Show me your .......

Search this Thread

Old 02-04-2010, 01:24 PM
Redcoat
Instructor

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Show me your .......

......steering wheels please!

So here I am a mere five days into 964 ownership, and despite stating to the contrary in my intro thread, I’m already looking at my first mod.

While I love my blue interior I’m not blown away with the size or look of my steering wheel and the effect that it has on my driving position. At 6’2” I enjoy my food and it shows when I try to exit the car.

So I’m toying with the idea of a smaller non-airbag wheel. I like the look of the Momo Protitpo on the older long hood cars but I’m not sure how well one would look in a 964. I did a search and saw a few 993 wheels fitted but wasn’t smitten.

Anyone got a photo of a non OEM steering wheel fitted to a 964 that they’d care to share?
Old 02-04-2010, 01:36 PM
tbennett017
Rennlist Member

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

You'll find some neat options on the steering wheel. I agree that the wheel seems large and a bit like a bus. It interferes with the top of my knees when I drive... ahem.. quickly... but I am concerned about not having an airbag... Even if is a primitive one, that is getting old, and brittle, and is waiting to explode... ;-)

Just to throw in a comment hijack... have you considered that in your calculations?
Old 02-04-2010, 01:39 PM
meek
Burning Brakes

Hi Rob,

I am a big fan of the original Techquipment CS wheel, which is still available from Porsche; you may still be able to get it to match your blue interior. Not sure in USD, but was £240ish 3 years ago.

There are various copies around, many with an added metal/enamel badge rather than the embossed original, but I liked the real thing; less bling-y.
PS I also didn't like the 993 CS wheel; looked too modern for me.
Old 02-04-2010, 02:17 PM
Redcoat
Instructor

Originally Posted by tbennett017
You'll find some neat options on the steering wheel. I agree that the wheel seems large and a bit like a bus. It interferes with the top of my knees when I drive... ahem.. quickly... but I am concerned about not having an airbag... Even if is a primitive one, that is getting old, and brittle, and is waiting to explode... ;-)

Just to throw in a comment hijack... have you considered that in your calculations?
Yeah, I thought about the whole airbag issue. Having just spent 18 months driving a 40 year old Mini with zero safety features I don't feel too apprehensive about not having one. Then again.....

Originally Posted by meek
Hi Rob,

I am a big fan of the original Techquipment CS wheel, which is still available from Porsche; you may still be able to get it to match your blue interior. Not sure in USD, but was £240ish 3 years ago.

There are various copies around, many with an added metal/enamel badge rather than the embossed original, but I liked the real thing; less bling-y.
Thanks Meek, not too worried about about the colour match issue. The example you posted looks better. I'll make inquiries.

Anyone else care to chip in?
Old 02-04-2010, 02:22 PM
911Jetta
Rennlist Member

Received 485 Likes on 278 Posts

A picture from a 964 LWT...
Attached Images  
Old 02-04-2010, 02:38 PM
hh956
Track Day

"Blingy" version of Meek's...............
...............newness now removed after 5000 miles!!!

Last edited by hh956; 01-19-2014 at 07:29 AM.
Old 02-04-2010, 02:40 PM
964russ
Three Wheelin'

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

Had a cs wheel before but found it sits v close to dash top and my leg.
So opted for a dished wheel.
Found a cheap sparco wheel on the bay.
Ive all ready posted a pic on a previous post, ill try and find the pic.

Last edited by 964russ; 04-18-2010 at 04:58 PM.
Old 02-04-2010, 03:34 PM
raspberryroadster
Three Wheelin'

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by Redcoat
......steering wheels please!

So here I am a mere five days into 964 ownership, and despite stating to the contrary in my intro thread, I’m already looking at my first mod.

While I love my blue interior I’m not blown away with the size or look of my steering wheel and the effect that it has on my driving position. At 6’2” I enjoy my food and it shows when I try to exit the car.

So I’m toying with the idea of a smaller non-airbag wheel. I like the look of the Momo Protitpo on the older long hood cars but I’m not sure how well one would look in a 964. I did a search and saw a few 993 wheels fitted but wasn’t smitten.

Anyone got a photo of a non OEM steering wheel fitted to a 964 that they’d care to share?
i may be incorrect, but as i recall the seat rails can be repositioned to give you another 2" of travel.
i am 6' and my seat is fully extended, so at 6'2" you may enjoy a little extra room?? might want to ck it out (cheap mod).
Old 02-04-2010, 03:48 PM
raspberryroadster
Three Wheelin'

Originally Posted by meek
Hi Rob,

Meek, (& sorry re away from posting)....thanks for posting up pic of your interior.
my cab is raspberry red metallic (paint code found), and has full interior marketed in N.A. as raspberry red (but i have been unable to locate either leather or carpet code).
BUT is sure looks exactly same as yours....(and there are both carpet & paint codes in matador red.....which you said was your color)....good news as new carpet looming near future.

Old 02-04-2010, 04:33 PM
Kahdmus
Addict
Rennlist Member

That one is definitely my favorite! Last time I looked they weren't cheap however...
Old 02-04-2010, 05:42 PM
ThomasC2
Drifting

Received 41 Likes on 20 Posts

I have the Porsche Motorsport wheel.

Thomas

Last edited by ThomasC2; 01-01-2011 at 06:58 AM.
Old 02-04-2010, 06:14 PM
bauerjab
Burning Brakes

Received 11 Likes on 8 Posts

Should you decide to get a new steering wheel, you need to make sure that the wheel's depth allows for proper leg room and proper arm length. The depth of the wheel can be minimal or deep or anywhere in between.

You also want to know the diameter of the wheel. From the best of my memory, I had one that was 340mm that I thought was too small. I think I am using one that is 350 mm.
Old 02-04-2010, 06:53 PM
Crystal Cranks
Racer

I'm with meek I love this wheel but a couple of people have said they found it a bit thick. I think it's miles ahead of the orginal non air bag wheel that has been around for years.
Attached Images  
Old 02-04-2010, 08:31 PM
HAB5000
Instructor

^^^Nice angle! ^^^

I've actually changed to a dished OMP Corsica since these were taken. Love the look of the CS wheel, but it's too chunky for me, and it obscures the instruments.
Old 02-04-2010, 08:35 PM
964polar
Racer

Received 5 Likes on 3 Posts

HAB5000 - That is a good represensative cockpit
What is on your mirror knop?? hopefully not a smelling dinghy

Quick Reply: Show me your .......