Sponsored by:

Audiophiles???

Search this Thread

Old 05-31-2010, 01:55 AM
danburke
Intermediate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Audiophiles???

Hi there fellow 964 drivers. What do I do when my radio is stock and my speakers are all... blown.... by he previous owner. Anyone got the audio thing nailed down? I'm a musician and audiophile so I'd prefer some nice sounds and would love your ideas/ experience.

Thanks!
Old 05-31-2010, 03:06 AM
Cam Arnott
Rennlist Member

Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts

Dan its a Porsche, all of the music you need comes from the rear More loud pedal !
Old 05-31-2010, 03:06 AM
anto1150
Pro

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

If you want to leave your stock radio, go with Infinity Kappa series speackers and you'll be ok. If you add a little good amplifier under the passenger's seat you'll be happy.
P.S. do not use original crossovers; use the Infinity one or, better, a custom made one (that's the core of the system).

ciao
Old 05-31-2010, 11:00 AM
psiegel
Racer

Received 15 Likes on 3 Posts

As an Audiophile you know it can get expensive so it all depends on how much you want to spend and what you want to accomplish. I wanted a decent system that had the ability to play CD, I pod and satellite radio all integrated with good full range sound at a moderate price installed. I also wanted the system to not jump in your face (looks wise) and take away from the simplicity of the interior of our cars. So I installed the following and am very please with the outcome:
Head unit: Alpine CDA-0887
Amp: Focal Solid 4- Located in the trunk mounted vertically on a board attached to my strut brace.
Speakers: Focal Polyglass 165 VR3 6.5-Inch 3-Way Component Speaker - I personally love 3-way speakers as i feel the sound is much fuller. The tweeter and the woofer fit in the existing door speaker locations without much modifications and the midrange fits nicely just below the tweeter. These speakers are also made for a shallow mount application as we have in our doors.
Other: I removed the speakers in the rear deck and recovered which looks great uncluttered.
I pod: the unit will control the I pod and i wanted the I pod to be out of sight but easily accessible so I took out the tray insert in the ash tray location, modified slightly so the I pod can slip in completely with the little door closed. I needed to do the modification since i use an i-pod classic so that there is enough room to download all songs in lossless.
Also, read about the head unit as it has a number of cool functions that can help sound shape the audio to fit the cabin.
Good luck
Old 05-31-2010, 11:10 AM
Andy Kay
Rennlist Member

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

I suggest you contact Rod Birch at CarAudio Innovations in Roseville CA 916.780.9450 or 800. 892.6430. Goggle him or Porsche Car Audio. You won't be disappointed.
Old 05-31-2010, 12:32 PM
Rally Guy
Three Wheelin'

Received 9 Likes on 2 Posts

Another hard-core 2-channel home audiophile in the midst of a 964 install - I'll let you know how it goes. Alpine top-of-the-line deck - Sounstream 4-channel amp and Focal's. Will keep you posted.

I don't think anything in the stock set up is going to make you happy. HU has a crappy pre section and DA, stock wiring is inadequate and speakers are worth about a dollar. Someone opened up the stock x-overs recently - pretty cheap stuff there too and odd x-over points and slopes. Replace everything.

RK
Old 05-31-2010, 02:53 PM
xeps
Instructor

IMO, the 964 will need additional attention to sound deadening to remotely approach having good sound. Rather than do this, I tore out the sound deadening and stereo, and put the funds toward my home system..

You can find some quality sound deadening products here, however: www.secondskinaudio.com
Old 05-31-2010, 02:56 PM
Rally Guy
Three Wheelin'

Received 9 Likes on 2 Posts

No aguement there - I intend to "dynamat" the doors to reduce resonance and colouration.

I get the approach - but saving 1000 or so dollars on car stuff isn't going to allow much of an upgrade in my home rig. ; )

Further - I love music and my commute often relegates me to idling or dawdlling along - not the WOT flat-six bliss we all WANT to hear! So it's worth it to me to try to make it a very pleasing audio environment.

RK
Old 05-31-2010, 03:57 PM
hamah
Pro

Sorry I can't be much help on the audiophile front. I'm pretty sure the cab was never intended to have a radio in it at all but...

What do you plan to do with the original radio? Reason I ask is that depending on the unit I'm looking for the whole thing or the trim ring that goes around it.

(I need the car to be 100% stock looking in a few years to get a collector plate and aftermarket radios are a definite fail)

Originally Posted by danburke
Hi there fellow 964 drivers. What do I do when my radio is stock and my speakers are all... blown.... by he previous owner. Anyone got the audio thing nailed down? I'm a musician and audiophile so I'd prefer some nice sounds and would love your ideas/ experience.

Thanks!

Last edited by hamah; 05-31-2010 at 04:32 PM.
Old 05-31-2010, 04:08 PM
ltc
Super Moderator
Needs More Cowbell

Lifetime Rennlist

Received 11 Likes on 11 Posts

Audiophile and automobile...just don't go together IMHO.
Way too many problems to deal with ... even with 3 DSP's running EQ's.
(been there, done that).

In the end, you get "it sounds nice"....hardly what I would call studio monitor quality.
Old 05-31-2010, 04:52 PM
xeps
Instructor

Originally Posted by Rally Guy
I get the approach - but saving 1000 or so dollars on car stuff isn't going to allow much of an upgrade in my home rig. ; )
Agreed, though I think you are looking to spend significantly more than $1000 to make a 964 sound good.

My experience prior to removing the stereo was that the engine/exhaust noise (with primary bypass) was drowning out anything resembling a low frequency. Not a ton of space for a decent sub, though you could make it work. Depends on how functional you need the rear seats to be, I suppose.
Old 05-31-2010, 06:17 PM
watsonj0
Instructor

I went with a Focal,Audison setup from Ron Birch circa 4k without the head unit sounds great give him a call he has the 964's down to an art as far as sound systems. I am pretty fussy but cant find any fault with the system
Old 05-31-2010, 08:34 PM
psiegel
Racer

Received 15 Likes on 3 Posts

Which Focals were installed?
Old 05-31-2010, 09:35 PM
kboustani
Racer

Received 16 Likes on 5 Posts

my 964 is at the stereo shop.i am puting eclipse 5030 deck with blutooth.i told my installer that i want to keep all speaker grills on,we are puting a new amp and they are moding me a sub behind the passenger side.i will post the results when i get it back.
Old 05-31-2010, 11:26 PM
watsonj0
Instructor

I don't remember the model #'s but
Focal 5.25" high end door speaker component set in the front doors
Focal 4" coaxial rear speakers with adapter plates
CAI subwoofer package with 2 x Focal 8" subs

Quick Reply: Audiophiles???