964 Forum 1989-1994
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

964 engine modification parts

Old 02-25-2010, 12:17 PM
celal
Advanced

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Thanks for your advice,Ithink I hope wont have any problems with the chip because the chip which I bought is burned especcialy for 3.8 lt with maf, 993 enjectors ,gt exhaust and sport camshaft my differences is I have 4.0 lt kit and enlarged throttle body stock is 72 mm mine is 75 mm.in my opinion the chip can support that kind of raised flow. Ofcourse I am not expert by the way I am not going to race with the car
Old 02-25-2010, 12:36 PM
evoderby
Pro

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

<<in my opinion the chip can support that kind of raised flow. Ofcourse I am not expert>>

Do yourself a favour, don't rely on opinion but on facts.....a $350,- wide band lambda kit will give you those facts and potentially protects many thousands of euros in engine hardware......
Old 02-25-2010, 12:48 PM
celal
Advanced

sure if I use my motronic or I will buy motec I will find a good tuner.by the way thanks for your advice
Old 02-25-2010, 01:20 PM
fast951
Addict
Rennlist Member

Rennlist
Site Sponsor

Received 37 Likes on 27 Posts

Celal, I am not familiar with the MAF kit you have now, so my comments are general and apply to the Motronic system vs. a particular product.

- As mentioned already, to get the most out of your engine safely, you need to have the engine management (Motronic Software or a standalone ) tuned for your engine. You need to address both the Fuel and Ignition.
- A engine tune for a 3.8L will not be ideal for a 4.0L. When using a true MAF conversion, the MAF will capture the change in air flow and the ECU will provide the fuel. The correct AFR for a 3.8L may not be the same for your 4.0L engine. A safe AFR is simple enough to dial in. However a safe AFR that will yield the most HP must be tuned on a dyno.
- One issue that "might" get you is the fail safe code in the ECU. This might be a limitation (or not) depending on the software you have. The factory software monitors many variables (IAT, AFM, O2,..). It will go into internal limp mode (no check engine light or error code) when such a variable is out of range. The AFM signal (MAF in this case) is just one of the items that will be checked by the ECU at different running conditions. Unless the software you are using has been programmed to handle the above condition, you will experiment a very odd behavior when running the engine. The 4.0L air flow will vary from the 3.8L, so unless the code can handle the difference you could trigger the fail safe mode, making tuning impossible.

- Assuming the AFR is fine (MAF not maxed out and injectors are large enough for the application), you still need to worry about ignition timing. Ignition tuning must be done on a dyno where you can monitor the variables, including knock.

If you decide to keep the Motronic, there are tools you can purchase to allow you to alter fuel and ignition, even with the MAF you have now. You basically alter fuel and ignition over what you have programmed on the chip you have now. You will not have to tune everything from scratch.

Hope this helps.
Old 02-25-2010, 01:47 PM
NineMeister
Addict
Rennlist
Site Sponsor

Received 191 Likes on 94 Posts

Celal,
If you bought a complete 9m Motec package for your car, it would not be an excessive cost for me to fly over, fit it for you and tune it for you on the road.

I appreciate that in ideal circumstances you would first map it on a chassis dyno, however if you do not have one available a long, straight road with no speed cameras will suffice....
Old 02-25-2010, 02:31 PM
sundog
Race Director

Received 197 Likes on 105 Posts

My favorite 964 engine mod was the replacement of the stock oil pump with a 996 GT-3 oil pump. Only requires one of the webs on the case to be shaved, and is a MUCH cheaper replacement than the original 964 part.

This idea thanks to Rich Walton at Jerry Woods Enterprises. (simply a happy customer!)
Old 02-25-2010, 02:39 PM
celal
Advanced

I am not going to race so gt3 oil pump is not necessary sundog
Old 02-25-2010, 02:44 PM
celal
Advanced

so what is your suggestion fast 951 is piggy back will solve my problem?
Old 02-25-2010, 02:53 PM
celal
Advanced

by the way colin if I make a decision for motec you are my man
Old 02-25-2010, 04:23 PM
fast951
Addict
Rennlist Member

Rennlist
Site Sponsor

Received 37 Likes on 27 Posts

Originally Posted by celal
so what is your suggestion fast 951 is piggy back will solve my problem?
The PiggyBack is just a tool to alter fuel and ignition, you still need to address the other issues as I stated above.
Old 04-08-2010, 10:05 AM
celal
Advanced

in the end I find a person (profesional motec programmer) in turkey .and I bought a used motec m48 ecu before it was in evo. now I need all the necessary sensors , plug and play cable for 964and connection cable for pc.

Last edited by celal; 04-08-2010 at 03:47 PM.

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: 964 engine modification parts