Sponsored by:

3rd brake light delete

Search this Thread

Old 09-29-2009, 05:29 PM
elbeee964
Nordschleife Master

Received 74 Likes on 51 Posts

Originally Posted by BlueHeeler
Do Ilko's taillight mod and you will be safe AND legal.
ummm...

You might want to consider Pt's 1 & 2, again, re that whole 'legal' thing:
(1) With its center[s?] at any place on the vertical centerline of the
vehicle, including the glazing, as the vehicle is viewed from the rear.
(2) If the lamp is mounted below the rear window, no portion of the
lens shall be lower than
6 inches below the rear window on convertibles,
or 3 inches on other passenger cars.
But, Hell - I'm toting windshield protectant film around on my car, and I don't see any exclusions re tint-less windshield films in the VA laws.
Moral: You're driving a Porsche so you're probably guilty of some infraction(s) anyway...
Old 09-29-2009, 05:34 PM
buck_31
Rennlist Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

The basket handle would be acceptable as far as I can tell. Height/location is the same on the 993 and 964.
Old 09-29-2009, 05:39 PM
buck_31
Rennlist Member

And yes it is visible with the spoiler up.......
Old 09-29-2009, 05:40 PM
BlueHeeler
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by elbeee964
ummm...

You might want to consider Pt's 1 & 2, again, re that whole 'legal' thing:
(1) With its center[s?] at any place on the vertical centerline of the
vehicle, including the glazing, as the vehicle is viewed from the rear.
(2) If the lamp is mounted below the rear window, no portion of the
lens shall be lower than
6 inches below the rear window on convertibles,
or 3 inches on other passenger cars.
But, Hell - I'm toting windshield protectant film around on my car, and I don't see any exclusions re tint-less windshield films in the VA laws.
Moral: You're driving a Porsche so you're probably guilty of some infraction(s) anyway...
I was unclear.
I meant do the quad lights in addition to the basket. Basket gets you legal, quad lights get you safe(er)

I find it difficult to believe the ET nightlight really improves safety.
Old 09-29-2009, 06:01 PM
paolotvl
Intermediate

Check the state law. In Virginia I found the section of the code where it says the third brake light is not required. This doesn't mean you'll have an easy time passing the inspection....most of gas stations/shops do not know it so, I had to reinstall it to pass the inspection. But in Virginia it is legal NOT to have a third light. I have a C2 convertible, and I HATE THAT THING. I don't like the basket hand you can add. It just doesn't go with the clean line of the car. The best solution to me would be to either a) replace the ET with something with a lower profile (like the one installed on some spoiler like suggested in this thread) but it is hard to find something that will fit, or, b) modify the spoiler by inserting a third light in the back lip of the spoiler. Create an opening there and install the celica-like third light in it. I'm thinking to just get rid of it and have the a body shop cover the two holes. Then, I'll argue once a year for the inspection.
Old 09-29-2009, 06:18 PM
raspberryroadster
Three Wheelin'

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by buck_31
And yes it is visible with the spoiler up.......
993 basket light seems best option for those of us who are not whaletail fans & certainly design enhancement over the gooseneck thing.....design elements of 964 & 993 seem similiar enough

Old 09-29-2009, 07:10 PM
John Rygg
Burning Brakes

Received 19 Likes on 16 Posts

The basket handle was my fix for the ugly ET style brake light.
I like the basket handle much better, it will not be to everyone's taste but I think it is the best option.
when you get rid of ET there will be 3 holes (two smal and one larger) . my fix was to get 2 bumper plugs from http://www.bumperplugs.com/ they matched the color pretty well.
not sure if they would come close to your Raspberry. And I found another plastic plug at the hardware store for the middle hole.

I found my 993 basket handle off ebay for $99 and sold my ET brake light for $50 to cover part of the cost.

I am happy with it , but to each their own.

good luck I think your hardest part is going to be matching that cool color.
Old 09-29-2009, 07:49 PM
parsecnc4
Burning Brakes

I still think no 3rd brake light is best.

Old 09-29-2009, 07:54 PM
raspberryroadster
Three Wheelin'

Originally Posted by John Rygg
The basket handle was my fix for the ugly ET style brake light.
I like the basket handle much better, it will not be to everyone's taste but I think it is the best option.
when you get rid of ET there will be 3 holes (two smal and one larger) . my fix was to get 2 bumper plugs from http://www.bumperplugs.com/ they matched the color pretty well.
not sure if they would come close to your Raspberry. And I found another plastic plug at the hardware store for the middle hole.

I found my 993 basket handle off ebay for $99 and sold my ET brake light for $50 to cover part of the cost.

I am happy with it , but to each their own.

good luck I think your hardest part is going to be matching that cool color.
thanks John, have decided to go with 993 basket style-spoiler/brakelight....am ordering same and expect 10-12 day delivery.
am meeting with pro at collision shop tomorrow that specializes in euro sports imports as color match out of a can will be impossible. so will likely have holes filled and will use will this installation also as a stop to deal with other sand/fill respray needs....hoping cost won't be a killer.
by the way....asked a parts guy at local porsche dealership what ET is worth from the factory....and there are replacements available....without install costs $450!! talk about shock & amazement.
Old 09-29-2009, 08:04 PM
raspberryroadster
Three Wheelin'

Originally Posted by parsecnc4
I still think no 3rd brake light is best.

i agree, but if we go to inspections here or if i return to japan (strong potential) i will take the car & for sure i know there is rigorous inspections there...i will need 3rd brakelight....there is of course an element of safety in the 3rd brakelight that is hard to completely discount. and actually more i look at 993 mini spoiler wing - more i like it ( but then anything is better than gooseneck/periscope in up position/alien in emergent from stomach position/thing that is presently resident on my rear).
Old 09-30-2009, 01:00 AM
pete000
Three Wheelin'

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by newsboy
At least you don't have coupe. Then you would have to replace the rear windshield. Don't believe that I've ever seen a solution to getting rid of the black square where the brake light is mounted. Anyone done it?

Impossible to remove the black ceramic coating.

Option 1: import a Euro spec rear window from Germany. My dealer wants $1500.00 with free shipping.

Option 2: import Euro spec RS version (no defroster, and lighter) Even more expensive.

Option 3: retro fit the 993 glass and modify the body to use the 964 seal with the 993 glass. (Body work) LA964RS went this route.

Option 4: retro fit the 993 glass to the 964 requiring new rubber trim. I have heard it is a direct refit to the 964 body, some say it isn't.

I am pondering option 4 along with a 993 front windshield to match. The 993 glass and trim is more flush. Just need to find the glass at a fair price. Seals are a bit pricey too.

Until then I look through the little black square !
Old 09-30-2009, 01:16 AM
BlueHeeler
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by paolotvl
Check the state law. In Virginia I found the section of the code where it says the third brake light is not required. This doesn't mean you'll have an easy time passing the inspection....most of gas stations/shops do not know it so, I had to reinstall it to pass the inspection. But in Virginia it is legal NOT to have a third light. I have a C2 convertible, and I HATE THAT THING. I don't like the basket hand you can add. It just doesn't go with the clean line of the car. The best solution to me would be to either a) replace the ET with something with a lower profile (like the one installed on some spoiler like suggested in this thread) but it is hard to find something that will fit, or, b) modify the spoiler by inserting a third light in the back lip of the spoiler. Create an opening there and install the celica-like third light in it. I'm thinking to just get rid of it and have the a body shop cover the two holes. Then, I'll argue once a year for the inspection.
I do not know how that is possible under of the letter of the law. The Elizabeth Dole law of third brake lights is a Federally mandated DOT specification which supersedes state law. I am sure you can find an inspection station that will not know the reg is only applicable to cars post 1986, but that does not make it legal.
Old 09-30-2009, 03:56 PM
911Jetta
Rennlist Member

Received 485 Likes on 278 Posts

How about installing a short strip of water proof, flexible LED light strips in the motorized spoiler? Small holes or a thin slit could be drilled at the end of the spoiler (or attached by a clip under the spoiler - so almost completely hidden), with the wires run next to the spoiler motor wire...

http://www.superbrightleds.com/light_bars-flexible.html
Attached Images  
Old 09-30-2009, 07:15 PM
raspberryroadster
Three Wheelin'

Originally Posted by 911Jetta
How about installing a short strip of water proof, flexible LED light strips in the motorized spoiler? Small holes or a thin slit could be drilled at the end of the spoiler (or attached by a clip under the spoiler - so almost completely hidden), with the wires run next to the spoiler motor wire...

http://www.superbrightleds.com/light_bars-flexible.html
good thought, but if you look at a close-up, think you might agree has a distinct "ricer" look to it.

was at pro shop today, and we talked about a few things. we did address possibility of doing an install along the lines of here...
http://www.latemodelrestoration.com/item/LRS-44210N.

you will see that the spoiler design in this part is almost identical to porsche design. problem is porsche spoiler has a quite a dynamic curve to it and quite a slant and not perpindicular....so do do a pro look install (sunken or flush) 1st of all is challenging....and 2ndly so installed lights will be facing downwards towards the road.

pro said he is surprised porsche just didn't have a custom light that was in the same shape as bottom center of the spoiler and flush mounted on the rim edge (so that it did not interupt lines of the spolier and looked directly back .... ie from the side it would have more this shape ....... >
but exactly match rim of the spoler).

in the end we agreed 993 light bar was best approach and preserved "porschness".

i am booked in for 10/24 (one of the best if not the best shop in the city)....so will post up in due course.
Old 10-01-2009, 10:48 AM
911Jetta
Rennlist Member

Received 485 Likes on 278 Posts

Please understand my suggestion is more about the location of the light, at the tail of the spoiler, than light type. Given when these cars were designed, late 80's, lighting technology was much more limited (plus cost) and Porsche may have faced problems with sufficient light directionality due to the moving spoiler design?

I'm pretty sure, both the 964 and 933 3rd light designs, look "ricer" tacked-on to non-Porschephiles. As Porschephiles, we accept the design language though. Do holes have to be drilled to install the 993 basket handle? I'd be afraid of that...

Correctly installed, a thin slot cut out of the spoiler would look like this...
Attached Images  

Quick Reply: 3rd brake light delete