Sponsored by:

Motor removal & clutch installation questions

Search this Thread

Old 10-09-2009, 12:45 PM
kylejohnston1
Racer

Received 12 Likes on 7 Posts
Default Motor removal & clutch installation questions

I am getting ready to tackle replacing the clutch in my 91 C2 for the first time. I've read that it is possible to replace the clutch by removing the transmission only but the consensus seems to be that pulling the motor and transmission out is easier. I will be doing my first valve adjustment as well, and I assume this will be easier with the motor out.

Here are my questions/thoughts:

How high do I need to get the car to remove the motor? I would like to avoid removing the rear bumper if possible so I will probably need to get the car up on all fours. Although it was written for a 993, I am planning on following the jacking procedure located here (http://p-car.com/diy/jack/) unless there are other suggestions?

Do I really need the jack adapter that Pelican sells or can I just use a motorcycle/ATV jack with wood supports?

I will be buying a new floor jack and jack stands. Are there any specific types/models that are recommended?

I am thinking a motor stand will make adjusting the valves much easier once the motor is removed...any stand recommendations?

Finally, I am of the "don't fix it if it ain't broken" mindset but I was wondering if there is anything else that absolutley should be done with the motor out?

Thanks for the help fellas!

Kyle
Houston, TX
Old 10-09-2009, 12:49 PM
mrmandmman
Racer

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

How many miles on the car?
Old 10-09-2009, 01:33 PM
Rocket Rob
IHI KING!
Rennlist Member

Received 223 Likes on 177 Posts

How high do I need to get the car to remove the motor? I did this last winter. I put the car up as high as I could on my jackstands (~16-20"). This works well for getting the motor on the ground but you won't be able to slide the engine under the bumper. At that point you either need to raise the rear of the car or remove the bumper. The first time I did it, I kept the bumper on and had to raise the bottom of the bumper up to about 36". I was very nervous going that high. Fortunately, it worked. The second time, I removed the bumper. It made getting the engine out from under the car a lot easier. What makes you prefer to keep the bumper on?

You may want to read this DIY thread. It was very helpful to me, as was Adrian's book and the factory manual.

Do I really need the jack adapter that Pelican sells or can I just use a motorcycle/ATV jack with wood supports? I used an ATV jack with wood supports. It worked very well.

I will be buying a new floor jack and jack stands. Are there any specific types/models that are recommended? My favorite floor jack is the AC Hydraulics from Pelican Parts. No affiliations As for jack stands, I have knock off copies of the AC jack stands with flat tops. Note: The photos below are older and I was using cheap "SUV" jackstands. They work but I have later upgrade to the flat top style which is better.

Finally, I am of the "don't fix it if it ain't broken" mindset but I was wondering if there is anything else that absolutley should be done with the motor out? Once the engine is out, you should inspect everything including the rubber oil lines, breather hoses, engine sound pad, CV joints. You may want to replace the spark plug wires too, if you haven't already. Its a lot easier with the engine out.

My 964 coupe with my friend and able assistant John

Raised up - ready to start

Engine on the ground

Sorry I don't have a photo with the car's but up in the air, when we were sliding the engine out from underneath. We were busy doing it.
Old 10-09-2009, 01:36 PM
kylejohnston1
Racer

Rob, thanks for the great pictures and suggestions!

Mrmandmman, there are 135,000 miles on the car. I just bought it a few months ago so this will be my first time changing the clutch. If my records are correct, this will be the third one to go in the car.

Kyle
Old 10-09-2009, 07:07 PM
ddubois
Instructor

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Here's a write up I did after replacing my clutch that may answer some of your questions.
https://rennlist.com/forums/showthre...ferrerid=49328
Old 10-11-2009, 10:56 AM
altarchsa
Three Wheelin'

Originally Posted by kylejohnston1
I've read that it is possible to replace the clutch by removing the transmission only but the consensus seems to be that pulling the motor and transmission out is easier. .......I would like to avoid removing the rear bumper if possible .......
Never heard of anyone removing the trans separately. I don't believe it would be worth it. Effort required to remove engine too offset by ease in separating the trans with both out. Same with bumper.
Old 10-11-2009, 11:00 AM
altarchsa
Three Wheelin'

I will be buying a new floor jack and jack stands. Are there any specific types/models that are recommended?
Sorry folks, I haven't figured out how to respond with multiple portions of quote selected.)

+1 on that Pelican jack. Wish I had one. Key is max reach to avoid having to block/reset the jack as you go.
Old 10-11-2009, 11:03 AM
altarchsa
Three Wheelin'

Finally, I am of the "don't fix it if it ain't broken" mindset but I was wondering if there is anything else that absolutley should be done with the motor out?
Do those CV joints (boots/lube) while it's out! Also recommend the clutch fork bushings and bearings.
Old 10-11-2009, 03:04 PM
kylejohnston1
Racer

Thanks for all the input so far! I ended up going with an Arcan XL35 and I am quite pleased with it. Here is a link:
http://www.northerntool.com/webapp/w...5429_200345429

I got the car off the ground yesterday, drained the oil and disconnected the battery. I am measuring 26.5" from the floor to the bottom of the rear bumper. I really don't want to lift the car any higher so I am planning to remove the bumper if necessary. Hopefully I'll have some time to dive further in this week...

Kyle
Attached Images  

Quick Reply: Motor removal & clutch installation questions