Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Anyone use ERPs rear spring plates?

Search this Thread

Old 02-16-2010, 12:24 PM
rattlsnak
Rennlist Member

Received 6 Likes on 4 Posts
Default Anyone use ERPs rear spring plates?

and know about how much toe adjustment they offer? (like a total of 4 degrees or such?). Im chasing down a problem that has too much negative toe in on the rear and this would be a great solution...
Old 02-16-2010, 12:57 PM
anto1150
Pro

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by rattlsnak
and know about how much toe adjustment they offer? (like a total of 4 degrees or such?). Im chasing down a problem that has too much negative toe in on the rear and this would be a great solution...
They have LOTS of toe adjustent.... probably much more than you'll need, especially if you need to lenghten it....

ciao
Old 02-16-2010, 01:12 PM
joey bagadonuts
Addict
Rennlist Member

Jeez, I wish I had received this question a little while ago. I just switched these and, yes, documentation on this product is nonexistent.

However, I just looked at friend's spring plates while it was on a lift and noticed that they were "extended" about an inch. The adjustable rod had about an inch of exposed thread.

The pic below shows them at their shortest length which (if installed in such a manner) would produce more outward toe than a typical 964 install, right? So unless I've got the adjustment backward, it certainly appears to offer the adjustability you're after.

Perhaps someone more knowledgeable than me (Geoffrey) can confirm.
Old 02-16-2010, 03:43 PM
rattlsnak
Rennlist Member

thanks guys, ive tried sending ERP an email with these questions, but they dont respond and i have no phone numbers for them and everybody who sells them has no clue on the specs.. !!
Old 02-16-2010, 04:31 PM
Rocket Rob
IHI KING!
Rennlist Member

Received 222 Likes on 176 Posts

You may want to give Smart Racing Products a call. I took a class a few years ago, in their shop. They seem very knowledgeable.

http://www.smartracingproducts.com/catalog/rearaxle.htm

No affiliations.
Old 02-16-2010, 05:16 PM
rattlsnak
Rennlist Member

Rob, I talked to them, they had no idea on the specs though..
thanks..
Old 02-16-2010, 06:03 PM
anto1150
Pro

rattlsnak,

do you need the spring-plate to be longer or shorter than original?
Old 02-16-2010, 09:16 PM
rattlsnak
Rennlist Member

i have too much negative toe, (front half of tire is pointing inwards) so i'm assuming if i need to move it outwards, it needs to be longer.. hmmm.. it's hard to picture without looking at it. It might work opposite and by shortening the arm it will pull the trailing arm towards the front which would rotate the wheel outwards... LOL, i'm going to have to think about this one for a moment..!
Old 02-16-2010, 11:12 PM
rattlsnak
Rennlist Member

ok, by looking at these 2 pics, i would say it needs to be shorter, which would pull the trailing arm "in" towards the center of the car, which would move the front horizontal centerline of wheel outwards.
Attached Images   
Old 02-16-2010, 11:15 PM
joey bagadonuts
Addict
Rennlist Member

Yeah, pictures always help. Out of the box, the ERP items are shorter than the stock spring plates, so they should be able to give you the toe out you're after.
Old 02-16-2010, 11:23 PM
rattlsnak
Rennlist Member

Thanks, that helps greatly!!

Marc
Old 02-17-2010, 03:42 AM
anto1150
Pro

Originally Posted by rattlsnak
i have too much negative toe, (front half of tire is pointing inwards) so i'm assuming if i need to move it outwards, it needs to be longer.. hmmm.. it's hard to picture without looking at it. It might work opposite and by shortening the arm it will pull the trailing arm towards the front which would rotate the wheel outwards... LOL, i'm going to have to think about this one for a moment..!
From what I understand, you have too much POSITIVE toe... that's why you need to shorten the spring-plate. In that direction, ERP gives about 1/2 inch compared to original; the opposite way, it gives you more than 1 inch...! The sum would probably be about 10 degrees of toe adjustment.
Old 02-17-2010, 04:32 AM
ThomasC2
Drifting

Received 41 Likes on 20 Posts

Another question about the ERP springplates....they are a bit $$$$$ so are they worth the money? I don't have any issues with camber or toe. But does the monoballs do that much different compared to stock for track use? Or are they more of "nice to have" if you have done everything else? My guess is that stiffer bushings in the rear traling arms would be a better upgrade.

Thomas
Old 02-17-2010, 04:42 AM
anto1150
Pro

Originally Posted by ThomasC2
Another question about the ERP springplates....they are a bit $$$$$ so are they worth the money? I don't have any issues with camber or toe. But does the monoballs do that much different compared to stock for track use? Or are they more of "nice to have" if you have done everything else? My guess is that stiffer bushings in the rear traling arms would be a better upgrade.

Thomas
Never drove the car on the track, but I find the car more stable and predictable. I guess if you have both (springplates + monoball trailing-arm bushings) then you'll have a perfect rear... I really hate those self-steering/compensating solutions!
Old 02-17-2010, 10:59 AM
joey bagadonuts
Addict
Rennlist Member

Hey Thomas,

As mentioned, I just replaced my original spring plates with the ERP version, so have no track impressions, yet. The bushings, however, were in very bad shape. I replaced the control arm and trailing arm bushings, as well, and those looked fine (some were original). But the spring plate bushings were totally shot: torn, loose, soft.

My suggestion is that you inspect your spring plate bushings. Compared to new Factory spring plates or monoballs, the ERP item is not too expensive.

Joe

Quick Reply: Anyone use ERPs rear spring plates?