Notices
964 Forum 1989-1994
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

How much is my C4 worth totally parted out?

Search this Thread

Old 08-09-2010, 01:26 PM
Doug&Julie
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 7 Likes on 6 Posts
Default How much is my C4 worth totally parted out?

Don't get nervous folks, just thinking out loud here. But...

I've invested way too much in a car I don't want to invest that much in. Of course I can never sell it for as much as I've put into it, so...I can either drive it until it dies (most likely to happen) or maybe there's a chance for me to recover most (if not all?) of my money by parting out the whole car? So I'm wondering what a 156k mile 1990 C4 would get in parts? Any guesses? The recently serviced motor is strong (haven't done leakdown numbers) but has some oil leaks (not at the heads, but the cam chain covers). Trans seems strong (smooth shifts). Many new bits.

I know this is a rediculous idea, but please indulge me while I work through this catastrophe I've gotten myself into.

Any input would be appreciated.

Thanks
Old 08-09-2010, 01:33 PM
Dwane
Race Car

Received 18 Likes on 12 Posts

What happened now?
Old 08-09-2010, 01:48 PM
Bearclaw
Three Wheelin'

Location: Seattle xburb - I can't see the Emerald City, but I know it's out there somewhere
Received 5 Likes on 2 Posts

I usually try to reserve the word "catastrophe" for those things that really are.
Old 08-09-2010, 01:49 PM
Doug&Julie
Addict
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by Dwane
What happened now?
Nothing new. I'm just reaching the "every Porsche is $20k" idiom and that's about $5-$7k more than I wanted to spend on a Porsche. So the rest of my life is on hold until I can pay for all of this. I don't want to put the rest of my life on hold. Not for a 156k mile C4.
Old 08-09-2010, 01:51 PM
Doug&Julie
Addict
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by Bearclaw
I usually try to reserve the word "catastrophe" for those things that really are.
Right. Got it.

Soo....any thoughts on a parted out C4?
Old 08-09-2010, 02:05 PM
KNS
Three Wheelin'

Received 38 Likes on 27 Posts

So what have you found so wrong with it that would lead you to even think about parting it out? Sorry to hear of your troubles.
Old 08-09-2010, 02:12 PM
Doug&Julie
Addict
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by KNS
So what have you found so wrong with it that would lead you to even think about parting it out? Sorry to hear of your troubles.
Nothing in particular. Strictly comparing financial options.

Thanks. All my own fault, now just trying to figure out a way to "recover".
Old 08-09-2010, 02:16 PM
race911
Rennlist Member

Received 9 Likes on 8 Posts

"Invest" is the wrong word to use with any non-gold-standard collectible. (And even then things can go wildly wrong..........) I've only casually followed what you've got, and you're right that if you thought buying/fixing/being satisfied with a 964 at the low-teen price point was a mistake. But "parting out"? Sell a window switch here, a fender there..........and think you'll come out ahead of just admitting this isn't what you want?
Old 08-09-2010, 02:26 PM
beentherebaby
Racer

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

A fully parted out car can often bring in more $$$ than selling it as is but there is the reality that the parts may take a long, long time to sell and that unless you sell most of them you may not get as much money as just selling the vehicle as is. Cars are pretty much a money pit any way you look at them...
Old 08-09-2010, 02:36 PM
Ken D
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 79 Likes on 64 Posts

If you have the time and tools to part it 'the right way' (i.e. not hacking it to bits) then you can fix most, if not all of the items from the PPI yourself.

With that said, after doing the basic maintenance, IMO you should just sell it and cut your losses.
Old 08-09-2010, 02:48 PM
Metal Guru
Rennlist Member

Received 430 Likes on 310 Posts

Originally Posted by Doug&Julie
I know this is a rediculous idea, but please indulge me while I work through this catastrophe I've gotten myself into.
Well, it wasn't like you weren't warned about this car.
However, here's the bottom line when it comes to any hobby car: you will end up upside down on them. It's just a question how much you like the car and how perfect you want it to be.
You have daily transportation other than your C4, correct? So you can take your time shopping for parts and fixing things.
To keep the costs reasonable you have to be able to do the lion's share of the work yourself.
You've owned a lot of Porsches so you should be an old pro at owning and maintaining them.
Old 08-09-2010, 02:51 PM
Bearclaw
Three Wheelin'

Location: Seattle xburb - I can't see the Emerald City, but I know it's out there somewhere
Received 5 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by Doug&Julie
Right. Got it.

Soo....any thoughts on a parted out C4?
Seriously, I'm missing something I think - how much have you put into so far, and is it drivable, or is it off the road? Is there something major that's wrong that is keeping you from just driving it? I have a couple leaks, too. These things always have a punch list, whether it's short or long. Maybe I haven't followed the details of your travails closely enough, but why the urge to fall on your sword now?
Old 08-09-2010, 02:51 PM
GeorgeK
Rennlist Member

Received 38 Likes on 31 Posts

Parting it will cause anguish, hard work, greasy fingers all the time and trouble with parts that are not as good/no longer working/not the correct color/broken during disassembly/etc/etc.

You want out? gather your dignity and sell it, as honestly and straight as you can (i.e. very straightforward).

But......

Is it drivable, safely? Can you actually stop spending for now and use it as is, say for 3 months, and then re-assess?
I am going through this myself, and I know the brakes and AC will wait next year. The first have more than enough life until then, the second I can finish the warm days without.
And then even later next year, shocks, bushings, and so on.
What's more, you never know what's going to fall from the rennlist sky to help you (maybe a good deal on a needed part).
Old 08-09-2010, 03:15 PM
KNS
Three Wheelin'

Received 38 Likes on 27 Posts

Hobby car is right! I bought my 911SC for $12,750 eight years ago and have since put at least $10,000 into it bringing up to where it should be (completely stock and original). It's probably much more than that but I'm afraid to add up the receipts. Mechanically it is in fantastic shape but high miles.

If I were to sell it today - terrible time to try and sell - I would get at the *most* $12,750.
Old 08-09-2010, 03:29 PM
Unkle
Pro

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by Ken D
If you have the time and tools to part it 'the right way' (i.e. not hacking it to bits) then you can fix most, if not all of the items from the PPI yourself.
Good Answer

Just my thoughts as a new 964 owner, (not trying to patronise as you have more experience than me looking at your sig)

If its a project, a hobby, or a toy, don't look at figures you will never win. Just enjoy it and don't think of it as a car but as an interest. Like all interests the amount you plunge in is never measured as a financial reward, but just by the pleasure from your interest.

Quick Reply: How much is my C4 worth totally parted out?