Sponsored by:

3rd brake light delete

Search this Thread

Old 10-01-2009, 11:00 AM
jimq
Burgled
Rennlist Member

Received 14 Likes on 11 Posts

and when the spoiler is down you wont see it.
Old 10-01-2009, 11:14 AM
911Jetta
Rennlist Member

Received 485 Likes on 278 Posts

and when the spoiler is down you wont see it.
Boy it's easy to shut an idea down... ok, drill holes for the basket handle.

Given the curvature of the spoiler, I'm sure the LED slot can be position such that a sufficient beam pattern could be achieved?
Old 10-01-2009, 11:36 AM
Wachuko
Professor of Pending Projects
Rennlist Member

Received 21 Likes on 21 Posts

I don't know what the problem is... the ET makes the car even more unique... wear it proud..

Or, go with the basket handle...
Old 10-01-2009, 11:39 AM
raspberryroadster
Three Wheelin'

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by 911Jetta
Please understand my suggestion is more about the location of the light, at the tail of the spoiler, than light type. Given when these cars were designed, late 80's, lighting technology was much more limited (plus cost) and Porsche may have faced problems with sufficient light directionality due to the moving spoiler design?

I'm pretty sure, both the 964 and 933 3rd light designs, look "ricer" tacked-on to non-Porschephiles. As Porschephiles, we accept the design language though. Do holes have to be drilled to install the 993 basket handle? I'd be afraid of that...

Correctly installed, a thin slot cut out of the spoiler would look like this...
sorry, point taken.......actually we spent a lot of time on this solution and again the problem is 964 spoiler rim angles- facing to the ground, so when spoiler is "at rest" the 3rd brakelight is ineffective.
virtually all spolier installations are mounted facing directly back-at right angle to road....
like this porsche duckbill the light can be seen even from this shot

...or the basket 993....looks directly to the back

993 mounts via 2 bolts at either end. 993 solution may not be perfect, but certainly at least looks like it was designed for rear of these cars & is more elegant than alien emergent look which i now have.
Old 10-01-2009, 11:59 AM
Baltic964Cab
Advanced

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

i have also been thinking about this topic for ages. I have always hated last minute add ons from manufacturers (to meet US regulations or Administrangulation).

To me, I believe the basket handle is equally as ugly as the ET light, both of them are clearly after thoughts (items that make the original designer that penned the lines to the car puke).

I too have searched and searched for small LED 3rd brake lights, but have not found anything to my taste.

I believe the road I will take is to remove the original deck lid, find a replacement lid (without mounting holes), and then modify the spoiler to glass in a small ducktail (like on the Singer hot rod) and mold in a flush mount 3rd brake light found on any one of a wide varity of vehicles.
Old 10-01-2009, 12:53 PM
elbeee964
Nordschleife Master

Received 74 Likes on 51 Posts

It could've been a lot more seamless design. (below)

From a design perspective and early 90's (Porsche) "state of the art" electronic technology, (i.e. bulbs & solid/round connecting wire) motion, after a few bazillion cycles, would have produced fatigue breakage 'issues'... but I think a great design (today) by a manufacturer could easily be handled with LEDs and some super-supremo mylar laminate electrical leads bridging the wing/body gap.

Name:  rcgg_blinkered.gif
Views: 2871
Size:  129.8 KB

Last edited by elbeee964; 10-01-2009 at 03:15 PM.
Old 10-01-2009, 03:13 PM
Baltic964Cab
Advanced

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

... but I think a great design (today) by a manufacturer could easily be handled with LEDs and some super-supremo mylar laminate electrical leads bridging the wing/body gap.
The 1970 Mustang Mach I I used to own had mylar laminate electrical leads on the back side of the instrument pod.....
Old 10-01-2009, 03:19 PM
elbeee964
Nordschleife Master

I remember the wiring on my '85 911...
Drivetrain, engine, suspension, brakes: that's where Porsche put their best.
Old 10-01-2009, 05:26 PM
stevepaa
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by pete000
Impossible to remove the black ceramic coating.

Option 1: import a Euro spec rear window from Germany. My dealer wants $1500.00 with free shipping.
pn 96454510704 $773 from http://www.jpamporschejaguarparts.co...&siteid=214626

I bought the one with the rear wiper and my local Porsche dealer met the online price.
Old 10-01-2009, 05:37 PM
raspberryroadster
Three Wheelin'

Originally Posted by elbeee964
It could've been a lot more seamless design. (below)

From a design perspective and early 90's (Porsche) "state of the art" electronic technology, (i.e. bulbs & solid/round connecting wire) motion, after a few bazillion cycles, would have produced fatigue breakage 'issues'... but I think a great design (today) by a manufacturer could easily be handled with LEDs and some super-supremo mylar laminate electrical leads bridging the wing/body gap.

Attachment 389456
there is no question....looks better without alien emergent or basket handle.

you are correct there is an increasingly wide array of led lights and more available for custom install.......searching around these seem like ideal fit for bottom of spoiler - and are tailored for minimal/outofsight 3rd brakelight install.....cut and paste follows:

'Skinny' Hot Slot 3rd Brake Lights
Our Small Hot Slots 3rd Brake Lights with an Ultra Skinny clear lens - it's 7-1/2" long but just 1/4" wide (about .230", actually) for that disappearing-3rd-brake-light effect. And it's a full 1/2" deep to let you work it into a spot with more curvature. 30 bright red LED's in an aluminum housing, wire leads and mounting hardware."

and more cut and paste....this might be best way to install install & painted to match the body hardly noticeable:

"Billet Frames for StreetWorks L58SM Series LED Lights

If you aren't into flush mounting taillight or 3rd brake light lenses into the body, these stunning machined billet aluminum frames work with our L58SM kits to allow you to surface mount the lens on the outside of the sheet metal while the LED's and housing attach to the inside. The small L58SM Frame is 9" long X just under 1" wide. It will protrude .400" off the surface. They accept our lenses perfectly (as shown). All other parts (lens, LED's, housing, etc) are in the flush mount kits, just add these frames for flat surface mount installation. 3rd Brake Light kits need one frame, Taillight Kits need two frames."

we measured out flat space at bottom of the spoiler....way more than 12" available.

additionally with ruler/level did a sightline and led's would be clearly visible (not sure if laws have a height requirement)

CAN ANYONE HERE ANSWER....

1)lot of heat will pool in this area, impact on the install (lamps, resistors, wiring)

2)for those of you who have had this piece off.....seen bottom side of the bottom spoiler lip, viable installation??
Old 10-01-2009, 06:09 PM
raspberryroadster
Three Wheelin'

Originally Posted by Baltic964Cab
i have also been thinking about this topic for ages. I have always hated last minute add ons from manufacturers (to meet US regulations or Administrangulation).

To me, I believe the basket handle is equally as ugly as the ET light, both of them are clearly after thoughts (items that make the original designer that penned the lines to the car puke).

I too have searched and searched for small LED 3rd brake lights, but have not found anything to my taste.

I believe the road I will take is to remove the original deck lid, find a replacement lid (without mounting holes), and then modify the spoiler to glass in a small ducktail (like on the Singer hot rod) and mold in a flush mount 3rd brake light found on any one of a wide varity of vehicles.
Further MY LAST POST with that - ideally small 3rd brakelight setup....especially with a billet faceplate and ideal for a cab.....whats wrong with back of seat installation, both driver/pass. side?

clearly visible top up or down and i am sure a rigid frame could be implanted at seat top....

Old 10-02-2009, 11:37 AM
elbeee964
Nordschleife Master

Placing the brake lights on the seat backs doesn't look pragmatically viable.

First, they're partially blocked by the convertible top from some rear perspectives when the top's down/stowed.

And second, when the top is up (especially at night) the interior is going to light up like a flare (from light 'bounce'.)

Name:  rcgg_blinkered2.gif
Views: 2636
Size:  130.0 KB
Old 10-02-2009, 03:34 PM
raspberryroadster
Three Wheelin'

Originally Posted by elbeee964
Placing the brake lights on the seat backs doesn't look pragmatically viable.

First, they're partially blocked by the convertible top from some rear perspectives when the top's down/stowed.

And second, when the top is up (especially at night) the interior is going to light up like a flare (from light 'bounce'.)

Attachment 389682
thks, we did some tests last evening with a flashlight - and actually from following driver's perspective (either directly behind or behind and lane to the side - visability was pretty good. i ran with a lightbar in a former car (cobra vert)....and interior light up with top up was not excessive....but it certainly was further to the back and higher in the car.

so your point is a good one....
Old 10-03-2009, 09:48 PM
buck_31
Rennlist Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Thoughts......

I have been contemplating this idea for a while (see pic). The light is from a Saab 9-3 but it needs some re-shaping (and in my case a littel repair as I chipped a piece of plastic under the reflector off). I think I can get it to work , but not sure if it looks better than the basket handle? I would paint it too match the car of course....thoughts?
Attached Images  
Old 10-04-2009, 01:48 AM
raspberryroadster
Three Wheelin'

Originally Posted by buck_31
I have been contemplating this idea for a while (see pic). The light is from a Saab 9-3 but it needs some re-shaping (and in my case a littel repair as I chipped a piece of plastic under the reflector off). I think I can get it to work , but not sure if it looks better than the basket handle? I would paint it too match the car of course....thoughts?
....looks better than basket, and anything looks better than ET. actually looks better than new nissan z vert solution.

yesterday, with camera & 1 in. ruler we tried to draw some sightlines from the base of ET with the spoiler raised and at this moment we have a view that a flush installation may suffice...like here, scroll down to "Billet Frames for Streetworks L58SM"
http://www.watsons-streetworks.com/leds_plus.html

billet frame....painted body color.....size seems to work and in terms of appearance seemless....too good to be true??

wife will scout for cheap set of flush lights that we can tape onto / around bottom of ET...facing "upwards" as per upper rim of spoiler...then will photo from various angles.......

Quick Reply: 3rd brake light delete