Notices
964 Forum 1989-1994
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Long time lurker, occasional poster , finally 964 owner!

Search this Thread

Old 02-02-2010, 10:56 AM
NineMeister
Addict
Rennlist
Site Sponsor

Received 191 Likes on 94 Posts

Originally Posted by Redcoat
Thanks Dan, still disappointed that I couldn't snag yours.
Is that a misprint??

Well done Redcoat, welcome to the club.

Nice colour combo, so refreshing not to see yet another black interior.
Old 02-02-2010, 11:07 AM
Sultan
Burning Brakes

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

[QUOTE=Redcoat;7272767]The wife is sick of me grinning like a drooling idiot so I need to share this moment.

Hopefully, at least some of you will understand.

Two years ago with my 40th birthday fast approaching I decided, to fulfill a childhood dream to own a 911. Truth be told this was a car that I’d wanted to have by the time I was 30. While I came close a couple of times life got in the way, marriage, business and then emigration to the US all conspired to delay me scratching this long time itch.

Online browsing led me to the Rennlist and Pelican boards and a wealth of knowledge that abounds made me realize just how little I actually knew about the cars in terms of model variants and their individual traits – both good and bad. What I have learned is that the Rennlist board is the place that has made this particular novice a little bit more confident before jumping in with both feet.

QUOTE]

We must be cut from the same cloth, pretty much a carbon copy of me (except I'm mid 30's now). Just bought mine last summer, enjoying every bit of it (except it sitting in the garage until spring).

Congrats on the purchase.
Old 02-02-2010, 11:09 AM
ginch
Rennlist Member

Received 124 Likes on 80 Posts

[QUOTE=snasrulla;7276280]
Originally Posted by Redcoat
The wife is sick of me grinning like a drooling idiot so I need to share this moment.

Hopefully, at least some of you will understand.

Two years ago with my 40th birthday fast approaching I decided, to fulfill a childhood dream to own a 911. Truth be told this was a car that I’d wanted to have by the time I was 30. While I came close a couple of times life got in the way, marriage, business and then emigration to the US all conspired to delay me scratching this long time itch.

Online browsing led me to the Rennlist and Pelican boards and a wealth of knowledge that abounds made me realize just how little I actually knew about the cars in terms of model variants and their individual traits – both good and bad. What I have learned is that the Rennlist board is the place that has made this particular novice a little bit more confident before jumping in with both feet.

QUOTE]

We must be cut from the same cloth, pretty much a carbon copy of me (except I'm mid 30's now). Just bought mine last summer, enjoying every bit of it (except it sitting in the garage until spring).

X2. I also bought mine 2 summers ago for my 35th bday!!! Early midlife crisis I guess! Mines also in th garage waiting for spring! Damn Canadian winters!!!
Old 02-02-2010, 11:10 AM
Redcoat
Instructor

Originally Posted by snasrulla

If I'd skipped the first marriage this would have happened a lot sooner
Old 02-02-2010, 11:32 AM
Sultan
Burning Brakes

I hear you. My wife also is jealous of the 'other woman'!! LOL, when I put her away in November for winter storage, she says "atleast I'll get some attention until spring"..
Old 02-02-2010, 12:54 PM
Kahdmus
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Brilliant intro post! I like the blue interiors on the white cars...very cool!

I am also English living in the states and waited until I moved to California before buying my first 911 (well 'real' one anyway) something I had wanted for as long as I can remember(at least since primary school!)

Looking forward to hearing more once you have had a chance to get her out on the highways and byways.
Old 02-02-2010, 01:15 PM
perlfather
Rennlist Member

Congratulations!!
I also purchased my first Porsche on my 40th birthday. I was travelling in Europe on business and managed to pick it up at the factory and drive it for 2 weeks before shipping it back home. What fun!
I was told it is a lot cheaper than a mistress and since I loved/love my wife very much it was an obvious choice.
I have been wondering why are these cars more fun (to most of us) than newer Porsches ? Perhaps one reason is that the roads have not really changed in the past 20+ years and having more power, more luxury, higher reliability and more "isolation" from the road does not improve the type of fun (many of us like in a sports car) on the current roads. There is also the added element of repairing and fixing things that no doubt adds to the enjoyment (most of the time).
Old 02-02-2010, 07:17 PM
mojo747
Racer

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

Congrats!!! Got mine at 40. My wife doesn't understand, but she is happy for me. We go out on dates in it occasionally, she likes that it is rare and eye catching. Usually I'm alone, radio off, listening to the symphony. Cheating? Perhaps.....
Old 02-02-2010, 09:26 PM
911Jetta
Rennlist Member

Received 485 Likes on 278 Posts

Originally Posted by perlfather
I have been wondering why are these cars more fun (to most of us) than newer Porsches ? Perhaps one reason is that the roads have not really changed in the past 20+ years and having more power, more luxury, higher reliability and more "isolation" from the road does not improve the type of fun (many of us like in a sports car) on the current roads. There is also the added element of repairing and fixing things that no doubt adds to the enjoyment (most of the time).
That's a good thought!

Modern Turbos are scary fast, what what fun is this?
Old 02-02-2010, 10:10 PM
Nski
Three Wheelin'

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by velocitylover
White ones look cool, congrats on the second fastest color (for #1 see avatar)
Oh, and welcome to your new addiction...
Yes what a great colour! And congratulations on your 1st Porsche, and wont be your last

Im sure you will have great fun with this 964! more fun than most other cars.

When I turned 25 I bought my 1st Porsche at the Porsche dealers, and what a feeling that was!!! It wasnt a 911, but a Boxster, then progressed onto a 996 C2, but circumstances change in your life like yours, and priority comes 1st.

Anyway, I did wonder a few years down the line, that it may seem difficult to better a Porsche 996 let alone the marque, but do you know what. Im glad I never just jumped into an everyday 997, I made an effort in looking for a true proper 911. Here I am today in a white 964, and having some great times getting it to how I want it, but most importantly the driving experience. Hopefully with the guys on here, and share the days outing in such car and enthusiasts, it will bring out the best in the ownership!

Great choice son!

Norm
Old 04-10-2010, 05:20 PM
Damian in NJ
Race Director

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

It sure looked nice in person today.
Old 04-10-2010, 09:30 PM
Redcoat
Instructor

Originally Posted by Damian in NJ
It sure looked nice in person today.
Very kind of you to say so and nice to meet you - your 968 is stunning
Old 04-11-2010, 05:58 AM
rarebear
Racer

Great story ! it could have been written be me !! only fact is that |I am a wee bit older... 69 to be precise, but that does not stop me from driving the P (Carrera 2 1990) as it should be done.
Have owned several Alfa"s and still have a 156... but the P is in a league of its own ..
enjoy enjoy Life is too short ...

Quick Reply: Long time lurker, occasional poster , finally 964 owner!