Sponsored by:

Effect of Rear Quarter Panel Replacement

Search this Thread

Old 06-27-2010, 11:00 PM
RonCT
Rennlist Member

Received 10 Likes on 8 Posts
Default Effect of Rear Quarter Panel Replacement

Need some help and I couldn't find anything via search. I'm looking at a 964 that sounds great but has had a rear quarter panel replaced. The records give the figure for parts and labor to "replace". No other damage, so it appears it was not a significant accident - just the quarter got damaged and it was replaced.

I'm not even sure of exactly what's involved in replacling one, but I'm guessing it means cutting and welding of metal, griding / sanding, preparation and paint. A little insight to the process of replacement and any long-term issues I might encounter would be appreciated. If it were a stand-alone part, like a front hood, I wouldn't be concerned - things happen and people repaint a front hood. But this feels more structural and so I'm a little anxious.

Also, any opinion on "value" aspects of having a rear quarter being replaced? For example, if the car is great with only 40k miles and it had no damage vs. it had a rear quarter replaced, would you assign a "devaluation" factor?

Thanks,
Ron
Old 06-28-2010, 12:13 AM
CT944
Drifting

Received 157 Likes on 110 Posts

I would have to think that if there was any way to save the fender, even if it meant to bondo it up, it would have been done. Going through the process to re-weld a new one is a significant effort.

That said, the PO could have been very specific about the repair and perhaps wanted it to be repaired 'properly' with no expense spared. Not sure if you know the PO or not to make that assessment.

Overall, I would not think it is a big deal as long as the rear alignment is in good order. Take a bunch of measurements on both sides of the rear to make sure they are even.
Old 06-28-2010, 05:27 AM
RonCT
Rennlist Member

The former owner was particular. The records are all there from the selling dealership that did 100% of all the work on this car, including oil changes, new batteries, etc. -- things some people might have done elsewhere. This body work was done at the selling dealership and I have to believe it was done correctly, but it's something that's nagging at me. The car is far away, so it isn't easy to check myself, though I do have an independent PPI lined up. I'll have them pay particular attention to this issue.

Any sense on value issues down the road? I suppose I'm willing to pay less for it because it's had a quarter panel replaced, so the next owner some day will probably feel the same.
Old 06-28-2010, 07:44 AM
boxsey911
Nordschleife Master

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I can understand your nagging feeling. Records for my 964 show that a rear light cluster and bumper corner were placed many years ago. Such light damage would suggest something like a parking incident. However, closer inspection shows that the rear quarter on that side has also been replaced. Yet there is no record of it being done. So in my experience records don't always tell the full story.

Personally I feel that unless some one is after a perfect, unmolested 964, a replacement panel or two has little effect on the value if it is done well. In fact, the new quarter on mine is better than the original other side which I had to get a body shop to sort out some rust that was breaking through.
Old 06-28-2010, 08:09 AM
Geoffrey
Nordschleife Master

Received 12 Likes on 10 Posts

Replacing a quarter panel on these cars is not that big a deal, and if done correctly will be fine. HOWEVER, you need to ensure it was done correctly because if not, because there are no fender liners in the car water can get between the seams. Have Automobile Associates check it out and let you know. If it checks out fine, I'd have no issues, especially if a driver or a track car.

HOWEVER, I'd use that as leverage to negotiate a lower price, and recognize that you'll turn some potential buyers away when you go to sell the car simply because it has that type of damage.
Old 06-28-2010, 08:21 AM
RonCT
Rennlist Member

There are a few issues and some are hard to know without taking the car apart (ie: If this quarter panel repair was done to restoration standards). It's a very low mile car I'm after to be a keeper, so I'm willing to spend more to get the same basic car but without body work. Geoffrey - let me know if you hear of one. Thanks all for the help.
Old 06-28-2010, 08:51 AM
Metal Guru
Rennlist Member

Received 429 Likes on 309 Posts

There are two ways to replace a quarter panel (1) replace the portion from the quarter window down (a cut is made at the apex of the quarter window to the rear deck aperture). (2) replace the entire panel, which includes the quarter window aperture and is spot welded to the rain gutter at the top, the B pillar and the rear deck aperture. This is the preferred (and labor intensive) way to replace.

In the case of repair method (1), if the replacement panel is properly aligned (how well does it match up with the door when the door is closed, for instance) and if the new panel was butt welded to the existing panel and properly rustproofed there should be no issue. However, if the mating panels were lap welded, corrosion usually occurs in the joint (from dirt and moisture thrown up by the rear tire that gets trapped in the joint) and will be easy to see as it will bubble below the paint.

Try to have a peek in the top of the wheelhouse. If you can see and feel a lump running on a line from the quarter window to the rear deck aperture there may be a corrosion issue present or in the future.
Old 06-28-2010, 12:07 PM
mark lintott
Rennlist Member

Received 25 Likes on 19 Posts
Default been there...

This is how they do it - at least in the main dealers here.

As metal guru said cut below the rear quarter window and butt weld it. Should be almost invisible if done right. But if done wrong it will never be good in the long run. Make sure it is properly aligned with the door shut and the engine lid etc. Mine came out well when it was done - that was about 5 years ago now and no sign of any defect at all.

Good luck

Mark

Taiwan/UK
Attached Images    

Quick Reply: Effect of Rear Quarter Panel Replacement