Sponsored by:

G-Pipe or Cup Pipe or both or TOO LOUD

Search this Thread

Old 07-07-2010, 02:57 AM
Cupcar#12
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I run all Bypassed at Auto-x's (with a chip to match) - Way Way Loud (and great)
Street/Track - Modified Pirmary (gutted mostly) and G-pipe (cup version which includes the tail pipe), most track events will nessatate a stock primary or secondary.

Steve is right on about the curves with the various configs - best normal chip config is bypassed secondary with a Welt or stock chip and a Cup cut air box. Nothing fancy
Old 07-07-2010, 04:23 AM
wagonface
Instructor

Lee,

Have a look at the FAQ page on www.964uk.com for the opinion on cup pipe vs g-pipe. My turbo came with a g pipe and it sounds great, albeit a little loud when parking on my street in London. My personal preference would be something a little more subtle, so if I was doing this myself I would probably opt for a cup pipe.

Definitely do this asap - the new sound will be great whichever one you choose. Josh
Old 07-07-2010, 05:17 AM
ACSGP
Pro

Mine could be louder than your average cup primary bypass as early 964s in Singapore didn't have a cat.

Mech suggests waiting for a couple of month for the pipe to soot-up before trying the Dansk pipe, which I found for sale on Design 911.
Old 07-07-2010, 10:25 AM
Gus
Rennlist Member

Received 64 Likes on 54 Posts

Replace the primary muffler across the rear of the engine with a by pass - gives you the best sound and 'most important " drops a lot of extra weight off the tail of the car. If you want to gain more power then replace the CAT with a by pass - Leave the secondary muffler on. This will give you a nice exhaust sound, improved power, and weight reduction. The "G" pipe is not worth the time or the $$.
Old 07-07-2010, 10:59 AM
Greg964
Pro

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I have had both; I definitely prefer the primary muffler bypass (aka Cup pipe). It is a bit throatier than stock without being boomy. The G pipe was just to boomy for my tastes.
Old 07-07-2010, 12:28 PM
etom
Three Wheelin'

Received 107 Likes on 64 Posts

I have tried all the combos. Settled with primary and cat bypasses. Everything bypassed is silly-loud, except at the track.
Old 07-07-2010, 11:03 PM
kboustani
Racer

Received 16 Likes on 5 Posts

is anyone runnig g-pipe and cat by-pass.do you like it?
Old 07-07-2010, 11:13 PM
Steve Weiner-Rennsport Systems
RL Technical Advisor

Received 64 Likes on 48 Posts

Originally Posted by kboustani
is anyone runnig g-pipe and cat by-pass.do you like it?
We have done a lot of cars with that configuration and personally, thats my favorite for its great sound and excellent torque, especially with our custom software. We saw good power gains on the engine dyno.
Old 07-07-2010, 11:45 PM
CraigC
Racer

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

+1 on cat bypass and G pipe. Sounds good and lets car rev faster.
Old 07-08-2010, 07:52 AM
pantera43
Pro

+2 on cat bypass (Fabspeed) and G pipe (Dansk) also.

Definitely uncorks the car, drops quite a bit of weight from rear and broadens the power band. Pulls hard from low all the way up. As CraigC mentioned revs a lot quicker.

Dan
Old 07-08-2010, 10:33 PM
Jimjacqmx5
Instructor

Wow. This thread comes around every week!
I am not sure of those who complain re resonance with primary bypass. I have a 100 cell CAT and from maxspeed in canada and a Danske primary bypass and it sounds horn but absolutely no resonance.
It is also NOT loud in the car, especially on cruise. Although I track my car, I enjoy nice clean tunes to and from the race track AND use my car as a daily driver.

I am thinking of doing both pipes for track days cause it sounds nuts.

And Pantera43, that looks like a seriously fast section of twisty track in your avatar. Wouldn't want to lift through there!
Old 07-08-2010, 11:00 PM
pantera43
Pro

Originally Posted by Jimjacqmx5
Wow. This thread comes around every week!
I am not sure of those who complain re resonance with primary bypass. I have a 100 cell CAT and from maxspeed in canada and a Danske primary bypass and it sounds horn but absolutely no resonance.
It is also NOT loud in the car, especially on cruise. Although I track my car, I enjoy nice clean tunes to and from the race track AND use my car as a daily driver.

I am thinking of doing both pipes for track days cause it sounds nuts.

And Pantera43, that looks like a seriously fast section of twisty track in your avatar. Wouldn't want to lift through there!
Jim, the track is VIR (Virginia Intl Raceway). Great observation. It really is a pretty fast section. You do your best not to lift!

Dan
Old 12-27-2010, 02:26 AM
ozmatt964
Instructor

After a few months of eagerly awaited anticipation, I installed a DT Long Neck G Pipe on my 964 and I have to say after firing up the car for the first time I am not a fan of the new sound. At low revs the cars sounds like a hotted up WRX! (not good, as we have too many of these in Oz), yet over 3000rpm it sounds great. So the G pipe is back off the car and I am going to try a Cup pipe next to see if that just increases the standard air cooled sound by a few decibels.

At the end of the day I know this is a personal opinion......
Old 12-27-2010, 11:13 AM
boxsey911
Nordschleife Master

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by ozmatt964
After a few months of eagerly awaited anticipation, I installed a DT Long Neck G Pipe on my 964 and I have to say after firing up the car for the first time I am not a fan of the new sound. At low revs the cars sounds like a hotted up WRX! (not good, as we have too many of these in Oz), yet over 3000rpm it sounds great. So the G pipe is back off the car and I am going to try a Cup pipe next to see if that just increases the standard air cooled sound by a few decibels.

At the end of the day I know this is a personal opinion......
I didn't like the G pipe either. Here's my comparison of a totally stock exhaust and a cup pipe:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=iYcPJihLhAI
Old 12-28-2010, 10:29 AM
The Flying Dutchman
Instructor

+3 cat and secondary bypass. Tried all combinations with primary and secondary pass (4 opions). And then eventually decided to only take the secondary bypass, but also remove the inners of my catalyst.

Primary and secondary bypass gave me headaches, while I really like a loud sounding Porsche. Secondary and catbypass was just ideal. Loud but not too loud, and at high rev's makes it more sounding like a race car.

Ideally however I would have a (custom made) 993-like mufflersetup with muffler channels of equal length etc. and than try with different muffler setting.

At the end of the day all 964's with same exhaust set-ups seem to sound a little bit different.

Quick Reply: G-Pipe or Cup Pipe or both or TOO LOUD