Sponsored by:

Crankshaft seal leaking

Search this Thread

Old 06-01-2010, 02:31 PM
SNOWBIRD
Pro

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Crankshaft seal leaking

Well, I'm told 3,000 miles a year isn't enough and thats my issue.. What do you guys think? Sounds like $1500, I think that sounds like a good price, agree?... For now, I'm having the oil changed back to dino oil since I didn't have the issue when I was using that, and I'll deal with it in the fall when I get back here in Florida again nearby the shop (a real PIA at home in NJ and nobody I trust)..
Old 06-01-2010, 02:37 PM
Rocket Rob
IHI KING!
Rennlist Member

Received 223 Likes on 177 Posts

Which seal is leaking? The one between the crankshaft and the flywheel? Or the crank and the fan belts? If its the flywheel, it sounds like you are being quoted the cost of pulling the motor and trans.
Old 06-01-2010, 03:00 PM
SNOWBIRD
Pro

The flywheel one I assume. I'm picking it up in a little while, I'll find out for sure then.
Old 06-01-2010, 06:42 PM
ian89C4
Pro

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

It could be as little as it not being seated all the way. Hopefully you don't need a new one. Good luck.
Old 06-05-2010, 12:53 PM
SNOWBIRD
Pro

Fast forward 4 days and 170 miles with dino oil. One droplet the size of a nickle on the cardboard under the car... I have my answer on what to do about this leak!
Old 06-05-2010, 05:10 PM
altarchsa
Three Wheelin'

I've developed a serious leak that I think might be the crank seal at the flywheel. I thought it was the oil pressure sender at first, but I replaced it and no improvement. Completely wet all around the bell housing and dripping on the front crossover between the heat exchanger causing a lot of smoke. Had to park it. Right side is completely soaked around starter and orange warm air hose to interior, front of 2nd muffler and shock.

I'm going to give it a cleaning and see if it might be something other than the seal. I just remember I had a little trouble seating that seal when I reassembled on rebuild.

Where was your's leaking? What is this magic dino oil?
Old 06-05-2010, 07:54 PM
darth
Burning Brakes

FYI

Sometimes the seal wears a groove in the crank (i.e. especialy if oil changes aren't regular and abraisive particles in the oil accelrate the wear) which a new seal won't fix. There are kits for some North American engines in which a tube slips over and is sealed to the crank along with a seal made for the new dimension fixes the leak.

Bill
Old 06-05-2010, 09:11 PM
altarchsa
Three Wheelin'

Thanks for the idea, but I don't think this is the case since it was not leaking before or after the rebuild. I think it's more likely that the seal may have become unseated.

Quick Reply: Crankshaft seal leaking