Notices
964 Forum 1989-1994
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Magnecor 8.5mm wires, anyone using them?

Search this Thread

Old 10-15-2010, 06:07 PM
Cosmos99
Pro

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Magnecor 8.5mm wires, anyone using them?

I need new plug wires and I found a place that is selling the 964 set for $377.00. It says that you have to have the lower heat shields removed, anyone doing and or using these wires?
Old 10-15-2010, 06:21 PM
Makmov
Drifting

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I am going to replace my wires this winter but I will use Beru wire set.

Is that just the wires or all the ends, brackets and clips?

If you have to build them or they don't have the correct ends don't waste your time or money, and building a set of wires for even a single plug motor isn't much fun much less a twin plugger.

Ask me how I know.

The wires for the bottom run through a small rectangle hole through the engine tin and you have to remove the tin to get the wires out. You will probably want to remove some stuff on the top side as well like the heater fan so you have access to the top side.
Old 10-15-2010, 06:25 PM
Cosmos99
Pro

It's a complete set with the correct ends as far as I know. Magnecore makes wires for almost all other 911 variants and they come highly recommended.
Old 10-15-2010, 06:29 PM
Makmov
Drifting

Have them send you a picture of the actual set.

Make sure there are resistors in the ends.

And there can't be all the brakets and clips on them. It's too cheap, which means the ends, if included can't be on the wire end. Otherwise you will have to take them all apart to get them installed, and then they probably wont fit the factory holders, brakets or clips.

Yeah, I see a lot of ricers and 944 owners rave about it, but that may in itself be a clue.
Old 10-15-2010, 06:34 PM
Cosmos99
Pro

I am sending them an email now. Regular retail is $597.00. All of the Porsche wires are marked down on their site.
Old 10-15-2010, 06:37 PM
Makmov
Drifting

I'd just stick with the Beru set.

But lets see what they come back with.
Old 10-15-2010, 06:41 PM
Makmov
Drifting

I see now. Their foot note is will only with with shields not used on the car. Probably because the fat wires don't fit, which means they are not going to fit any of the other wire related factory hardware.

The tin is kind of there for a reason. Have you ever seen a 911 that has run around without the tin?

The engine gets filthy stinking dirty.

And there is an additional note to call for older twin plug motors.

It's not sounding like such a good plan at all, but I can't stop you from sticking your finger in a light socket.
Old 10-16-2010, 12:41 PM
frankvan
Pro

Reading the note on magnecors site i think the engine tin stays in place but the actual side heat shields around the exhaust valve covers need to be removed. Althogh you are right, those holes for the three wires in the tin are pretty tight even for factory wires.
My last C4 didn't have those and it wasn't that dirty (except for the thin layer of oil all over it!), never overheated or warped the valve covers. Although it might reduce the lower part of the engine getting dirty from the rear wheels.
Cosmo, i'm interested in what you find out.
Old 10-17-2010, 09:24 PM
grsilvia1
Track Day

I've had a set on my 90 964 for about 5 years. The only problem I encountered is the 3 plug wires nearest the cat failed due to the high heat of the cat (the rubber melted where the wire entered the boot). So, I'd recommend leaving the Beru wires on those three plugs, it's what I ended up doing.

I can't tell you if the Magnecors improved performance, but they are beefier compared to the Berus. The boots are longer too, so if you still have your secondary muffler attached it will be a tight fit. With less heat near the secondary muffler though, those boots shouldn't melt (mine haven't).

Also, I've removed all of the insulation surrounding the motor, but the tins are still in place.

Hope that helps!

-Gary
Old 10-18-2010, 04:26 PM
johnsjmc
Racer

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

I useed the magnecore wires on a 1990 964 engine in a 1980 SC. The wires are fat and don,t fit in any of the original wire clips and the "track" over the fan had to be gutted to fit the wires inside it. I just bought a complete set of Bosch wires in original sizes under $300 from Amazon .com
Old 10-19-2010, 10:53 PM
Cosmos99
Pro

Originally Posted by johnsjmc
I useed the magnecore wires on a 1990 964 engine in a 1980 SC. The wires are fat and don,t fit in any of the original wire clips and the "track" over the fan had to be gutted to fit the wires inside it. I just bought a complete set of Bosch wires in original sizes under $300 from Amazon .com
Thanks for the info. That seals the deal for me not getting them. I don't mind removing the heatsheild but if they don't fit in the fan tracks I'm out. Thanks again.
Old 10-20-2010, 12:03 AM
johnsjmc
Racer

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

The Bosch wire set from Amazon also uses Beru OEM wire ends. Lifetime warranty . You will need to reuse the wire clips. so it may take a little extra time to install them.
Old 10-20-2010, 09:00 AM
Geoffrey
Nordschleife Master

Received 12 Likes on 10 Posts

FWIW, I use factory wires on my 964 race car with a very expensive, high quality CDI system that allows me to run a spark plug gap of .080". I don't see a need to go to a custom wire set from Magnecor which don't fit the factory clips and such. However, I will mention that when we do 911 Turbo cars with EFI and need custom wire sets, we always use Magnecor, they are good wires.
Old 10-20-2010, 02:04 PM
Cosmos99
Pro

Thanks Geoffrey. Since the factory Beru ones were so pricey I figured why not get "performance" wires that beat OE standards. I did just buy a set of brand new in the box NGK wires for $199.00 shipped. I have always liked NGK products so I went with them. Only downside is that I have to use all the old clips and gaskets form the previous set but they are in excellent condition.

Quick Reply: Magnecor 8.5mm wires, anyone using them?