Sponsored by:

engine carrier cracked!

Search this Thread

Old 12-06-2009, 11:35 AM
anto1150
Pro

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default engine carrier cracked!

while driving on mountain roads, I saw a big smoke cloud from the mirrors... stopped the car immediatly and thought of some engine SERIOUS problem... the engine was laying 5 inches lower, cutting the powersteering tubes... thought about engine supports, then realised it was the engine carrier (big metal triangular support in between the supports) completely cracked in two pieces... tow truck and fun end!
Anyone ever experienced the same failure?

ciao
Old 12-06-2009, 11:52 AM
pantera43
Pro

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Antonino, really sorry to hear of this. I've heard that it does happen (apparently). I had my carrier reinforced by Rennline when I installed Wevo motor mounts during a engine drop. http://www.rennline.com/Engine-Carri...tinfo/M04.OEM/
Its totally amazing how flimsy the stock carrier is.

Perhaps when you get your new carrier you can purchase the kit Rennline sells and have someone local to you weld it on. Huge improvement over stock.

Dan
Old 12-06-2009, 11:54 AM
jimq
Burgled
Rennlist Member

Received 14 Likes on 11 Posts

its been documented on here a few times.
Old 12-06-2009, 12:02 PM
ThomasC2
Drifting

Received 41 Likes on 20 Posts

Do you run with stock or stiffer engine mounts?
Old 12-06-2009, 12:10 PM
anto1150
Pro

Originally Posted by pantera43
Antonino, really sorry to hear of this. I've heard that it does happen (apparently). I had my carrier reinforced by Rennline when I installed Wevo motor mounts during a engine drop. http://www.rennline.com/Engine-Carri...tinfo/M04.OEM/
Its totally amazing how flimsy the stock carrier is.

Perhaps when you get your new carrier you can purchase the kit Rennline sells and have someone local to you weld it on. Huge improvement over stock.

Dan
thanks for the usefull suggestion! I will get the rennline reinforcement.

Originally Posted by ThomasC2
Do you run with stock or stiffer engine mounts?
stock
Old 12-06-2009, 06:07 PM
gchristofi
Racer

Hi Antonio
Sorry to hear about your carrier , hope you get it fixed quickly. Really like the look of your car, thinking of doing something similar. Can you post a couple more photos and let me know what colour/finish you have on your wheels and where you purchased your decals?
Cheers
Greg
Old 12-06-2009, 07:08 PM
bgiere
Rennlist Member

Received 51 Likes on 42 Posts

Broke 2 of them. the last one I put in was reinforced by a friend who has a tool and die shop. He fabbed up a pice to lay inside the carrier and we welded it in...problem solved for the past 4 years! It looks very similiar to the Rennline piece BTW.
Old 12-07-2009, 02:33 AM
anto1150
Pro

Originally Posted by gchristofi
Hi Antonio
Sorry to hear about your carrier , hope you get it fixed quickly. Really like the look of your car, thinking of doing something similar. Can you post a couple more photos and let me know what colour/finish you have on your wheels and where you purchased your decals?
Cheers
Greg
Greg,

thanks a lot for your feedback. Wheels are matte-black and all decals come from: http://www.highgatehouse.co.uk/old_964.htm
Old 12-07-2009, 02:34 AM
anto1150
Pro

Originally Posted by bgiere
Broke 2 of them. the last one I put in was reinforced by a friend who has a tool and die shop. He fabbed up a pice to lay inside the carrier and we welded it in...problem solved for the past 4 years! It looks very similiar to the Rennline piece BTW.
what type of engine mounts do you run?
Old 12-07-2009, 05:12 AM
demonfish
Burning Brakes

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

mine was mid way thru failing, i welded it up and reinforced it... been fine since.

Someones car broke in the same way on track, he's on here, somewhere south in the uk, damn, whats his name.... also drives something else rather exotic....

thats going to bug me all day now.
Old 12-07-2009, 05:31 AM
ThomasC2
Drifting

Received 41 Likes on 20 Posts

A bit strange that it broke with stock mounts while driving on the road. Stiffer mounts, or at least driving on track are the "normal" reasons for a failure. Can you see any "old" damage around the cracks?

I've the RS engine mounts, but also welded a little extra metal to the carrier at the same time.
Old 12-07-2009, 07:32 AM
anto1150
Pro

Originally Posted by ThomasC2
A bit strange that it broke with stock mounts while driving on the road. Stiffer mounts, or at least driving on track are the "normal" reasons for a failure. Can you see any "old" damage around the cracks?

I've the RS engine mounts, but also welded a little extra metal to the carrier at the same time.
ThomasC2,

I usualli drive on mountain roads the track-way ... plus you add all those road bumps...
I was considering, once disassembled, to closely look for previous cracking. I'll let you know. Already ordered a new one, looks like it comes somehow reinforced where it cracked, we'll see... I'll post some pictures of both old and new one, just in case someone is interested...

ciao
Old 12-07-2009, 08:51 AM
boxsey911
Nordschleife Master

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by demonfish
mine was mid way thru failing, i welded it up and reinforced it... been fine since.

Someones car broke in the same way on track, he's on here, somewhere south in the uk, damn, whats his name.... also drives something else rather exotic....

thats going to bug me all day now.
You mean LuckyP...he had an Ultima aswell but has now replaced that with a gen 2 GT3.

Sorry to hear of you misfortune OP. It was precisely for this reason that I bought the Rennline gusset plate to strengthen my carrier. Failure seems to be fairly common. I suspect that worn normal engine mounts (especially if they've leaked some fluid) could contribute to the carrier cracking.
Old 12-07-2009, 12:12 PM
-nick
Three Wheelin'

Received 106 Likes on 81 Posts

Mine cracked at 60k street-only miles. The only possible contributor was a change to h&r+bilsteins a year prior. But that setup isn't really any more harsh than stock. The carrier design just seems to be flawed. I had Rennline repair & reinforce the broken carrier and they did an outstanding job.
Old 12-07-2009, 12:22 PM
elbeee964
Nordschleife Master

Received 74 Likes on 51 Posts

My coils, H&R... LWFW... RS engine mounts... DE's... ...and a still-stock carrier.

I hate threads like this. [sigh] Time to beef-up, I reckon.

Quick Reply: engine carrier cracked!