Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 964 engine modification parts

my part list which I bought them already FOR MY 1991 CARRERA
1)cargraphic maf kit and chip for 3.8 liter with gt exhaust system
2)105 mm(4.0lt) ln engineering p/c set with 11.5 comp ratio
3)R & R rods
4)993 injectors blue
5) Ajustable fuel regulator
6) M &M dual outlet exhaust system ( fvd gt)
7) 75 mm throttle body with optimized cross tube(albert motorsport)
8)heads are upgrade with Sport valve kit for 911/964 50mm intake/43mm exhaust valves ,titanium retainers
9)cargraphic sport camshaft
any idea will be very helpfull,I hope to get 350 hp
Old 02-23-2010, 02:39 PM
MitchB
Burning Brakes

Location: Dallas, then Annapolis - now Laguna Beach CA. Well, not so fast - I'm back in Dallas. For good!

I'll be watching this one...
Old 02-23-2010, 02:45 PM
race911
Rennlist Member

Received 8 Likes on 7 Posts

Performance gains are made from more than bolting on parts. What's the overall game plan?

I'm in 3.8L sorta-hell with the yellow car right now. A good running stock 3.6L is likely going to give me a LOT more piece of mind.
Old 02-23-2010, 02:52 PM
celal
Advanced

CARGRAPHIC declared ( dyno proven) 325 hp with the same combo with 3.8 lt . I am going use this combo with 4.0 litre and 75 mm throttle body with AFPR
Old 02-23-2010, 05:39 PM
Steve Weiner-Rennsport Systems
RL Technical Advisor

Received 64 Likes on 48 Posts

JMHO, but you may need some custom software made specifically for your engine configuration and local octanes.
Old 02-24-2010, 04:37 AM
celal
Advanced

I think you are right steve but I talked to 911 chips if I can get a new chip for this combo and he told me that every maf kits has it own special software thats why I have only one chance to go with the cargraphic chip at the moment which is for the 3.8 liter with 993 injector,maf and gt exhaust with the cargraphic sport cams. another option is motec,but I have to find a good tuner in turkey looks impossible.
or I can send my engine with the parts to U.S.A for top end rebuilt. depends on the labor ofcourse
Old 02-24-2010, 05:53 AM
NineMeister
Addict
Rennlist
Site Sponsor

Received 191 Likes on 94 Posts

Originally Posted by celal
I think you are right steve but I talked to 911 chips if I can get a new chip for this combo and he told me that every maf kits has it own special software thats why I have only one chance to go with the cargraphic chip at the moment which is for the 3.8 liter with 993 injector,maf and gt exhaust with the cargraphic sport cams. another option is motec,but I have to find a good tuner in turkey looks impossible.
or I can send my engine with the parts to U.S.A for top end rebuilt. depends on the labor ofcourse
We've shipped parts all over the World for other shops to build. In extreme circumstances we even remapped a locally fitted Motec system via email for one of our customers in HK after his tuner failed to get a firm grip of the system....

Be aware that when tuning an engine, the result does not always equal the sum of the parts nor the sum of the dollars spent, so you must make an informed decision on exactly what you need from your tuner and stick to the game plan. Do not be tempted to mix & match, you can't build a successful performance engine from the internet catalogue.
Old 02-24-2010, 10:28 AM
celal
Advanced

You are right colin, and I know your reputation , but I have already bought them what is your suggestion?
Old 02-24-2010, 10:32 AM
Geoffrey
Nordschleife Master

Received 12 Likes on 10 Posts

From my testing of engines and injector flowing, the 993 injectors will not like much over about 60psi of fuel pressure. If I recall correctly, they are 26lb/hr injectors compared to the 964 at 24lb/hr, so not a large improvement in flow. They are also the old Bosch EV4 style injectors which by today's standards are just old technology. On the MoTeC conversions we do, I use 36lb/hr injectors, so you may want to take that into consideration when looking for 350hp. I don't believe that the 993 injectors, even run at 5bar base pressure will be sufficient.
Old 02-24-2010, 12:48 PM
celal
Advanced

I am a little bit confused now.I think I have to find a good tuner,but it looks impossible because in our country we have a lot of porsche dealer services but they dont know anything about the older porsches
Old 02-24-2010, 01:19 PM
celal
Advanced

does anyone know if the fvd maf kit is the same with cargraphic,I think they all uses 993 maf sensor which is 993 606 123 01
except chip (software)
Old 02-24-2010, 06:56 PM
Sire
Racer

Received 11 Likes on 9 Posts

Try to consider the MAF setup from Vitesse Racing.
Old 02-24-2010, 11:53 PM
911porschefan
Rennlist Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by celal
I am a little bit confused now.I think I have to find a good tuner,but it looks impossible because in our country we have a lot of porsche dealer services but they dont know anything about the older porsches
where do you live, maybe there is someone on here with some experience or can refer you to someone.
Old 02-25-2010, 02:12 AM
celal
Advanced

I live in turkey istanbul,I think I am the only one person who lives in turkey
Old 02-25-2010, 09:27 AM
evoderby
Pro

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Hi Celal,

You have some amazing hardware on your list. I see no reason for your engine not to perform really well, but as I think you know the key to this is getting the engine software programmed in the right way (mapping) in combination with injectors big enough to flow the required amounts of fuel.

I see a few options for you, do keep in mind however that getting things wrong can lead to catastrophic engine failure….in the end make you make your own choices:

1. Fit the engine with the cargraphic MAF kit & cargraphic 3.8L chip.

I assume this has been mapped for a 1:11.5 CR and 98Ron minimum fuel octane (please check with cargraphic!). If you can get this fuel in Istanbul you’re probably safe with the cargraphic ignition map since your engine also runs 11.5 CR. –knock control will kick in anyway when wrong-

As far as the cargraphic 3.8L fuel map goes, since your engine is 4.0L with reworked heads and sportscams in addition it will suck in higher volumes of air. The main question is whether the MAF/ECU combination has enough bandwith to cope with this increased volume of air, in order for your engine to not lean out.

An easy way to measure the latter is to install a wide band lambda kit, which allows you to actually see what’s going on in your engine during a careful test drive, gradually increasing load to check Air/Fuel ratio’s to be in the safe zone.

A Bosch hammer diagnostic tool allows you to monitor knock during these tests

1.1 adjust fuel pressure

When the above shows your fueling to be almost perfect, by all means try adjusting fuel pressure a bit from cargraphic’s base point to see if you can improve things (don’t exceed your injectors maximum pressure rating!)

Adjusting fuel pressure effects the whole rev/load range so I’m not really a big fan of this method, unless you’re really talking about fine tuning.

2. Switch your barrels and pistons for a 3.8L kit to eliminate a significant element deviating from cargraphic’s design parameters.

3. Return the cargraphic MAF kit, spend €1500 more for programmable management.

Options 1/1.1 allow you to check whether your engine is safe to run in the current configuration without any tuner being present. (If you’re lucky it will be ok, if not you’re back to square one and will have to adopt strategy 2 anyway.)

Option 2 brings you more in line with the cargraphic design parameters, however I would still check with wide band lambda for added insurance.

Option 3: I’m 100% certain that proper custom programming will yield better/optimum performance from your 4.0L engine, and will help you getting things right the first time.

From my Lancia Integrale days I remember your neighbouring country Greece having a really active rallying and drag racing scene with Integrales running 800bhp. That kind of performance requires really knowledgeable rolling road operators and tuners. Try contacting Motec Greece for a good tuner nearest to the Turkish border. I am sure 9m can supply the necessary hardware and a base map to get the engine started, your tuner will do the rest with a nice dyno plot to add;-)

Cheers,

Harald

Quick Reply: 964 engine modification parts