Results?
Recommendations?
Dwane
Old 11-21-2009, 08:02 AM
springer3
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 49 Likes on 16 Posts

I have painted wheels on many different cars with great results. It is possible to fill and smooth pretty severe curb rash if you want to spend the extra time.

Getting four or five wheels painted is a great weekend DIY - lots of work, but plenty of down time to watch the ball game or get chores done.

The finish is more durable and easier to clean than what the factory does. Several have posted details on systems that work.
Old 11-21-2009, 08:20 AM
ilko
Agent Orange
Rennlist Member

Received 555 Likes on 199 Posts

Been there done that. Prep work is key. There are several DIYs on the interwebs. Take your time and use quality materials - you'll be happy with the results.
Old 11-21-2009, 10:15 AM
Dwane
Race Car

Received 18 Likes on 12 Posts

Just picked up some paint stripper.
Striping to bare metal and take it from there.
Hey Ilko, good to hear from you buddy.
How's the baby? When you NEED sleep, the best remedy is Nyquil.
Dwane
Old 11-21-2009, 11:21 AM
CWay27
Rennlist Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Removing paint and bringing wheel to bare metal is a pain. The paint is really cooked in the metal. I sanded all the little imperfections and scratch the glossy finish. Then I primed the wheels and painted them.
Old 11-21-2009, 01:38 PM
Boeing 717

Received 263 Likes on 158 Posts

Originally Posted by d964
Just picked up some paint stripper.
Striping to bare metal and take it from there.
Hey Ilko, good to hear from you buddy.
How's the baby? When you NEED sleep, the best remedy is Nyquil.
Dwane
Oh man i hope you have not started yet. Dont use paint stripper. You are in for a real nightmare if you do. I sanded my wheels down and got tired of doing that so i thought hmmm paint stripper should be easier. WRONG, you will end up with a huge mess of goo all over your wheel that is even harder to get off. The wheel i used paint stripper on does not look as good as the ones i sanded. You really dont have to sand to bare metal just try and get them down to the primer layer. If you want to paint them in silver again get the EinZett silber spray which is exact duplicate of factory finish. Put on several coats and dont sand it again to make it smooth or it will mess up the metal flake. Then put on several relatively heavy coats of clear (lay wheel flat on floor to prevent running) when it dries it will dry really shiney and require little buffing. The trick is to put the clear on thick enough to dry shiney without running, really good lighting will help you acheive this. For the clear coat i used Krylon gloss UV resistant Clear. This will keep it from turning yellow. The results were as good or better than factory finish. If you have to buff it some get the mini power ball and a mild compound.

Old 11-22-2009, 10:26 AM
springer3
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 49 Likes on 16 Posts

+1 on no paint stripper. The factory finish sticks fine, and tolerates the solvents from the new paint. I used 240 grit 3M wet sandpaper to knock down the minor curb rash and any tire tool nicks. I followed that with 500 grit wet paper, which leaves sanding scratches so fine that the paint covers them. It helps to have compressed air to blow water out of the tire groove.

One more trick: don't use masking tape - it sticks poorly to rubber, and it is difficult to tape a circle. Instead, fabricate a hoop from aluminum roof flashing to to set between the rim and the tire. Cut it to the exact lenght and close the hoop with duct tape. That saves an hour or two over taping up each wheel.
Old 11-22-2009, 11:07 AM
breale01
Racer

Originally Posted by Boeing 717
If you want to paint them in silver again get the EinZett silber spray which is exact duplicate of factory finish.
I've heard good things about the Wurth Silver Laquer spray. Apparently it is THE factory paint. Problem is finding it up here in the Great White North.
Old 11-22-2009, 02:48 PM
tbennett017
Rennlist Member

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by breale01
I've heard good things about the Wurth Silver Laquer spray. Apparently it is THE factory paint. Problem is finding it up here in the Great White North.
Try Griot's Garage. They claim to sell factory wheel paint. I have seen it in the past in their catalog, but it doesn't show on their website.
Old 11-22-2009, 03:48 PM
elbeee964
Nordschleife Master

Received 74 Likes on 51 Posts

I have a can of that Wurth silver, along with a can of Wurth clear coat, that's waiting for me to get energetic.

After doing a little reading over in other forums, now wish I'd gone the Toyota Silver route mentioned by this guy.

Duplication is nice, but for what it is - wheel paint - procurement and price was a bit a pain in the butt. (Like buying spark plugs from Porsche.)
Old 11-22-2009, 08:23 PM
tgage
Rennlist Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Thanks for posting this... I was also in the process... I have 3 sets of Cup-1's in various states needing to be dressed up a bit.

It looks like
* Wurth Silver runs about $20/can and the laquer about $16/can.
* 1Z Einszett Spray Paint Primer about $16/can
* Could not find where to get the Toyota Silver

I've heard that one has to be careful with Wurth in using the correct base coat and laquer, perhaps someone could comment. With the Toyota Silver, do you just get a few quarts mixed then use your own spray gun?

Anyone know how much quantity to get (either in spray cans or quarts) if one was doing all 4 wheels?

thanks,
tom
Old 11-22-2009, 09:12 PM
ChaseN
Three Wheelin'

Just touching on masking off the tire from the wheel - I found taking a deck of cards, and putting the cards in the groove between the tire and wheel worked out extremely well, and was cheap and simple.
Old 11-23-2009, 09:51 AM
hawk911
Race Car

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

i have some deep road rash from the PO- any tips to filling it? It's on the lip
Old 11-23-2009, 09:57 AM
elbeee964
Nordschleife Master

Received 74 Likes on 51 Posts

Bondo, yes? Or, are you asking about technique?
Old 11-23-2009, 11:06 AM
hawk911
Race Car

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

both

Quick Reply: painting wheels