Sponsored by:

Advice: Be aware of this

Search this Thread

Old 05-01-2010, 10:09 AM
Vifa
Burning Brakes

Received 4 Likes on 2 Posts
Default Advice: Be aware of this

I pulled out the carpet in my trunk today, and found some rust several places. Nothing serious though, I could remove it with some oil. But I think it is worth looking for anyway.

There were several small spots with rust around on the floor, and on the sides. In the attached pic you can see where it was worst.

I never thought of the trunk as a place where there could be rust, so I just wanted to pass this advice on.

Old 05-01-2010, 10:17 AM
Marc Shaw
Super Duper Moderator
Lifetime Rennlist

Received 14 Likes on 12 Posts

+1

Thanks - I found a bit of surface rust in similar spots.

Marc
Old 05-03-2010, 09:38 AM
911Jetta
Rennlist Member

Received 485 Likes on 278 Posts

I removed my carpet when I purchased my car. Since this was my first 911 I didn't know what was under the carpet; removing it allowed me to get more familiar with the various systems in the trunk.

I'm glad I did, as I found water pooling inside...
(AP-Design-Picture used - not my car)
Attached Images  
Old 05-03-2010, 03:15 PM
xeps
Instructor

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I found a significant amount of rust in my car as well, under the battery. previous owner must have had a leaky battery.

I find myself wondering what I can DIY that will be a decent match for the finish on the bottom of the trunk...
Old 05-04-2010, 08:24 AM
springer3
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 49 Likes on 16 Posts

Originally Posted by Vifa
I pulled out the carpet in my trunk today, and found some rust several places. Nothing serious though, I could remove it with some oil.
Good advice, except I would not recommend putting oil on rust. It will help to slow it down, but not stop it. Second, it does not correct the esthetics. Third, oil will stain the carpet. Fourth, it will make it more difficult to paint in the future.

Places like that are best treated by removing the loose rust with a scraper and wire brush. Depending on the degree of rust removal accomplished, prime with rusty-metal primer or clean-metal primer followed by a color top coat to match the surrounding color. If cleaning is not done, a wet coat of rusty metal primer will work as well as oil.
Old 05-04-2010, 09:46 AM
Navaros911
Burning Brakes

Received 38 Likes on 35 Posts

Originally Posted by springer3
Places like that are best treated by removing the loose rust with a scraper and wire brush. Depending on the degree of rust removal accomplished, prime with rusty-metal primer or clean-metal primer followed by a color top coat to match the surrounding color. If cleaning is not done, a wet coat of rusty metal primer will work as well as oil.
I would just add a step after the scraper and wire brush... before you "paint" I would use a rust neutralizer. Yes, the rusty-metal primer supposedly stops the rust, but it's cheap insurance.

Rather go for overkill than rust holes...
Old 05-04-2010, 10:30 AM
LastMezger
Rennlist Member

Received 115 Likes on 87 Posts

I'm afraid to look.
Old 05-04-2010, 01:23 PM
springer3
Addict
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by Navaros911
... before you "paint" I would use a rust neutralizer.......
Agree. If you apply phosphoric acid ("Navel Jelly", "Metal Prep" or similar"), you need to follow with clean metal primer as you have passivated the rust. If you mean "rust buster" types of latex-based treatments, stay away. Those are quick-fixes that look great at first but have no value for preventing future rust.

Never use acid near a body seam. It will wick in and hide until after you are done, and the rust will get worse. For inside the trunk, the key is eliminating the water leak or cleaning up the battery acid spill.
Old 05-04-2010, 01:40 PM
crg53
Rennlist Member

Received 13 Likes on 11 Posts

Try this stuff, I have had good results. http://www.rustbullet.com/?source=ad...FR5Ogwodkg-_9w

Old 05-04-2010, 01:57 PM
Marc Shaw
Super Duper Moderator
Lifetime Rennlist

...If you mean "rust buster" types of latex-based treatments, stay away. Those are quick-fixes that look great at first but have no value for preventing future rust....
Everytime this issue comes up, you steer people away from these products and, while I realize you have a metallurgy background, I and many others have had great success with POR-15.

I painted my rusted out fuel pump cover with this stuff 6 years ago and recently reinspected it and it looks great!

Marc
Old 05-04-2010, 07:11 PM
springer3
Addict
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by Marc Shaw
....I painted my rusted out fuel pump cover with this stuff 6 years ago and recently reinspected it and it looks great! Marc
I have no experience with POR-15, but I have tried similar products and found rust under them a few years later. I have objective test data from the NASA corrosion lab at the Kennedy Space Center confirming rust busters are not effective in a warm coastal environment. Industrial coatings for outdoor steel structures are all filled organic or inorganic resins. I am just offering a differing opinion and hope we are still friends.
Old 05-04-2010, 08:22 PM
Marc Shaw
Super Duper Moderator
Lifetime Rennlist

...I am just offering a differing opinion and hope we are still friends.
Absolutely! I am just offering my experience too so that others may consider trying these products for themselves.

Marc
Old 05-05-2010, 04:06 AM
Harry Apps
Pro

Received 20 Likes on 19 Posts

Agree. If you apply phosphoric acid ("Navel Jelly",
Navel Jelly? Would that be, apply twice a day and massage in well? My eyes are watering at the thought of it!

Personally, I would prefer Naval Jelly.

Regards

H

Quick Reply: Advice: Be aware of this