Notices
964 Forum 1989-1994
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Durametric Diagnostic Tool on '91 964 - limitations?

Search this Thread

Old 10-10-2009, 01:10 AM
DIS
Rennlist Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Durametric Diagnostic Tool on '91 964 - limitations?

Hi
I had an "Air Bag/Safety Belt" warning light on. I searched around and ended up purchasing an Enthusiast Version of the Durametric to reset the lights and find out what the problem might be (Left sensor).
Upon connecting and finallhy understanding the basics I found out that the tool does not provide data on: Tiptronic & Alarm.
At times it comes up with a "Unknown DTC" and "Failed to Initialize" on some modules. I have contacted their Service Dept. and am waiting for suggestions.
Anyone have a similar experience?
Also the Heating/AC diagnositic comes up with a number of faults (24, 43, 45) but I have not observed any HAC malfunctions. Resetting them works for a while, but some come back.

Comments please.

Thanks
Don S
Old 10-10-2009, 02:28 AM
WPOZZZ
Three Wheelin'

Received 16 Likes on 8 Posts

Sometimes you need to have your engine running for it to work. I had problems with 993s and 964s and turned the engine on and voila!
Old 10-10-2009, 03:25 AM
Mainja
Intermediate

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

On my 964 the Air Bag/Safety Belt light would come on after being reset two different times. Once by the local Porsche dealer and they supposedly cleaned all the contacts then reset. But after a few hundred miles it came on again. Cory at Planet9eleven reset again and the diagnostics on his claimed it was the right front sensor. I read on several forums that the clock guage had several bad connections associated with our cars and needed to have the solder joints redone. As described I performed the DIY from here http://p-car.com/diy/clockrepair/. Went back to Cory to reset the computer again and so far after 1200 miles the warning lights have yet to return. Good Luck.
Old 10-10-2009, 11:40 AM
mrmandmman
Racer

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by Mainja
On my 964 the Air Bag/Safety Belt light would come on after being reset two different times. Once by the local Porsche dealer and they supposedly cleaned all the contacts then reset. But after a few hundred miles it came on again. Cory at Planet9eleven reset again and the diagnostics on his claimed it was the right front sensor. I read on several forums that the clock guage had several bad connections associated with our cars and needed to have the solder joints redone. As described I performed the DIY from here http://p-car.com/diy/clockrepair/. Went back to Cory to reset the computer again and so far after 1200 miles the warning lights have yet to return. Good Luck.
Same boat here. Previous owner took the car to the dealer and had the right sensor replaced. Light came back on. I resoldered the joints, had and independent mechanic reset and check the codes. He said it was the left sensor, tested it (I believe resistance testing?) and said it was slightly off. He wanted to replace it, but I haven't had my lights come back on yet (just a few hundred miles though). Seems to be a common problem but the Porsche hasn't released any tech bulletins about it (according to indy mechanic).
Old 10-10-2009, 11:47 AM
LouZ
Addict
Rennlist Member

Location: Philly Area ----- George Washington took a dump in my backyard!
Received 21 Likes on 16 Posts

+1 on the clock resolder. I did mine over 4 years ago, and still no warning light!

As for the Heating codes, it is common on the "scantool" that many of us use - it has to do with a race between the code reader and tne ECU when it is first turned on. Reset and rescan, if no codes pop up, then it's OK.
Old 10-11-2009, 10:02 AM
norcal_tom
Track Day

I use the same tool. The tip diagnostics works on mine and has indicated a fault before. Maybe the OBD plug is dirty?
It has always worked without the engine running. I also used the HVAC to repair my system. It should list the fault next to the code, for instance, 43 and 45 are the front and rear blowers I believe. Both of them were faulty resistors. I also think 23 was the interior sensor motor. After you reset the code, it will show back up if there is a legitimate fault. I use the durametric on both the 964 and 986 and it has already paid for itself.
Old 10-11-2009, 10:02 AM
norcal_tom
Track Day

I use the same tool. The tip diagnostics works on mine and has indicated a fault before. Maybe the OBD plug is dirty?
It has always worked without the engine running. I also used the HVAC to repair my system. It should list the fault next to the code, for instance, 43 and 45 are the front and rear blowers I believe. Both of them were faulty resistors. I also think 23 was the interior sensor motor. After you reset the code, it will show back up if there is a legitimate fault. I use the durametric on both the 964 and 986 and it has already paid for itself.
Old 10-11-2009, 07:54 PM
tgage
Rennlist Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I've had good success with the software, however, at times it does not read the ABS system. I have found Durham to be very helpful when I had an issue in the past with resetting the clock (which turned out to require a firmware update). The software creates a log file which you can send him in the case you think something is not being reported properly.

tom

Quick Reply: Durametric Diagnostic Tool on '91 964 - limitations?