Search this Thread

Old 10-13-2010, 03:50 AM
Frank 993 C4S
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 830 Likes on 512 Posts

Originally Posted by sml
.. new chinese cheapest tyres

(c) i noticed a huge & surprising braking benefit when i perfected a few heel & toe downchanges. does this seem correct? could there be a brake bias issue? the car hasn't been driven hard for years. the brakes felt terrible initially, but after 10 laps, they started to work well & more as expected.
Tires make a huge difference.
Old 10-13-2010, 04:18 AM
Unkle
Pro

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by sml
The 1.38 was from some earlier laps in the day. Just picked up the full results and my times decreased to 1.35 about 10 laps later .. so there is an easy 3 second improvement! Still bad but I am feeling slightly better.

So now my target is about 8 secs improvement.
I truly hope this comment doesn't come back to haunt you. The amount of people I have seen at the Nordschleife look for the same thing, and the car or bike comes back on a ADAC lorry after a track closure. I would say there is nothing wrong with looking for more, but it seems your ultimate focus.

Good luck anyway
Old 10-13-2010, 04:57 AM
sml
Three Wheelin'

I think the extra 8 secs should be pretty easy for a 964. That would still be about 5 seconds slower than a WRX or M3 on a short track. And there is still big room for improvement with my driving.
Old 10-13-2010, 06:07 PM
-nick
Three Wheelin'

Received 106 Likes on 81 Posts

Don't UTQG ratings correlate closely with speed ratings? I can't imagine that a 420 rating would be anywhere close to a Z-rated tire, and I'm surprised you would be allowed to run anything less than a Z-rated tire at a track day.

Follow "earlydays" 4-step plan. You need a good performing stock base before worrying about anything. It sounds like you've got far-underperforming tires, questionable brakes, a bad ride height / corner-balancing, and who-knows for an alignment. There are a ton of seconds to shave off with that list!
Old 10-13-2010, 06:24 PM
altarchsa
Three Wheelin'

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

[QUOTE=-nick;7972027]Don't UTQG ratings correlate closely with speed ratings? I can't imagine that a 420 rating would be anywhere close to a Z-rated tire, and I'm surprised you would be allowed to run anything less than a Z-rated tire at a track day..................QUOTE]

That rating is a relative treadwear rating to compare expected mileage among manufacturers. It doesn't have anything to do with the speed rating. The comment was related to a higher treadware rating typically being due to harder compounds, which usually equals less grip.
Old 10-13-2010, 06:27 PM
Nski
Three Wheelin'

TIRES TIRES TIRES! For such a car and occasion, you should not skimp on bleeding Chinese tires!
Old 10-13-2010, 06:30 PM
-nick
Three Wheelin'

Received 106 Likes on 81 Posts

altarchsa- very true, but I haven't noticed many Y-speed-rated tires with a 420 treadwear rating

edit - via altarchsa below, I stand corrected!

I'm still a proponent of getting the base equipment up to standard - tires, alignment, ride height, brakes - before street or track driving.

Last edited by -nick; 10-13-2010 at 08:07 PM.
Old 10-13-2010, 06:47 PM
altarchsa
Three Wheelin'

Tire Rack has 15 models from various manufacturers rated at 400 or more for Z rated OE 205-55-16 and 225-50-16 sizes. (Just so happens I was shopping for a replacement tire today.)

I doubt that many here are pushing the Z rating envelope and need a 186mph Y rated tire.
Old 10-13-2010, 07:03 PM
NineMeister
Addict
Rennlist
Site Sponsor

Received 191 Likes on 94 Posts

Had more time to think about the (OP's) question and I've now got a revised suggestion:

1. Adjust nut on steering wheel until car will not go any faster.
2. Adjust car.

Worked for me with my 993RS CS.....
Old 10-13-2010, 07:37 PM
J richard
Rennlist Member

Received 39 Likes on 28 Posts

Along the same lines as Colin, at this point you want to work on your driving skills. That's 90% of it, a good driver can be fast in a slow car and a slow driver can be very slow in a fast car...

That said make sure you have a good solid platform to work from a 964 is perfect in my opinion with just a few simple mods:

On a 964 that would be a good street tire with a treadwear of 160 or less, you can go wider with a set of cup II s...I'd hold off on the r rubber, it just pushes the envelope up and you want to be understanding limits and driving at the limit of a good street tire will keep the speed interesting but not dangerous...brakes! Get a good pad like PF97s or hawks and a high performance fluid, upgrading the springs to H&R greens or even reds is ok for the short term or the eibach lowering springs, a set of factory 030 sport swaybars and a good corner balance and align... Then drive drive drive... When you reach a level where you are consistently running at the limit of this setup, then move on to the typeR tires dampeners etc etc....

I'd stay awY from engine mods right now you will have all the power you need even though it may not seem like it at first, (momentum=speed and that's all driver) particularly anything that bumps up the rev limits, factory motors will go a long time with no issues if you leave them alone, one exception is it's hard on the clutch exp with the rubber centered ones, be gentle...
Old 10-13-2010, 08:27 PM
Cam Arnott
Instructor

Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts

+ 1 on getting some instruction - I've done a few Tarmac Rallies and a lot of track days.

I did a 'refresher' race instruction course for a day and got rid of a few bad habits I had picked up since I first got my competition licence and knocked about 3 seconds off my lap time. Money well spent!

Driver mods first, car mods second.....
Old 10-13-2010, 09:15 PM
joey bagadonuts
Addict
Rennlist Member

Would agree that driver instruction is the most important upgrade but, for a C4, I'd place emphasis on trail braking. Learning proper technique will get you to the apex as fast as any car on the track and, if you've nailed the line, allow you to exit in a nice 4-wheel drift.
Old 10-13-2010, 09:17 PM
joey bagadonuts
Addict
Rennlist Member

The article referenced, below, provides a good understanding of your car's on-track manners, technical insights and suggestions on getting the most out of it.

Originally Posted by 911URGE
Read the 3 part article "Wringing Out the Carrera 4" as it may give you some insight on how to drive the C4 and options to improve the car. A copy can be found at http://www.porsche964.co.uk/rev_rep/excellence.htm
Old 10-14-2010, 06:24 PM
sml
Three Wheelin'

Originally Posted by -nick
Don't UTQG ratings correlate closely with speed ratings? I can't imagine that a 420 rating would be anywhere close to a Z-rated tire
I would have guessed the same but I just checked and it is a ZR17 with 420 treadwear rating. Maxxis. Made in China
Old 10-15-2010, 06:27 AM
dirk h.
8th Gear

# Adjust ride hight / suspension
# Get good Tires
# Book some Time with a good driver instructor (You might enjoy this James May improved Lap Times by 20 sec...

Quick Reply: First 964 Track Day Disaster