Does keeping the car unlocked....

Search this Thread

Old 02-28-2010, 08:38 PM
Henry964
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Unfortunately Darth I have to use devices that are available here in my country
I did find a Black & Decker device sold here that jump starts any car and its also a 220 and 12 volt charger and tire inflator, I think it will do the trick
As an additional info my parking space is underground (-1 level) so no solar power available when it is parked

Thanks anyway for your good advice

Thanks a lot also to Indycam who is always helping fellow rennlisters
Old 02-28-2010, 09:09 PM
darth
Burning Brakes

Dear Henry

"Unfortunately Darth I have to use devices that are available here in my country " Are you saying solar cell devices are not available in your country?

"As an additional info my parking space is underground (-1 level) so no solar power available when it is parked" Solar cells can work (i.e. although not as good as sunlight) off of incadescent or florescent lights. Surely your underground parking is illuminated.

Bill
Old 02-28-2010, 09:48 PM
ValveFloat
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by Indycam
I have locked my car with the battery out of the car and have been able to get back into the car with the key .
Sounds like I need to try it again, thanks.
Old 03-01-2010, 03:27 PM
Henry964
Addict
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by darth
Dear Henry

"Unfortunately Darth I have to use devices that are available here in my country " Are you saying solar cell devices are not available in your country?

"As an additional info my parking space is underground (-1 level) so no solar power available when it is parked" Solar cells can work (i.e. although not as good as sunlight) off of incadescent or florescent lights. Surely your underground parking is illuminated.

Bill
Dear Bill :

AFAIK there are no solar devices on sale here to charge car batteries, a friend of mine builds and sells solar devices for houses , but is a new industry with a great future and a pretty small development for now
Old 03-01-2010, 03:37 PM
Indycam
Nordschleife Master

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Vw / Audi is sending out cars with a solar cell battery charger to keep the charge up while the cars are going to the dealers lot . I don't know if thats the case with VW / Audi cars going to Argentina .
http://oemplus.com/images/Solar_Charger_CAN-BUS.jpg
http://forums.vwvortex.com/zerothread?id=4443820
http://shop.ebay.com/i.html?_nkw=vw%...:MEFSRCHX:SRCH
Old 03-01-2010, 04:03 PM
BlueHeeler
Rennlist Member

Unless you are leaving the car for months, a healthy electrical system should be able keep enough charge to start the car. I can leave mine for 3 weeks and it fires right up.

In your situation, either the battery is bad or the car is draining too much current. A good shop should be able to test the battery to make sure that it will take and hold a charge. Second you need to determine how much drain is on the battery.

More info here.
https://rennlist.com/forums/964-foru...d-battery.html

Welcome to electrical trouble shooting, have fun!
Old 03-02-2010, 05:12 PM
mojo747
Racer

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by Indycam
A guy I was renting a room to said that his girlfriend wanted to do it in my porsche but the doors were locked .
Find and fix the problem or get a bigger better battery ?
I can't believe nobody has addressed this. This is too funny.

You should have told him "She should have called me, I would have been glad to open it up and do her in it." Lol. If he wants to do her in it he'll have to get his own.
Old 03-02-2010, 05:38 PM
boxsey911
Nordschleife Master

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I agree with others that you should find the cause and not treat the symptoms. I too can leave my car up to 3 weeks without the battery going dead. Get out a mulitmeter and find the drains. It's very satisfying tracking them down. My biggest ones were the interior courtesy lights. They cause a drain even when they are not illuminated. I've yet to fix the drain but found that if I click them to the off position the drain goes.

Also, I have a separate blipper for the alarm. I can limit the drain even further by just locking with the key (in which case the alarm is not armed).

Quick Reply: Does keeping the car unlocked....