Sponsored by:

Anyone use ERPs rear spring plates?

Search this Thread

Old 04-09-2013, 09:31 AM
Vandit
Nordschleife Master

Received 48 Likes on 36 Posts

Thomas,

I guess so, install them w/ the long hole on top.

PChar and I have already shown that the slotted hole on the bottom does not provide a big camber range.

Steve has updated his forum thread indicating actual modification (grinding) to the spring plate may be necessary.

Thinking this through in my head, the perfect solution would be if the hole on the end (for the eccentric bolt) was offset instead of being on the center line of the plate. That would require welding in the current hole and redrilling it.

What a pain in the a$$. This is gonna set me back another $200 for a realignment since any trial & error is going to throw off the settings.

You figure you drop $$$ on these pieces and they should be awesome, but they're not.

Thomas, flip them, get it aligned next week, and let us know what you're able to achieve.
Old 04-09-2013, 10:55 AM
ThomasC2
Drifting

Received 41 Likes on 20 Posts

Arrrhggg...I thought I was ready in the garage after 3 weeks of hard core wrenching!

But OK, better to get this info before rather than after. I'll flip them and report back!

Thanks guys,

Thomas
Old 04-09-2013, 10:57 AM
ThomasC2
Drifting

I agree Vandit, I think for the money we pay they could at least throw in a manual on how to mount them!

Thomas
Old 04-09-2013, 01:27 PM
PAOLOP
Rennlist Member

Received 7 Likes on 5 Posts

If someone want more camber...... try this
http://www.albertweb.de/racing/porsc...chslenker.html
Old 04-09-2013, 02:07 PM
Vandit
Nordschleife Master

Ahhh, yes, let me throw $1,600 USD at new spring plates because the $800 USD new spring plates I just installed aren't getting the job done as advertised.

This is some bullsh1t. I am not happy.

PAOLOP, those are really nice pieces and it's amusing that the max camber per the product description (-4.5 degrees) is the same as what is advertised on the ERP units.
Old 04-09-2013, 04:59 PM
ThomasC2
Drifting

I flipped one side earlier this evening, and yo can actually see that there's more movement when you turn the allen adjuster. When I do my alignement next Thursday I'll ask the workshop to test how much camber I can get, just so we know! I don't need 4,5 but I think it would be good not fully max out the adjustment at 2,3-5 I had with the stock plates. I think it's a good thing to have some adjustment left in both directions.

Thomas
Old 04-09-2013, 05:42 PM
Vandit
Nordschleife Master

I got another email from Tarett Engineering, Ira says he re-confirmed w/ the spring plate supplier that for the 964 application, the slot needs to be on top.

Thomas, I'll wait till you get your car aligned w/ slotted hole on top and see what type of results you can achieve before I flip mine and suck it up and pay for another alignment.
Old 04-10-2013, 04:16 AM
ThomasC2
Drifting

Vanidt, I also got a replay fron Tarrett yesterday saying the same thing. The hole downwards is for 911/935 cars.

I told them that they could mabye include some info saying this in the package.

I'll be back about this issue next week.

Thomas
Old 04-10-2013, 09:22 PM
flatsics
Rennlist Member

Received 35 Likes on 25 Posts

Sometimes the eccentric will not provide enough negative camber.

You could have a trailing arm that is slightly bent causing this.
Stock rubber trailing bushings fight the adjustment.

With the ERP spring plates you should be able to get enough neg camber.

Sometimes you have to physically force the trailing arm to achieve more neg camber.
I do this with a floor jack under the brake rotor.
I remove the eccentric and use a jack under the rotor to rotate the arm up and in to get more camber.
You can then re-install the eccentric, just rotate it until it fits.
Old 04-11-2013, 03:47 AM
ThomasC2
Drifting

After flipping the springplates yesterday, I set a camber thet looked OK without a wheel, just the brake disc. I then tried with a wheel, and I can tell you that you probably can gt all the camber you need now. The wheel was almost stuk against the oil pipe! And I didn't even max out the adjustment bolt. So I had to release the bolts again and tilt up the wheel to make it work.

But I will ask the workshop next week anyway to check what the max camber could be so we get a number.

Thomas
Old 04-11-2013, 05:58 PM
PChar
Racer

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

So, please help me out here I was out for $450 on my wheel alignment, but dont want to spend more cash on this, .. could I just unbolt the spring plate at the trailing arm, twist it half turn with the slotted hole on top and rebolt it to the trailing arm without affecting my alignment??? would there be a way to immobilize the trailing arm assy, this should take me 10 minutes to do,... each side.

Maybe I am asking too much,....
Old 04-11-2013, 07:24 PM
flatsics
Rennlist Member

Received 35 Likes on 25 Posts

Originally Posted by PChar
So, please help me out here I was out for $450 on my wheel alignment, but dont want to spend more cash on this, .. could I just unbolt the spring plate at the trailing arm, twist it half turn with the slotted hole on top and rebolt it to the trailing arm without affecting my alignment??? would there be a way to immobilize the trailing arm assy, this should take me 10 minutes to do,... each side.

Maybe I am asking too much,....
With the ERP spring plates, the toe and camber adjustments are separate.
In theory, you should be able to remove the spring plate and flip it so the slotted hole is on top.
As long as you don't change the length of the plate the toe adjustment will stay the same.

Camber will not greatly effect tire wear. Eccessive toe in will wear the outside edge of the tire prematurely, but will not adversely change the handling of the car.
Excessive toe out will wear out the inside of the tire, and can cause the car to feel unstable under braking/turn-in.

You can get some toe plates:
https://www.pegasusautoracing.com/pr...asp?RecID=5124
Check the toe before you change the spring plate, to verify the toe setting afterward.
Old 04-12-2013, 07:57 AM
ThomasC2
Drifting

I had to adjust the lenght with 1/2 to 1 turn on the the screw to align the hole for the non-slotted hole when I flipped the plate.

Thomas
Old 04-12-2013, 09:48 AM
Vandit
Nordschleife Master

Originally Posted by ThomasC2
I had to adjust the lenght with 1/2 to 1 turn on the the screw to align the hole for the non-slotted hole when I flipped the plate.

Thomas
+1

In theory you'd think it's just a flip and rebolt job, but the trailing arm is under tension from the spring plate, the outer bush, and the shock, so getting everything lined up again means throwing off all settings.
Old 04-15-2013, 04:27 PM
Vandit
Nordschleife Master

Thomas, still on schedule for an alignment this week?

Quick Reply: Anyone use ERPs rear spring plates?