Notices
964 Forum 1989-1994
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Has anyone re-covered (leather) 964 Steering Wheel?

Search this Thread

Old 10-07-2010, 10:49 PM
tj4tj4
Rennlist Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Has anyone re-covered (leather) 964 Steering Wheel?

AGLA sells a leather cover and pretty good written instructions, but I'm curious if there's a DYI with photos that really goes in depth? Any help appreciated, I searched but didn't find anything except reconditioning, and mine had holes in the leather (10 o'clock death-grip), so not an option. Thanks guys!

http://www.paragon-products.com/prod...agla_993sw.htm

Last edited by tj4tj4; 10-07-2010 at 10:50 PM. Reason: Shout-out to Paragon and the AGLA wheel cover
Old 10-08-2010, 03:19 AM
porscheforfun
Instructor

there was a topic on this a while back , but I think they talked about redying the steering wheel and few other leather parts on the interior . Do a search Im sure something will come up
Old 10-08-2010, 06:43 AM
GeorgeK
Rennlist Member

Received 37 Likes on 30 Posts

A g l a has received bad press on Pelican forums, wade with caution.
Otherwise it is not a difficult job, only takes patience and common sense. I have done over 100 wheels over teh years, learned as I went (first out of necessity).
Old 10-08-2010, 12:56 PM
Kahdmus
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

If it was me, I'd buy the kit and then would probably search for someone local who specializes in stitching leather. It might cost a tad more, but to get the job done perfectly it has got to be worth it...
Old 10-08-2010, 01:28 PM
911Jetta
Rennlist Member

Received 485 Likes on 278 Posts

I just changed my steering wheel (created a thread earlier this week) for the exact same reason...instead of the "death-grip", I blamed it on my wedding ring...wife didn't like that.

I talked the upholstery guy that did my sunroof headliner and he said he wouldn't touch it. Takes way too long to stitch and there are always little problem areas. He told me to seek a company that specialized in that....sounds like way too much money. I wasn't going to be happy with a cover, so I called a dismantler and bought a mint condition used 964 wheel for a decent price. Looks 100%.

As a member, I posted a "steering wheel" wanted message on the "for sale/wanted" thread and got a couple replies from guys that converted to non-airbag wheels. Ask over there...

Talking the wheel off is very easy: Steering wheel change (very easy, with pics)

If this is a project you want to tackle, checkout this great link over at the early 911s registry...great read but looks like an all consuming project if you want to get it 100% right:

"Project Thickgrip" AKA The ultimate homemade steering wheel

Last edited by 911Jetta; 10-08-2010 at 02:23 PM.
Old 10-08-2010, 09:52 PM
J richard
Rennlist Member

Received 39 Likes on 28 Posts

Blue or black? I have two 93 wheels in perfect shape, both black...
Old 10-09-2010, 02:37 AM
tj4tj4
Rennlist Member

George K, I'm sorry you're in Switzerland, I might give you an opportunity to make it 101. Unfortunately, I already bought the kit form ALGA, but I'm actually pretty impressed with the color match and instructions are pretty good, but nothing like having somebody who's done it before provide pretty pix of the tricky parts. My cab-recovering guys wouldn't touch it, and neither would anybody the stealership recommended. Anybody know anybody who likes to do these for fun?
Thanks.
Old 10-09-2010, 08:14 AM
morrisroad
Instructor

Location: Toronto, Canada,Planet Earth, Earth-Moon System, Solar System, Milky Way Galaxy, Local Group, Virgo Supercluster, Observable Universe

I was thinking about redoing my steering wheel as well. The re-dye process written up somewhere here looked ok. Looked at the AGLA ad and wondering how it could be done in 5-25 minutes. Is this a cover that fits over the wheel after you remove the old cover? I would think the hardest part would be to get the stitching as tight as factory.
Old 10-09-2010, 11:31 AM
Gregg-K
Rennlist Member

Received 8 Likes on 7 Posts

I did my 3-spoke 911 wheel a number of years ago with the AGLA kit.

The first kit had terrible leather quality and was not cut accurately, so they replaced it. The second kit was a bit better, so I went ahead and did it. Never again! What a horrible job to do ... hard on the fingers, time consuming, and really tough to get neat stitching! It turned out well, but I figure I paid myself 3 cents an hour compared to the cost of buying one.

Do yourself a favor and get a good/used wheel, as suggested above.

. Gregg
Old 10-09-2010, 11:36 AM
Gregg-K
Rennlist Member

Received 8 Likes on 7 Posts

Originally Posted by morrisroad
I was thinking about redoing my steering wheel as well. The re-dye process written up somewhere here looked ok. Looked at the AGLA ad and wondering how it could be done in 5-25 minutes. Is this a cover that fits over the wheel after you remove the old cover? I would think the hardest part would be to get the stitching as tight as factory.

It might take you that long to get to the point that you are ready to start stitching on the new cover. You have to completely remove the old cover, and clean the surface before you do anything more. Any imperfection under the new cover will show, and will appear worse over time as it sinks into the new leather .

If you really want to do it, I'd advise you to remove the steering wheel from the car, and make a mandrel to hold it securely in a large vise while you're working ... at first I tried doing it in the car, and that proved to be way too difficult because of the limited space between the wheel and the dash.

... Gregg
Old 10-09-2010, 12:16 PM
Akerlie
Burning Brakes

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Check out dallas steering wheel, no affiliation
Old 10-10-2010, 02:47 PM
Lil bastard
User

This guy uses the AGLA kit with excellent results. I've personally seen two wheels he's done and they were exceptional.

If I needed the service, I wouldn't hesitate.

Steering Wheel Recovering

Cheers!

Quick Reply: Has anyone re-covered (leather) 964 Steering Wheel?