G-Pipe or Cup Pipe or both or TOO LOUD

Search this Thread

Old 07-06-2010, 06:08 PM
l.chadburn
Instructor

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default G-Pipe or Cup Pipe or both or TOO LOUD

Hi all

I am thinking about making some slight mods to my 1992 C4 Cab.

I have looked at fitting at G pipe, until I dropped on a Cup Pipe which I understand allows you to remove the large silencer just under the rear bumper.

I do not track my car so I am wondering if replacing both silencers with these pipes will be too loud and if I should replace only one, which one do you suggest I do.

i also intend to change the air filter.

Regards Lee
Old 07-06-2010, 06:54 PM
raspberryroadster
Three Wheelin'

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

well if you do both primary & 2ndary delete you will certainly get attention.............may as well do sport cat or cat delete in the process !
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=iQx649QcwOg

there are those here that favor primary delete (aka cup pipe) or 2ndary delete (g pipe)....removing both imo for street car may be bit much (but nil wrong in that).

i replaced the primary with a cup pipe and retained 2ndary am very happy with the result - both sound plus removing about 10kg from rear of these cars not a bad thing (also "lost" rear engine pan in the process which generally considered good thing).

in any event lots of posts here on this subject.....
Old 07-06-2010, 07:41 PM
Steve Weiner-Rennsport Systems
RL Technical Advisor

Received 64 Likes on 48 Posts

My best advice for those looking for nicer sound without booming inside the car is to leave the primary muffler alone and install a secondary muffler bypass (G-pipe).

This setup also retains the best low & mid-range torque for max acceleration which is important (unless one installs close-ratio gears).
Old 07-06-2010, 09:24 PM
PNine64
Pro

Received 8 Likes on 5 Posts

Mine came with a primary bypass and I occassionally put on a gpipe to screw around. It really is loud for full time use. I worried about my passengers and hearing loss. Yeah...not kidding.
Old 07-06-2010, 10:18 PM
mkd944
Racer

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

You have to choose between listening to the music from the engine or the music from your sound system. You won't be able to do both at the same time. At least not very enjoyably. I run with a G-pipe most of the time on my car but, occasionally, I think...it would be nice if I could hear the stereo a little better.
Old 07-06-2010, 10:39 PM
ACSGP
Pro

I've just put in a cup bypass pipe, replacing the primary muffler.

The sound is deeper now, but there's a certain resonance between 2-3K rpm, a deep hollow sound in the cabin which is slightly irritating. I've asked the boards abt this, whether I could be using the wrong pipe which gauge is too thin, therefore resonating. Not sure that the answer is.

Last edited by ACSGP; 07-06-2010 at 11:14 PM.
Old 07-06-2010, 10:40 PM
kopo
Instructor

Ive got the cup my-pass on the car now and the G-pipe on its way to me in the mail. I'll be able to tell you more in a couple of days. If it sounds like a ALMS GT3 I'll be real happy. Thats what I'm shooting for. Kopo

Last edited by kopo; 07-07-2010 at 12:08 AM.
Old 07-06-2010, 10:42 PM
kopo
Instructor

But I'm thinking its going to be a bit loud for my taste. Almost forgot, I also have a cat by-pass installed......
Old 07-06-2010, 11:05 PM
kboustani
Racer

Received 16 Likes on 5 Posts

i have a g-pipe on mine and just love it.i have tried both primary and secondary by-pass,the g pipe is deffinetly the better choice.i just got back from driving mine and buy am i smiling.these cars are just amzing.
Old 07-06-2010, 11:15 PM
ACSGP
Pro

Originally Posted by kboustani
i have a g-pipe on mine and just love it.i have tried both primary and secondary by-pass,the g pipe is deffinetly the better choice.i just got back from driving mine and buy am i smiling.these cars are just amzing.
Why do you prefer the g-pipe?
Old 07-07-2010, 12:08 AM
Frank 993 C4S
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 843 Likes on 518 Posts

I love my cup pipe with cat bypass:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6xv5Kjtxgys
Old 07-07-2010, 12:20 AM
stinkydog
Instructor

Originally Posted by mkd944
You have to choose between listening to the music from the engine or the music from your sound system.
My sound system sucks donkey nuts, even after replacing 4 speakers. At best, the radio is good for keeping us informed on local high school sports and such.

I'd have a new system put in... but, I'm cheap, and the engine sounds too damn good.
Old 07-07-2010, 12:43 AM
Oracle
Pro

I replaced the primary muffler with with a Dansk and get no, zero, nada resonance.. I love it!
If the pipe diameter is a bit wider than it should then you'll get some sound effects from too loud to resonance.. I know that influence the sound because my old Nissan I played with different pipes until I found the right one.

Originally Posted by ACSGP
I've just put in a cup bypass pipe, replacing the primary muffler.

The sound is deeper now, but there's a certain resonance between 2-3K rpm, a deep hollow sound in the cabin which is slightly irritating. I've asked the boards abt this, whether I could be using the wrong pipe which gauge is too thin, therefore resonating. Not sure that the answer is.
Old 07-07-2010, 01:39 AM
raspberryroadster
Three Wheelin'

Originally Posted by Oracle
I replaced the primary muffler with with a Dansk and get no, zero, nada resonance.. I love it!
If the pipe diameter is a bit wider than it should then you'll get some sound effects from too loud to resonance.. I know that influence the sound because my old Nissan I played with different pipes until I found the right one.
same here, dansk cup pipe which is what "strosek" used to upgrade their 964 series....

and to other posters, original sound systems on these cars suck, in addition to after market (bostons or infiniti may be best) speakers/tweeters really need a good amp upgrade - esp. if its a cab
Old 07-07-2010, 02:30 AM
J richard
Rennlist Member

Received 40 Likes on 29 Posts

Full cup exhaust, all bypassed is sweet, for the track, way too much for the street. When I fire the race car up at the track heads snap over to the car, kinda cool but you need ear plugs or your ears are ringing after a sprint race.

It might be tolerable with the euro pre muffler that replaces the cat, not the bypass tube...

Quick Reply: G-Pipe or Cup Pipe or both or TOO LOUD