-2011, 09:52 PM
bpras@msn.com
Instructor

I am usinge 3m adhesive remover, let it sit for 5-10 min after you apply it, wipe with a rag, then use soapy water, wipe with a rag, then a cleaner like simple green, wipe with a rag....then start over with the 3m adhesive remover.

The soapy water and simple green make the glue less tacky and it comes off easier than just using the 3m adhesive cleaner.

The paint in some areas is a little tacky so I might try some of the cleaner that has the orange smell as the final step. Several brands are available.

The one thing driving me nuts is how to get the glue/padding off the wiring harness, can't use any solvents because it will make the tape wrapper come apart.
Old 05-24-2011, 07:19 AM
RichiRich
Instructor

Received 7 Likes on 1 Post

Subscribed.
Old 05-24-2011, 08:37 AM
Wachuko
Professor of Pending Projects
Rennlist Member

Received 21 Likes on 21 Posts

Subscribed. I ordered a carpet set a few years back... still sitting in the garage... thank you for documenting this process.
Old 05-24-2011, 10:52 AM
Gus
Rennlist Member

FORGOT TO ADD -
Really like the floorboards, with the raised screw/bolt support. I like this system better than the screw through the floor - as the sharp screw tip on the underside is a hazard when you are sliding/working under the car. Is this system stable ? Does the floor board slide or move around?
Old 05-24-2011, 01:15 PM
axl911
Drifting

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts

Originally Posted by bpras@msn.com
Made some additional progress. The front floorboards are about 75% complete, just stained them flat black tonight to match the clutch/brake board from the factory. Just ordered some tinnerman washers to see how close they are to how the factory bolted the floorboards to the raised center support on the front floorboards. I have about another 4 hours of glue removal to go. The passanger side had some areas with glue a 1/4 inch thick... what was Hans smoking that day during the install.
I did the same thing for my RS carpet install!!! Works very well and is lightweight.

I also covered the boards with carpet so even when the carpet pad is out, you don't see wood.
Old 05-24-2011, 02:24 PM
RSAErick
Burning Brakes

Received 41 Likes on 1 Post

Looking good. What thickness of plywood are you using for the floor boards?

I'm surprised that you didn't want to re-install the squishy, spongy stock floor mat.
Old 05-24-2011, 10:19 PM
bpras@msn.com
Instructor

No tornado damage so the project will continue.... The plywood is about 3/8 thick and I will use the RS carpet set to cover it. Probably will add a couple of the anti-slip black strips to each side. When I get the dished tinnerman washers I will use them with a screw to bolt the boards to the raised support under the floorboards. The screws will not go through the floor so I will not have to worry about rust or cutting myself while working under the car. I think I will use a double nut on the elevator screws to lock them in place so the boards do not move. I used felt pads on the bottom of the elevator screws so it should stop most of the vibrations from coming through the floorboards.
Old 05-25-2011, 04:07 AM
ThomasC2
Drifting

Received 41 Likes on 20 Posts

Originally Posted by Gus
FORGOT TO ADD -
Really like the floorboards, with the raised screw/bolt support. I like this system better than the screw through the floor - as the sharp screw tip on the underside is a hazard when you are sliding/working under the car. Is this system stable ? Does the floor board slide or move around?
You don't screw the boards through the floor if you do it "factory style". you drill/screw through the beam on floor for the 2 center holes, and then use a special bracket for the side hole.

Thomas
Old 05-25-2011, 08:10 PM
Gus
Rennlist Member

Well!!! Color me stupid - I just followed the instructions and there was no mention of a "special bracket". Can you shed more light on this ??

-
Old 05-26-2011, 03:34 AM
ThomasC2
Drifting

Received 41 Likes on 20 Posts

Gus, search a thread called "Floorboard DIY". I sold a replica kit of the bracket and the washers you need to ten Rennlisters. You will see pics of both the parts and where the bracket is positioned in a cup car.

Thomas
Old 05-26-2011, 09:08 AM
boxsey911
Nordschleife Master

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

As Thomas says, all the stuff about the floorboards is here:

https://rennlist.com/forums/964-foru...board-diy.html

I initially used a rubber bung as support for the board and self tappers went in to the cross member, so nothing actually went through the floor to the outside (see thread link above) but now have Thomas' replica cup bracket and washers.
Old 05-27-2011, 03:03 AM
roadsleeper
Racer

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

My quick $0.02:

Recaro PP seats - I'm 6'2" and I've been using the cloth ones in my 964 for the past 2 or so years without much in the way of wear and tear, despite daily driver duties and track days with harnesses. The butt cushions obviously get flattened out eventually, but besides that, only the thigh bolsters get dirty from rubbing - easily solved by a damp cloth.

Radio delete - I used the centre console cubby hole from a Mk. IV VW Golf and modified it slightly to fit in the DIN sized hole left by the removal of a radio. I've got to dig around for the part number though....

I need to get my server back up and running so I can post photos...

Edit: the cubby is the same as found in this fleabay listing (to which I am not affiliated): http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/Volkswagen-VW-...5#ht_500wt_922

Last edited by roadsleeper; 05-27-2011 at 03:08 AM. Reason: Added link
Old 05-29-2011, 09:51 PM
bpras@msn.com
Instructor

Cleaned up some more glue and finished the floorboards today. Can’t believe how much the factory used to hold the carpet down. Has anybody tried to attach the rear area carpet with Velcro strips? Seems crazy to spend all this time cleaning off old glue just to attach carpet with new glue. My idea is to glue Velcro strips to the body and carpet and then it would be easy to remove the carpet from the back seats at any time. The front sections would be glued down.
Attached Images      

Quick Reply: RS Interior Install