Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

No Name Engine Mounts off Ebay

Search this Thread

Old 10-12-2010, 04:17 PM
Makmov
Drifting

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

and there is a specific right hand and left hand mount. Unlike the 993 which are same right and left.

Although, that does explain the 964 mount prices.

I actually wasn't the one confused

FWIW is still get most of my parts from you.
Old 10-12-2010, 05:40 PM
mike9186
Rennlist Member

Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts

Thank you Wayne for the detailed and patient reply. You are totally correct in your assumption, I bought these No-Name 993 mounts on Ebay to replace failing 964 mounts in my car(a 964). I purchased them because:

1. they are cheap and they are NYC located and I want to do the work this weekend.
2. A frequent poster who I've found to be helpful in the past mentioned in an archived thread that he has had these mounts installed for 2 years with no problems. That is as much of a ringing endorsement as I need
3. All the complaints regarding this vendor's products have not included engine mounts
4. Worse comes to worse I can to buy the real deal

I also scanned the archives and found that this vendor stated to a poster that the mount manufacturer was someone name Hamburg Technic (Is there a Hamburg China?!?!?!). So they are not even claiming that these mounts come from Corteco.

All I was wondering is if anyone on this board had recent experience with these non-OEM mounts. I'm not a racer and I have many many winter projects lined up so I am trying to be parsimonious.

Thanks again.

Mike B
Old 10-12-2010, 06:07 PM
Boeing 717

Received 264 Likes on 159 Posts

Hey.......i bought those mounts for my 965, had them on there for 2 years before i sold the car, they worked great plus they have no liquid inside so you dont have to worry about that stuff leaking out. Based on my experience i would recommend them...... never sagged or anything.
Old 10-12-2010, 06:19 PM
Makmov
Drifting

Originally Posted by mike9186
Thank you Wayne for the detailed and patient reply. You are totally correct in your assumption, I bought these No-Name 993 mounts on Ebay to replace failing 964 mounts in my car(a 964). I purchased them because:

1. they are cheap and they are NYC located and I want to do the work this weekend.
2. A frequent poster who I've found to be helpful in the past mentioned in an archived thread that he has had these mounts installed for 2 years with no problems. That is as much of a ringing endorsement as I need
3. All the complaints regarding this vendor's products have not included engine mounts
4. Worse comes to worse I can to buy the real deal

I also scanned the archives and found that this vendor stated to a poster that the mount manufacturer was someone name Hamburg Technic (Is there a Hamburg China?!?!?!). So they are not even claiming that these mounts come from Corteco.

All I was wondering is if anyone on this board had recent experience with these non-OEM mounts. I'm not a racer and I have many many winter projects lined up so I am trying to be parsimonious.

Thanks again.

Mike B
There are, like so many other things, divisions of Corteco all over the world.

No Hamburg Technic is an German OE supplier.

I am going to put them on as soon as they show up. Likewise, if they are no good I will just get the real deal.
Old 10-12-2010, 07:43 PM
PelicanParts.com
Former Sponsor

Received 35 Likes on 20 Posts

Originally Posted by Makmov
No Hamburg Technic is an German OE supplier.
That is not a true statement as I have been informed. As I have been told by my suppliers, Hamburg Technic is an Asian / Chinese outsourcer that buys leftover and cheapo parts from China, repacks them in a "Hamburg Technic" bag, and then makes them look like they came from a German supplier / distributor. According to my supplier (who is their customer too), they don't actually manufacture anything. They are known to my supplier as a "reboxer" - they buy stuff from other manufacturers and then put it in their own box. As far as I know, they are not an OE supplier to *anyone*, as they do not manufacture anything. Pelican gives them a 2/5 (Average) on our quality rating.

Particularly in the aftermarket industry, there are a lot of these odd-type of deals that go down, that can make tracking down where stuff actually comes from very difficult.

-Wayne
Old 10-12-2010, 07:48 PM
Makmov
Drifting

Originally Posted by Wayne at Pelican Parts
That is not a true statement as I have been informed. As I have been told by my suppliers, Hamburg Technic is an Asian / Chinese outsourcer that buys leftover and cheapo parts from China, repacks them in a "Hamburg Technic" bag, and then makes them look like they came from a German supplier / distributor. According to my supplier (who is their customer too), they don't actually manufacture anything. They are known to my supplier as a "reboxer" - they buy stuff from other manufacturers and then put it in their own box. As far as I know, they are not an OE supplier to *anyone*, as they do not manufacture anything.

Particularly in the aftermarket industry, there are a lot of these odd-type of deals that go down, that can make tracking down where stuff actually comes from very difficult.

-Wayne
That is what they claim anyway.

"High Quality OE Supplier"

Maybe the laws are different over there but they couldn't get away with here in the states.

You are correct, though, who knows where anything comes from anymore really.
Old 10-12-2010, 07:48 PM
PelicanParts.com
Former Sponsor

Originally Posted by Boeing 717
they have no liquid inside so you dont have to worry about that stuff leaking out.
I believe that's correct. Based upon my discussions today with my suppliers, the cheapo knock-off mounts are designed to look *exactly* like the OEM replacements, but they are not a hydro pneumatic mount on the inside - they are rubber instead. Who knows, the rubber may actually last longer than the hydro ones, but they don't appear to be comparable to the OEM mounts, at least from a construction / performance point of view.

We sell the similar mounts for the 944 (rubber), versus the OEM hydro mounts, because the 944 owners tend to be just a bit more "thrifty" than the late 911 owners. The owners of the late model cars tend to want the best OEM products for their cars.

Hope this additional information is useful!

-Wayne
Old 10-12-2010, 08:07 PM
Makmov
Drifting

I guess I will see what happens with the cheap knock offs.

I generally want the best for my car but I have a hard time justifying $300 a piece bleeping motor mounts.
Old 10-12-2010, 08:14 PM
PelicanParts.com
Former Sponsor

I guess I will see what happens with the cheap knock offs.

I generally want the best for my car but I have a hard time justifying $300 a piece bleeping motor mounts.
For future readers of this thread, I would recommend using the OEM 993 mounts instead of the 964 mounts. The OEM hydro ones are only about $70 more than these knock-off rubber ones ($230 vs $160).

-Wayne
Old 10-12-2010, 08:15 PM
LouZ
Addict
Rennlist Member

Location: Philly Area ----- George Washington took a dump in my backyard!
Received 21 Likes on 16 Posts

You could look into using a set of 993 mounts - Pelican price $105 each.

Try Googling H.T. - plenty of STORIES! (look for markings that they were made in India)
Old 10-12-2010, 08:17 PM
Makmov
Drifting

I still don't exactly understand why the 964 part thinks it's soooo special :0.
Old 10-12-2010, 08:19 PM
Makmov
Drifting

Originally Posted by LouZ
You could look into using a set of 993 mounts - Pelican price $105 each.

Try Googling H.T. - plenty of STORIES! (look for markings that they were made in India)
Which is the Turbo mount, and I am not sure why it would be cheaper than the NA C2/C4 mount.
Old 10-12-2010, 08:26 PM
PelicanParts.com
Former Sponsor

I still don't exactly understand why the 964 part thinks it's soooo special :0.
I'm surprised that Porsche has superseded the 964 mount to the 993 one. It could be that they have a lot of stock on the shelf that they need to get rid of prior to superseding the part number. I've seen this type of thing happen before, where an updated, better version of the part is used on a later car, but the early part continues to exist, even though they are functionally identical. I've also seen it worse - where a part is superseded by another part that is not an exact fit and then needs to be modified (example, 964 sunroof cables are the supersession to the early cables).

-Wayne
Old 10-12-2010, 08:26 PM
LouZ
Addict
Rennlist Member

Location: Philly Area ----- George Washington took a dump in my backyard!
Received 21 Likes on 16 Posts

Which is the Turbo mount, and I am not sure why it would be cheaper than the NA C2/C4 mount.
993-375-049-09-M270 Engine Mount (2 per car, sold individually), 993 Carrera 4 (1995-98), 993 Turbo (1996-97)
Brand: Corteco [More Info] $105.25

Wayne can answer better on the differences- the 993 mount is not side specific like the 964.
Old 10-12-2010, 08:31 PM
PelicanParts.com
Former Sponsor

Originally Posted by LouZ
993-375-049-09-M270 Engine Mount (2 per car, sold individually), 993 Carrera 4 (1995-98), 993 Turbo (1996-97)
Brand: Corteco [More Info] $105.25

Wayne can answer better on the differences- the 993 mount is not side specific like the 964.
I'm looking into that. The people I've asked so far are not sure why that is (I don't know either).

-Wayne

Quick Reply: No Name Engine Mounts off Ebay