3rd brake light delete

Search this Thread

Old 10-04-2009, 11:49 AM
jimq
Burgled
Rennlist Member

Received 14 Likes on 11 Posts

Originally Posted by raspberryroadster

billet frame....painted body color.....size seems to work and in terms of appearance seemless....too good to be true??

wife will scout for cheap set of flush lights that we can tape onto / around bottom of ET...facing "upwards" as per upper rim of spoiler...then will photo from various angles.......
For those prices I will live with ET
Old 10-04-2009, 08:48 PM
raspberryroadster
Three Wheelin'

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by jimq
For those prices I will live with ET
re price - if it actually is functional...$75 for the small ('skinny' tailight led system) and $50 for the billet frame (9" x 1") seems small price to pay.
Old 10-04-2009, 09:18 PM
raspberryroadster
Three Wheelin'

here's what i am suggesting - all forums have dealt with elevating the brake light (like et)...
but perhaps a flush (seamless installation may work)....here's what i am talking about...white piece of paper taped flush to the same body rear lid panel as e.t.
at close - almost beyond crash distance, and with camera at approx driver's height of a following porsche

further back as in normal driving conditions

Old 10-04-2009, 10:47 PM
buck_31
Rennlist Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I am following your posts with great interest, that ET bugs me as much as it does you!
Old 10-05-2009, 04:16 PM
raspberryroadster
Three Wheelin'

Default decided upon delte option

Originally Posted by buck_31
I am following your posts with great interest, that ET bugs me as much as it does you!
i am going to pursue this option to delete the brakelight from my cab:

from Watson's Streetworks, "skinny hotslot 3rd brakelight", clear lens 7.5" long and 1/4 in. wide and 1/2" deep , $75.
going to accompany it with a billet frame designed for the light to allow for surface mounting....overall size 9", less than 1" wide, and frame is .4 in above the surface (and perhaps just a tad higher if custom - thin gasket is fitted under the frame to insure sealed installation....and that's another $50.

last night i made a mock up....exact size of this install - cut out the center so it would fit around ET (please excuse the pre schoolish looking attempt)...i simply wanted same size mock up....
like here, taped to proposed location as a flush installation.

then from a height of 107 cm (equates to about 5cm. from the top of the seat in a porsche)....and a distance of 1.7m (which is approx bumper to windshield plus 30cm.)....which in my view are both convertive distances for this little test)...

with spoler up, clearly visible (spoiler down-not an issue) , go further back-obviously more visible....and for a car/truck to get closer to the rear of the porsche it would have to have a higher seating position (like a van or smart car).

not sure if body color or flat black would be best for the frame....and actually will order and once ET is gone.....will have a look at it on the car.

so far this seems best option in my view - also solves the holes from ET issue as its mounted same spot - CRITIQUE is appreciated.
Old 10-05-2009, 04:31 PM
elbeee964
Nordschleife Master

Received 74 Likes on 51 Posts

Because of your posting, I noticed this morning a somewhat recent model Honda Accord... it had a really low, single row of lights (LEDs?) in the rear window for this rather high-butt/trunk model.

I think if you like the final outcome's outcome, that it's an interesting thought you're pursuing. Color coordinated would be my put. Have fun.
Old 08-21-2014, 04:17 PM
kgb_kgb
Instructor

Received 9 Likes on 8 Posts

Anyone selling the 3rd brake light
Old 08-21-2014, 04:38 PM
g60pops
Burning Brakes

Originally Posted by kgb_kgb
Anyone selling the 3rd brake light
If you are in UK I have one.
Old 08-24-2014, 08:07 PM
bmohr
Racer

I removed my third brake light as one of the first things i did once getting the car. Couldn't look in my rear view mirror for cops on the beltway very easily. But now after I've been sorting out some brake light issues I'm wondering if it might be the source of my problems. My issue is my brake lights work, but only if my headlights are off. Once I turn on the head lights and then depress the brakes, there is no change in output. Is this possible due to the removal of the third brake light? Currently the two wires are simply wrapped and tucked back into the roof/body/interior. If not, anyone else have and solve this issue?
Old 08-25-2014, 11:53 PM
C24FUN
Rennlist Member

Received 44 Likes on 29 Posts

I think the basket handle is a reasonable solution, both for the cab and the coupe. It is after all a Porsche design for the later cabs and as such sort of "belongs" on the car, and I can't imagine there being any legal issues with it.

As for actually installing it, be aware that the decklid and wing on the 964 is slightly different than the 993 in the area that the basket handle brake light mounts. You need to be very careful with the mounting location to avoid interference with the spoiler. Also, for coupe owners with the rear wiper, extra care in determining the mounting location is needed to avoid interference with the wiper arm base when you open the engine compartment lid. When I did mine I had only a couple of millimeters clearance in either direction.

Now all I need to do is have an "accident" with my rear glass and I can get rid of that bloody black frame!

Good luck!

Jim G.

Quick Reply: 3rd brake light delete