Sponsored by:

New WEVO mounts shredded! :(

Search this Thread

Old 06-01-2010, 08:27 AM
Amroth
Racer

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default New WEVO mounts shredded! :(

I just had these installed! I decided to check the mounts since I was getting lots of cabin vibration above 5k RPMs. I have only been driving the car for 2 days. I talked to the mechanic at the OPC and told him to install them as they are packaged, in the same order. Pretty simple right?

By the way I have already read this thread, the elastomer is damaged just like 911Jetta's:http://picasaweb.google.com/udoreisi...lANDReinstall#

So I took two photos, and it seems like they are mounted correctly. I don't know why they would shred like that?

Is it possible that the mechanic screwed up by putting the large washer under the carrier, then realised his mistake and put them back on the top? Is the nut too tight?

Thanks in advance!
Attached Images   
Old 06-01-2010, 08:34 AM
Wachuko
Professor of Pending Projects
Rennlist Member

Received 21 Likes on 21 Posts

Subscribed... I am about to order a set to mount them in my car...
Old 06-01-2010, 09:52 AM
hawk911
Race Car

well y'all get it sorted because I think I'm due for a set later this year also.
Old 06-01-2010, 10:00 AM
911Jetta
Rennlist Member

Received 485 Likes on 278 Posts

Originally Posted by Amroth
Is it possible that the mechanic screwed up by putting the large washer under the carrier, then realised his mistake and put them back on the top? Is the nut too tight?
Armoth,
I know the feeling!

I wouldn't drive the (anymore) car with the motor mount pillows damaged like. I contacted Wevo directly when this happened to me. They were more concerned that the crush washer was damaged through the faulty install, the pillows were already toast at that point.

I see that big shiny washer above the engine carrier...so I'm scratching my head as to what could be wrong with the rest of the install?

Were the two pillows reversed? When I incorrectly installed the washer above the engine carrier, it put downward pressure on the bolt and top cap pushing the elastomer pillow down and cutting a ring along the top as it pressed into the top cap. Excess material then was on the top on the engine mount.

I can't see too much in your picture (it's always hard to get good engine shots with these cars!), but it's very strange to see all that damaged elastomer material laying on top of the washer/engine carrier. I think the top and bottom elastomer pillows might have been switched? Otherwise I don't think the excess material could/would end up there?

Big pillow on top/small pillow on bottom.

Otherwise it's very strange that there is that kind of damage since washer is in the correct location above the engine carrier.

Contact Wevo, they were very responsive but this has happened a couple times that I'm aware of. A simple parts diagram (referencing the engine carrier location) would clear up all potential confusion.

I feel your pain...it's a great upgrade; wish you could be enjoying it right now!
Attached Images    
Old 06-01-2010, 10:22 AM
garrett376
RL Community Team
Rennlist Member

Received 572 Likes on 437 Posts

These mounts are not torqued as much as the originals... hopefully your mechanic knows the correct setting. (40ft.lb vs 62)
Old 06-01-2010, 10:50 AM
Amroth
Racer

I will make sure that when it is replaced I will use the correct torque, but even if the mechanic torqued it 22 ft.lb tighter than he should have would it really create this failure?

911Jetta, I agree it does look reversed doesnt it... do you think the top and bottom pillows were switched by mistake at WEVO? I dont think my mechanic switched them, I trust him and he said all he did was chop off the cable tie from the assembly and install it on top of the carrier! Let me snap a couple of photos showing the top of the mounts and get back to you...
Old 06-01-2010, 01:51 PM
Amroth
Racer

Here is the top of the mount. They both look the same, there is no torn elastomer being squeezed out the top like your case, Jetta. But there IS torn elastomer being squeezed out of the bottom. My first impression was that the pillows were reversed, but when I compare my photo to the ones on the website they look correct

It's mind boggling. To me, the possibilities are:

1 - top and bottom pillows reversed, but looking at the photos I doubt it
2 - Bolt torqued to original Porsche motor mount spec which is too much (seems unlikely to me though)
3 - Very rare manufacturing failure

The second photo is what came off the bottom section of the left mount...

I'll try emailing them and calling them now
Attached Images   
Old 06-01-2010, 02:01 PM
Marc Shaw
Super Duper Moderator
Lifetime Rennlist

Received 14 Likes on 12 Posts

Originally Posted by Amroth
I will make sure that when it is replaced I will use the correct torque, but even if the mechanic torqued it 22 ft.lb tighter than he should have would it really create this failure?
Yes, it could.

I inadvertantly over-tightened my Wevo's on initial install (torque wrench not properly clicked into setting) and it mashed them after driving for only a few weeks.

Marc
Old 06-01-2010, 03:26 PM
axl911
Drifting

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts

Originally Posted by garrett376
These mounts are not torqued as much as the originals... hopefully your mechanic knows the correct setting. (40ft.lb vs 62)
Really? I thought Wevo recommend to be at 63ft.lb.
Old 06-01-2010, 04:12 PM
Marc Shaw
Super Duper Moderator
Lifetime Rennlist

Received 14 Likes on 12 Posts

Originally Posted by axl911
Really? I thought Wevo recommend to be at 63ft.lb.
See here.

"Technical Note: The M12 bolt through the Engine or Transmission mount should be tightened to 40 ft/lbs or 55 Nm. The M12 Schnorr (serrated) washer should be installed directly under the head of the M12 bolt. The M8 hardware should be tightened to 18 ft/lbs or 25 Nm using the original arrangement of washer and nut."

Marc
Old 06-01-2010, 05:52 PM
Amroth
Racer

I had a talk with one of the guys at WEVO. He was very helpful and we concluded that yes it was over tightened. So Garret and Mark you were right. Looking at the photos carefully you can see that the bottom washer is bowled into the engine carrier.

There is still some elastomer left and the top pillows are intact so I will drive it around slowly and carefully for the time being until the new ones arrive.

So anybody who's planning to get a pair of these mounts, don't be discouraged. The quality and finish are superb, it's just that the mechanic went a little turbo with the torque wrench. Not really his fault as I should have given him clear instructions as it isn't a typical OEM part. Live and learn!

Thanks again guys
Old 06-01-2010, 06:03 PM
kos11-12
Three Wheelin'

Received 23 Likes on 22 Posts

Hi Guys,

I am just about to fit mine, I just took them out of the box to see what is what and here is how they are in term of what is where also there is a technical note saying the M 12 needs 40 ft.lb or 55 Nm and the M8 needs 18 ft.lb or 25 Nm, it says the Schnorr (serrated) washer should be instalated directly under the head of M12

Konstantin C4 92
Attached Images   
Old 06-01-2010, 06:19 PM
Amroth
Racer

Oh and some extra information for those who don't know it: Those seeking the softer ride of the black pillows can use black on the top and blue on the bottom. The top ones do most of the absorption and blue ones on the bottom are more durable in the long run...

Quick Reply: New WEVO mounts shredded! :(