Sponsored by:

Just ordered my MoTec

Search this Thread

Old 03-02-2010, 11:50 PM
mnmasotto
Rennlist Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Just ordered my MoTec

I just placed an order for the equivalent of a 9m +1 kit from Geoffrey at Racetek. The total kit was about 6K shipped to include:
M48 ECU
Advanced data logging
Wide band O2 sensor support
Induction pipe and K&N air filter to replace the AFM and air box
MAP sensor
964 to Motec ECU wiring loom adapter (No need for custom wiring harness and easy removal)
New Bosch 36lb fuel injectors
Baseline map to get car to dyno for more custom mapping.
Custom phone support

First thing First: I have read every single MoTec thread on Rennlist and many other sports car forums. Motec seams to be the gold standard for engine management. Also, I have talked to many race car drivers, race car mechanics, engineers etc. I have yet to find anyone with anything less than praise for the MoTec engine management systems. Initially, the system may sound expensive but not when you consider that it is a management system years ahead in technology over the older Bosch Motronic systems. I know this system with negate the knock retard function but I am very satisfied that once the car is tuned for my local gas I will not have a problem.

The beauty of this kit is the ability to use the stock wiring harness. I have received a few estimates for a new MoTec wiring harnesses ranging from 3-4K. Plus most shops wanted the car for a week to measure out the wiring loom. With this kit I do not have to remove my existing harness. No wiring cutting involved. I simply plug in the custom 9m adapter and add a wire to hook up the MAP sensor. The beauty of the MoTec kit is the ability to more finely tune my modified 3.6L motor and extract the most possible power. I have tried many aftermarket and custom chips on my Motronic System but have had problem with the car running to my satifaction, pesky throttle body micro-switches and the ancient AFM. Every expert I have talked to says the MoTec is the only option I have left to get optimal performance.

I opted to use the MAP sensor to measure engine load. If I choose I can always upgrade to a 1995 throttle body and TPS sensor for around $400. I found a local race shop with a plethora of MoTec tuning experience who says they can optimize the mapping for around $800. Of course, Geoffrey offered to do this but he is in New York and I am in CA. My the way, Geoffrey is the most knowledgeable person I have spoken with regarding fuel injection and engine management for Porsche Cars. His customer service thus far has been great.

I should receive my kit in the next two weeks. I will install the kit and take many photos. I will keep you notified.

Thanks mark

Last edited by mnmasotto; 03-03-2010 at 11:33 AM.
Old 03-03-2010, 12:21 AM
mnmasotto
Rennlist Member

Default My MoTec

Here are a few of the photos given to me by Colin of 9m. One is the air pipe (AFM delete) and the other is of the wiring harness adapter. The stock ECU is laying up on its side. The MoTec M48 ECU is hooked up to the adapter and the adapter to the stock wiring loom. Could it get any easier?
Attached Images   
Old 03-03-2010, 12:42 AM
sandersd
Pro

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Looks great but...who vomited in your trunk? Yuckk!
Old 03-03-2010, 12:53 AM
parsecnc4
Burning Brakes

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by sandersd
Looks great but...who vomited in your trunk? Yuckk!
That's a picture of under the seat and not the trunk
Old 03-03-2010, 12:53 AM
BlueHeeler
Rennlist Member

Very cool set up. What kind of numbers are you expecting?

And pukey left an ear plug under your seat.
Old 03-03-2010, 01:04 AM
mnmasotto
Rennlist Member

Default My MoTec

This is not my car. It is simply a picture of the 964-Motec wiring harness adapter installed in a car in U.K. I wanted to get an idea of what I was buying before I would commit. As far as performance gains I am not sure. I am more interested in making the car run better and improved drivability. My car has a 1995 long block with 993RS cams and ported heads. Unfortunately, my car has a complete late model 964 induction and ignition system. Because of the haphazard parts configuration I need something with the flexibility of MoTec to make the components work better. I also want the ability to change to ITBs or Varioram if need be. The MoTec system offers endless options and upgradability.

Plus, I plan to enroll in the EFI University classes. They cover everything you could ever want to know about EFI. They even have a course dedeicated to MoTec systems.

Last edited by mnmasotto; 03-03-2010 at 11:27 AM.
Old 03-03-2010, 04:53 AM
ChaseN
Three Wheelin'

Awesome! It will be great to see your experiences with the setup.

BTW, nice taste in cars
Old 03-03-2010, 07:47 AM
Geoffrey
Nordschleife Master

Received 12 Likes on 10 Posts

Here is what the US Kit looks like

Old 03-03-2010, 11:46 AM
Lorenfb
Race Car

Received 61 Likes on 54 Posts

"Initially, the system may sound expensive but not when you consider that it is a management system lights years ahead in technology over the older Bosch Motronic systems."

Really, "lights years ahead", and who other than promoters of Motec supports that view?
And if Motec is "lights years head", why are they still using early '80s technology
which lacks knock control that EVERY OEM engine management system now uses?
Could it be that Motec lacks the engineering knowledge to design knock control
using digital time domain theory that Bosch had used for the 964 ECM in the late '80s?

Bottom line; Simple aftermaket ECM design, e.g. Motec, takes very little engineering design capability
now compared to rigorous designs of present day OEM ECM designs. With the use of over-the-counter flash
programmable microprocessors, even non-engineers can design and develop an aftermarket ECM.
Old 03-03-2010, 12:22 PM
PAOLOP
Rennlist Member

Received 7 Likes on 5 Posts

Lorenfb, take a break!
Also your/our Motronic is not at the top in comparison with Thielert and Magneti Marelli!

Paolo
Old 03-03-2010, 10:45 PM
92silver964
Racer

Lorenfb - "Have Fun"

I don't get that, coming from you.
Old 03-03-2010, 10:51 PM
mnmasotto
Rennlist Member

Default Answer to PM

GP White - Thanks for the PM. Actually, I chose to use MAP to determine load instead of the throttle position. Loren Beggs at 911 design, who does lots of MoTec tuning has been using MAP to measure engine load on race cars for a long time. He assures me it will work on a street car as well. Geoffrey agrees! According to Geoffrey, I can easily switch the MoTec software to use throttle position (via TPS) with a simple software adjustment. Great to hear from you. Keep up the information sharing.
Thanks, Mark
Old 05-12-2010, 03:28 AM
espenl
Intermediate

Anyone got link to dealers selling this kit?
Old 05-12-2010, 11:00 AM
crg53
Rennlist Member

Received 13 Likes on 11 Posts

If you are located in USA http://www.racetek-engineering.com/ Geoffery Ring
In Europa http://www.ninemeister.com/ Colin Belton

Old 05-13-2010, 11:57 AM
Marc Shaw
Super Duper Moderator
Lifetime Rennlist

Received 14 Likes on 12 Posts

Any news on the install??