Sponsored by:

RS Interior Install

Search this Thread

Old 11-28-2010, 12:24 PM
bpras@msn.com
Instructor

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Carpet Pad???

Looking at all kinds of pad, from jute to foam with 1 or both sides covered with foil or no foil at all. Every 911 I have owned leaked at some point. The 964 padding is a jute like material glued to the floor with a rubber type top cover that seals the water in making it difficult to remove. The 993 uses a light weight foam on the floorboards that pops out and is easy to dry.

A solution would to find a way to make the floor boards and most of the back seat area padding/carpet easy to remove. If they get wet or the car is tracked, out come the carpets water and/or weight. This would also make cleaning up the old glue worth while for when the carpets are out.

Has anybody tried to do this with any success? I think it could be done with Velcro adhesive tape but it would not look professional. Looked at all kinds of fasteners on the web but they all require drilling into the tub and would probably induce more corrosion.
Old 12-04-2010, 09:07 PM
bpras@msn.com
Instructor

Had a chance to pull some more of the old carpet out today and remove some of the glue. The glue (so far) is not as bad as I thought it would be. I am amazed the glue is still tacky when you touch it on a 18 year old car. I am using 3M General Purpose Adhesive Cleaner to remove the glue. It works best when some of the foam material is still stuck to the metal. I apply a generous amount of the cleaner and let it sit for about 20-30 minutes and then use a bondo scraper to take off the glue/padding. About 95% comes off on the first try.

I recommend the battery be disconnected when you start the project. This will prevent a short if you cut a wire or an explosion if you get a spark while using the 3M Adhesive remover... the stuff reeks.

The old padding with the bitumen?? sound deadening layer is heavy! I think the car will be louder when the project is complete.

A couple of photos, about 3 hours of work.
Attached Images   
Old 12-05-2010, 11:13 AM
Gus
Rennlist Member

Received 60 Likes on 50 Posts

That looks pretty good - the cleaner seems to remove the glue pretty good - will have to give it a try. On the car will be louder for sure, I did not replace any fo the sound deadener , but just replaced the carpet -
LOUDER - but sounds good - you can hear what is going on - know this appeals to some and not to others.
Old 12-05-2010, 12:13 PM
bpras@msn.com
Instructor

I found some jute padding with foil on one side, it is about 3/8 of an inch thick and lightweight. I doubt if it will deaden the sound but it should help to smooth out the carpet over all the bumps and cables.

I am going to do a radio delete on the car and found a plate to cover the hole. I thought I saw a storage bin that fits into the radio slot on Rennlist some time ago but can't find it now. Anybody have a link to something like this?
Old 12-12-2010, 09:54 PM
bpras@msn.com
Instructor

The holidays have slowed progress and now the cold weather. Pulled some more carpet and cleaned some more glue. I also started to recover some of the gray trim with black vinyl from a local shop.

Starting to look at seats. The 993 forum has an interesting thread:

https://rennlist.com/forums/993-foru...stalled-6.html

I contacted Raymond at ROTtec (no affiliation) and he is working on sourcing a fixed back seat that is closer to a Pole Position/Sparco Evo style than his current selections. I like his current selection, just want something more period correct. I am curious to see what he comes up with. He sent me a photo of a carbon folding seat with Pole Position style back, WOW, it looked great. I think it might be added to the group buy they are trying to get together on the 993 board.
Attached Images   
Old 12-12-2010, 10:21 PM
sml
Three Wheelin'

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by bpras@msn.com
I also started to recover some of the gray trim with black vinyl from a local shop.
I would like to do this .. what do I need to look for in vinyl coverings? Are there any recommendations with thicknesses or types? Any web links? Any glues or recovering procedure tips would also be appreciated.
Old 12-12-2010, 10:35 PM
bpras@msn.com
Instructor

I found an upholstery supply shop and visited with them. They showed me lots of samples and suggested I use a material that has some stretch to it if I had no experience applying the material. I took off the old covering and noted how the factory supplier made cuts in the fabric to get it to fit. It took a total time of 2 hours to do the first piece but only about 20 minutes was actual work time. The rest was waiting for the glue to dry before doing the next section. I have 7 pieces to convert from gray to black. The shift boot and the emergency brake handle I will let a shop do, they are beyond my skill level and I want them done in leather, not vinyl.
Old 12-13-2010, 05:37 PM
sml
Three Wheelin'

just a suggestion .......... $8.50 ..

http://www.pelicanparts.com/cgi-bin/...34%2D%38%39%29
Old 12-13-2010, 05:54 PM
RSGulp
Racer

You do know RSs don't have any padding behind the carpet? - it's glued straight onto the metal.
Old 12-13-2010, 08:52 PM
bpras@msn.com
Instructor

Do the RS versions have all the clips, wires, etc found on the US versions? I think it would be difficult to get the carpet to look reasonable w/o some padding.
Old 12-13-2010, 08:58 PM
bpras@msn.com
Instructor

I like the ignition switch cover! I think I will order it when I place the final order for all the clips and parts that broke while I am taking it apart.
Old 12-16-2010, 06:37 AM
RSGulp
Racer

Do the RS versions have all the clips, wires, etc found on the US versions? I think it would be difficult to get the carpet to look reasonable w/o some padding.
From memory the 2 thick cables (black wrapped bundles) and all the clips at each side are there. The RS doesn't have rear demist or rear wiper so the cables across the rear shelf are deleted. You're right there are fewer cables and clips in the RS but still plenty in there.

The carpet in the RS is fairly loosely glued - what I mean is the carpet loosely follows the contours of the shell without being tightly pressed/glued over everything underneath. You can't see there are cables underneath until you run your hand over the carpet.
Old 12-22-2010, 08:46 PM
bpras@msn.com
Instructor

Progress has been slowwwww. Completed 3 of the 7 pieces I am converting from gray to black. The center console takes some time to complete. I learned a lot from doing it and when I recover the center console in my 993 (prior owner put a brief case in the back seat and it has about 20 cuts in the covering) I will do it the exact opposite of the way I did the 964. I have been using the 3M 08088 General Trim Adhesive to attach the vinyl to the various parts. When I did the 964 center console I did the rear part of the console first thinking the curve would difficult... the curve was easy but I did not have the material centered properly so I had to fight the fit for the full length of the console. When the do the 993 I will mark the center of the console and the center of the vinyl and spray the top of the console with adhesive and attach the vinyl to the full top length of the console first. I am sure I will find the fault with alternate method in a short period of time.

I discovered the center console had 3 cracks on the passenger side of the car that had to be repaired. I used epoxy and the repair should last another 18 years or so.

I found a good thread on how to make trackmats from aluminum sheeting and have been looking for a local supplier for the metal this week. The trackmats will be a good cold weather project.

The RoTtec seat buy was announced today on the 993 board. Great looking seats but I think I will hold out a little longer to see if RoTtec comes out with a fixed back seat similar to Pole Position or Sparco seats.

Has any body used a 993 spoiler switch in a 964? I am thinking of putting the storage bin used in the turbo cars into the slot for the 964 spoiler switch and moving all the switches up to the radio delete plate. I will have to make a cover for hole for the top 3 switches will leave when I move them to the radio delete plate.
Attached Images     
Old 02-15-2011, 06:18 PM
freedman
Three Wheelin'

Any further progress?
Old 02-15-2011, 10:38 PM
bpras@msn.com
Instructor

Not a lot of progress with the snow storms in the mid-west and vacations. I just posted this on a thread about glue removal:

Currently doing the same thing on my 92 964. Use 3m adhesive remover, let it sit for 5-10 min after you apply it, wipe with a rag, then use soapy water, wipe with a rag, then a cleaner like simple green, wipe with a rag....then start over with the 3m adhesive remover.

The soapy water and simple green make the glue less tacky and it comes off easier than just using the 3m adhesive cleaner. The glue was almost a 1/4 of inch thick on the door sills and this technique really worked. I still have not figured out how to get the glue off the wiring harness.

I have a thread started on my project, but not a lot of progress over the last 6 weeks with snow storms and vacations.

----------------------------------------------------------------------------

I decided to go with wood floor boards instead of aluminum and purchased the wood and parts to make them, just need some time. I got about 75% of the glue off now, it was almost a 1/4 inch thick on the door sills. Will order the RS door cards later this month, still trying to order the Pole Position type seats from Rottec but he does not stock them yet.

Does anybody know what color the RS wood floorboards are painted/stained?

Quick Reply: RS Interior Install