Sponsored by:

is this for real......

Search this Thread

Old 05-03-2010, 09:12 PM
sundog
Race Director

Received 197 Likes on 105 Posts

Originally Posted by NinetyOneC2
Though I don't mind automatic cars at all I also don't mind driving the 911 in traffic with a manual gearbox. If anything I think a manual makes you a more alert driver.
When I bought it I did a commute that involved a LOT of stop and go traffic. Shortly after that I had to get another 4-runner, no manual. So I went from 2 manuals to 2 automatics. I really want to change over, and maybe next winter will take the plunge and convert it to a g50. It's just time and money afterall!
Old 05-04-2010, 05:36 AM
TL-Register
Racer

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Gerry - this car was sold last year by Victory Motorcars in total original state - all shown parts ( wing , brakes etc ) are added later ...

... any replys from Germany for yours ?

Best

Norbert ( www.turbo-look.com )
Old 05-04-2010, 10:41 AM
psiegel
Racer

Received 15 Likes on 3 Posts

I like the tail, LOL
Old 05-04-2010, 11:24 AM
raspberryroadster
Three Wheelin'

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by TL-Register
Gerry - this car was sold last year by Victory Motorcars in total original state - all shown parts ( wing , brakes etc ) are added later ...

... any replys from Germany for yours ?

Best

Norbert ( www.turbo-look.com )
hi norbert, had numerous discussions/ offer from a PCA member in naples,FL
for $30k which i passed on, altho' i think that is likely where the market is.

car is no longer listed in n.amer. as we are trying to determine costs of maintaining it in japan if we take it with us next yr. (during my yrs there i always had relatively new bmw's or alfas). costs of shipping are approx $1600 by ro-ro, $3500 container - ex customs/duties.

i have left it on your site as euro market is higher on the off chance of a higher number, but not sure of import tax implications into france or germany for a purchaser there.

unlikely i can replace it in japan (there is 1 there for sale now for jpy4.6million or approx $50k) so if sold would likely scout for used alfa 147 GTA or lotus elise
which are far cheaper than porsche in tokyo (& as much fun).

cheers
Old 05-04-2010, 12:18 PM
Auto_Werks 3.6
Quit Smokin'
Rennlist Member

Received 303 Likes on 195 Posts

A search yields a lot of these out there in the $23K-$35K range.
What search??? If it truly is an America Roadster, then it's a FACTORY WIDEBODY cab. Probably had turbo brakes to go with the fenders?? Sorry, but if advertised appropriately, it's not a run of the mill 964 cab. You can't throw a rock and hit one at a Porsche gathering. I have only ever seen 2 America Roadsters in the flesh. Seen pleanty of 964 cabs though.
Old 05-04-2010, 12:35 PM
Bearclaw
Three Wheelin'

Location: Seattle xburb - I can't see the Emerald City, but I know it's out there somewhere
Received 5 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by Auto_Werks 3.6
What search??? If it truly is an America Roadster, then it's a FACTORY WIDEBODY cab. Probably had turbo brakes to go with the fenders?? Sorry, but if advertised appropriately, it's not a run of the mill 964 cab. You can't throw a rock and hit one at a Porsche gathering. I have only ever seen 2 America Roadsters in the flesh. Seen pleanty of 964 cabs though.
It's called "Google".

http://www.lemonfree.com/map.php?mak...erica+Roadster

Here's a tip with 30K miles:
http://www.lemonfree.com/58561565.html
Old 05-04-2010, 01:04 PM
TL-Register
Racer

Originally Posted by Bearclaw

in Germany we say : " its like comparing apples and pears " or " Paper is patient "

Best from Germany

Norbert
Old 05-04-2010, 01:40 PM
Auto_Werks 3.6
Quit Smokin'
Rennlist Member

Received 303 Likes on 195 Posts

So one of those cars appeared to actually be an america roadster, and it was $49,000.
The rest appear to be plain jane narrow body 964 cabs. Yes, I see they call the cars "America Roadster", but if you look closely one of them was actually a COUPE.

Honestly, I don't care either way, because I much prefer the acordian bumper "speedster" trim cars to the America Roadster.... To each their own, but I believe you are still comparing apples and pears as Norbert commented
Old 05-04-2010, 01:43 PM
raspberryroadster
Three Wheelin'

you are correct, wtl cab (aka amer roadster) from the factory with 17"wheels/turbo brakes/turbo suspension, not sure of mix between tip/manual.......tips seem to trade at a discount. usually 1 or 2 is on the market at any given time in the U.S., lots of big asking prices but i think in reality it is where PCA values them....say average $30,000 with decent mileage.
Old 05-04-2010, 02:10 PM
cobalt
Rennlist Member

Received 2,165 Likes on 1,299 Posts

I guess that is so out in Ohio but around here you see quite a number. I know of a dozen turbo S's around the NYC area and they are far more rare. AR's are not abundant but I stumble across them more often than you might think.

You will always find Ruf asking a premium just like RPM. Especially if this car was modified by Ruf. Ruf vin and Ruf modified cars are some of the few modified Porsche's that can hold value or sometimes increase value depending on mods. If you take a low mileage AR to start you are in the $32-35k mark. Tip might not be everyone's fancy but of all the AR's i have seen I don't recall many being tips. So i would assume they are harder to come by possibly making them worth more not less due to rarity. Add the Ruf work and you could see $42k. Now the speedlines run around $4500 a set used a bit more new if clean and if the turbo S tail (which again is not everyone's taste) is a real factory unit (which is possible since Ruf used these on some of his conversion) It too is worth around $5-6k alone or more to the right buyer. I have one and I would not let it go for less and IMO they are the best looking tail of any single piece tail Porsche used. I for one love the looks of tails on these cars especially widebodies. Not a fan of the plain back end myself and it definitely is a huge plus over the motorized joke that does little to noting at speeds over 120.

So add this all up asking $49,900 and you figure they will probably let it go in the $45k range. Try building one like that for that little off a $27k higher mile AR and you might find you exceed that budget.
Old 05-04-2010, 02:21 PM
parsecnc4
Burning Brakes

Well said Anthony.
Old 05-04-2010, 03:52 PM
Bearclaw
Three Wheelin'

Location: Seattle xburb - I can't see the Emerald City, but I know it's out there somewhere
Received 5 Likes on 2 Posts

So one of those cars appeared to actually be an america roadster, and it was $49,000.
The rest appear to be plain jane narrow body 964 cabs. Yes, I see they call the cars "America Roadster", but if you look closely one of them was actually a COUPE.

Honestly, I don't care either way, because I much prefer the acordian bumper "speedster" trim cars to the America Roadster.... To each their own, but I believe you are still comparing apples and pears as Norbert commented
True enough Ryan, I'll eat crow on this one. Guess I need to look at my own screen.
I have seen a couple go in the 30's in the past couple years (like the eggplant model a while back), but with only 250 copies, they don't change hands often. I just can't see the tip fetching that money no matter what the mods, but it only takes one buyer I guess.
Old 05-04-2010, 09:00 PM
raspberryroadster
Three Wheelin'

Originally Posted by cobalt
I guess that is so out in Ohio but around here you see quite a number. I know of a dozen turbo S's around the NYC area and they are far more rare. AR's are not abundant but I stumble across them more often than you might think.

You will always find Ruf asking a premium just like RPM. Especially if this car was modified by Ruf. Ruf vin and Ruf modified cars are some of the few modified Porsche's that can hold value or sometimes increase value depending on mods. If you take a low mileage AR to start you are in the $32-35k mark. Tip might not be everyone's fancy but of all the AR's i have seen I don't recall many being tips. So i would assume they are harder to come by possibly making them worth more not less due to rarity. Add the Ruf work and you could see $42k. Now the speedlines run around $4500 a set used a bit more new if clean and if the turbo S tail (which again is not everyone's taste) is a real factory unit (which is possible since Ruf used these on some of his conversion) It too is worth around $5-6k alone or more to the right buyer. I have one and I would not let it go for less and IMO they are the best looking tail of any single piece tail Porsche used. I for one love the looks of tails on these cars especially widebodies. Not a fan of the plain back end myself and it definitely is a huge plus over the motorized joke that does little to noting at speeds over 120.

So add this all up asking $49,900 and you figure they will probably let it go in the $45k range. Try building one like that for that little off a $27k higher mile AR and you might find you exceed that budget.
not to debate.....imo:

from having performance cars for a long while:
-its always cheaper to buy power on the hoof, you can never recover cost of mods (power/beauty or otherwise) so for sure this car should be priced much lower than the sum of its parts....so i find any argument in that direction difficult
-i think & likely plus 90% of the viewers herein might agree doing expensive performance-RUF mods to a tip'd car may be like taking a bath with your socks on .....so whether you think a tip WTL cab has a price premium over a manual or not (which it does not)....these very fine additions have little value here....
-if its a true AR, from the factory.....it cannot have a RUF VIN, the WTL cabs (aka Amer roadsters were designated by option code) - not VIN
-re your comments about motorized joke....lets face it a cab, any vert over 100mph is not their territory.....(last car was cobra vert with 575rwHP on a dyno)....so power/torque adders for a cab should be strictly street/stoplight/twisty bit material not high end ....whaletail of absolutely zero value value in this instance - only poseur material.......and actually widebody cabs look better i think without the tail..............(including widebody speedsters),

but in the end likely may not know what this very nice car sells for....

Last edited by raspberryroadster; 05-04-2010 at 10:24 PM. Reason: spellck
Old 05-05-2010, 03:57 AM
TL-Register
Racer

Originally Posted by raspberryroadster
not to debate.....imo:

from having performance cars for a long while:
-its always cheaper to buy power on the hoof, you can never recover cost of mods (power/beauty or otherwise) so for sure this car should be priced much lower than the sum of its parts....so i find any argument in that direction difficult
-i think & likely plus 90% of the viewers herein might agree doing expensive performance-RUF mods to a tip'd car may be like taking a bath with your socks on .....so whether you think a tip WTL cab has a price premium over a manual or not (which it does not)....these very fine additions have little value here....
-if its a true AR, from the factory.....it cannot have a RUF VIN, the WTL cabs (aka Amer roadsters were designated by option code) - not VIN
-re your comments about motorized joke....lets face it a cab, any vert over 100mph is not their territory.....(last car was cobra vert with 575rwHP on a dyno)....so power/torque adders for a cab should be strictly street/stoplight/twisty bit material not high end ....whaletail of absolutely zero value value in this instance - only poseur material.......and actually widebody cabs look better i think without the tail..............(including widebody speedsters),

... i know this one ...

i hope i am allowed to make some corrections :

The car is a factory build Am-Roadster 964 650 and was in totally original shape last year - no RUF VIN ! ...

The Carrera 2 Turbo-Look Cabriolet (America Roadster) 964 650 was a lonestandig modelrow from Porsche for 1992-1993 - NOT AN OPTION ( NO M491 ) !!!

wide regards

Norbert

Quick Reply: is this for real......