Notices
964 Forum 1989-1994
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

How much is my C4 worth totally parted out?

Search this Thread

Old 08-09-2010, 04:15 PM
Nader Fotouhi
Rennlist Member

Received 12 Likes on 10 Posts

I apologize if my comments offened anyone as I do not mean to be offensive. Are we seeing 944 fate befall 964? When 944 became silly cheap because proper maintenance would be more than the value of the car, kids would buy them without realizing what it costs to get/keep them going and once their eyes opened to the fact, they would end up parting or atleast attempting to part the cars.

Parting a car is not for everyone and considering the time and other headaches, it could cost more than selling. In converting my street car (944 S2) to a race car, I have thrown some parts away rather than deal with the headaches of selling them. I have not read all your previous posts, but it sounds like you bought a car that needed a lot of TLC at a somewhat higher price than you should have and now the cost of maintenance is overwhelming. I do not know how much you have spent on this car, but it sounds like the amount is beyound your comfort level. As some have said, if it is safetly drivable but not perfect, drive it until you can move through your repair list. If you just want out, think of selling it which is likely at a loss which would be akin to cutting off a limb to save a life.

Good luck with your decision.
Old 08-09-2010, 04:44 PM
ilko
Agent Orange
Rennlist Member

Received 562 Likes on 200 Posts

Nader, love your sig

OK, now to Doug's question, it seems that nobody has put a real number yet. If the car's interior is black and exterior and engine/drivetrain are in good condition you could get $12-14K for everything. That will take dedication, hard work, lots of hours in the garage and lots of hours on the internet looking up information about how to disassemble the car and then lots of hours peddling the actual parts. Did I say it will be time consuming? So you need to ask yourself how much all that is worth to you.

I did it a few years back and if I had the time I'd probably do it again. You learn a lot about the car and yourself. I had a track accident and for a few days I felt very beat and defeated. Then I decided that I'll try to get as much as I can for the car and buy and build up another one. That was my goal and motivation behind it. Without that the carcass would probably still rot in my garage.

Read this book: http://www.amazon.com/Gold-Plated-Po.../dp/1592282563 - if it doesn't make you want to delve into it at least you'll have a few laughs.

Best of luck!
Old 08-09-2010, 06:18 PM
LastMezger
Rennlist Member

Received 140 Likes on 92 Posts

I put the 964 and related costs on the "entertainment"budget.

Ilko - that's it eh?
Old 08-09-2010, 06:32 PM
Bearclaw
Three Wheelin'

Location: Seattle xburb - I can't see the Emerald City, but I know it's out there somewhere
Received 5 Likes on 2 Posts

I've seen guys on other car forums who make a foray into parting out.
It seems to work best for those who make an industry out of it.

If you're not someone who normally does a significant amount of work on your car yourself, I wouldn't recommend trying to part out a car yourself.
Old 08-09-2010, 07:29 PM
beentherebaby
Racer

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by NinetyOneC2
I put the 964 and related costs on the "entertainment" budgets.
How do I get one of those? ^^^^^^
Old 08-09-2010, 09:16 PM
LastMezger
Rennlist Member

Received 140 Likes on 92 Posts

Originally Posted by beentherebaby
How do I get one of those? ^^^^^^
Creative accounting
Old 08-09-2010, 09:22 PM
Doug&Julie
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 7 Likes on 6 Posts

Originally Posted by ilko
OK, now to Doug's question, it seems that nobody has put a real number yet. If the car's interior is black and exterior and engine/drivetrain are in good condition you could get $12-14K for everything. That will take dedication, hard work, lots of hours in the garage and lots of hours on the internet looking up information about how to disassemble the car and then lots of hours peddling the actual parts. Did I say it will be time consuming? So you need to ask yourself how much all that is worth to you.

I did it a few years back and if I had the time I'd probably do it again. You learn a lot about the car and yourself. I had a track accident and for a few days I felt very beat and defeated. Then I decided that I'll try to get as much as I can for the car and buy and build up another one. That was my goal and motivation behind it. Without that the carcass would probably still rot in my garage.
Thanks so much! I think your numbers might be a bit optimistic for my car, but it still presents an interesting idea.

FWIW I parted out a '73 that had a recently rebuilt motor, only to be hit by an uninsured motorist shortly after! I used the motor in my '72 and sold enough parts to pay for the transplant. I know, very different than a 964 C4. But I'm not totally ignorant to what I'd be up against.
Old 08-09-2010, 10:36 PM
Streetfighter
Rennlist Member

My two cents, just drive the car and enjoy it. Parting it out is a pain in the *** and not worth it if you ask me. These cars are meant to be driven and enjoyed, the maintenance is sometimes half the battle, but if you can do it yourself, dig in and learn what a 964 is all about. If after all your projects you still have doubts then sell it to someone who continue the care taking. We all know these are expensive cars, but its the joy that we get from a drive that brings it all back, to why you own a 911.
Old 08-10-2010, 01:00 AM
Oracle
Pro

Doug,
A week ago you posted this quote:
Regardless, I'm looking forward to the new adventure of 964 ownership.
So what happened that changed your mind so drastically? I don't think you found anything terminal with the car, probably you just got one of those moments of realization of "what the hell I'm doing spending so much money on an old car"?

My opinion is that you sit back and relax and wait a few days or weeks before making any decisions like parting out a car... That feeling of spending too much will never go away so you just have to learn to live with it... that's why I recommended you to fix as you go along not spend just because the parts are old like the coils, wires and other stuff that some people in this site like to recommend. You add all parts that you need to "spend" just to true up the car and is easily $3k or more!

At least in a few years you can speak of personal experience what it was to have a Porsche instead of lamenting.. (ask any old people and they'll tell you what they regret mostly is they never tried other things in life).

Best luck.
Old 08-10-2010, 02:09 AM
race911
Rennlist Member

Received 9 Likes on 8 Posts

I'm still not following what's so horribly wrong with this car. I saw another thread that referenced axle boots, and another lamenting not being able to afford 18" wheels. I've probably got enough 964 crap laying around to make a car like this whole for zero out of pocket. As others have said over and over above, when they get to this point in their life it's all on owner maintenance/repair to make the cars at all economically feasible. (And I don't follow at all that 964s are destined to go down the road of the 924/944 or 914; only a 2.7L 911 is the ugly stepchild, and that can be nearly 100% remedied by plugging in a 3.0 or 3.2.)
Old 08-10-2010, 04:13 AM
boxsey911
Nordschleife Master

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Doug, you sound like many of us when we first bought our 964. Especially those of us that bought at the lower end of the market. We are proud and excited about our first 964. We want to turn into the best it can be. We identify a few things that we think need to be sorted out immediately and get them done. We then start to go out of our way to find problems. The list becomes very long. They prey on our mind. We spend money on sorting them out. We start resenting the car because of the money it is costing us. We then realize that many of those items don't actually need immediate attention. Many of them can wait a very long time because they don't actually stop us from driving and enjoying the car. The solution is to set ourselves a budget for the year that we allow ourselves to spend. And this budget must be an amount that we can afford. It must not put us into debt because a debt is not easy to pay off even by drastic measures of selling the car.

For the record, I have in 3 years spent the equivalent amount to the original purchase price on fixes and ugrades (engine rebuild, suspension, brakes, seats and lots of other stuff). I'll admit that I got a bit carried away but always made sure I could afford it. My annual budget is now somewhat smaller and next year most of it will be going on a 3 day trackday at Spa Francorchamps rather than other physical stuff than can wait. As you say, it's not worth putting life on hold because you 'think' that the car needs something.

Best wishes

Steve
Old 08-10-2010, 04:46 AM
sml
Three Wheelin'

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Is it post purchase dissonance?
Old 08-10-2010, 05:34 AM
Unkle
Pro

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Lets cut to the chase,

Can I have first refusal on the central informer and the rear fog light switch...

Only kidding.
Old 08-10-2010, 08:28 AM
Doug&Julie
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 7 Likes on 6 Posts

Originally Posted by Unkle
Lets cut to the chase,

Can I have first refusal on the central informer and the rear fog light switch...
LOL!

Car is fine. There will be no parting out. Thanks.
Old 08-10-2010, 09:01 AM
Carrera51
Rennlist Member

Received 237 Likes on 143 Posts

Doug:
Was the previous owner driving it regularly, or letting it sit most of the time. I have found that with the 964, the more it is driven, the less problems I have. I picked mine up from my dad when he decided he wasn't going to use it much anymore. I travel a lot for work and drive it on trips occasionally which are usually a minimum of 250 miles round trip. The car is much happier on extended cruises rather than lots of short stop and go trips. The alternator recently expired, but that is it. Saving for a clutch which will come this winter. It has an oil leak that appears to be coming from the passenger side cam cover. Nothing serious, but I will address it later when the budget permits.

What I would do is make a list of the pros and cons of the car. I know of two positives from reading your posts, its an interesting color you don't see everyday. I have never seen a Red Velvet 964 in person. Plus it has a 93 motor. Nothing wrong with that. I would fix the must do items and leave the rest for now. You mention it is leaking oil in several places. How often do you have to add oil to keep the level between the two marks on the dipstick? All your buddies here on Rennlist will be glad to help you address the issues.

Quick Reply: How much is my C4 worth totally parted out?