Sponsored by:

Reliability issues?

Search this Thread

Old 08-10-2009, 03:27 PM
99blackcoupe
AutoX

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Reliability issues?

First, let me say that I don't have my Porsche yet, although I am actively looking. I've kind of settled on the 964 as I really love the style and the price seems to be in my ballpark. I've been trying to do as much reading up on the cars as possible and I have heard a couple of warnings on the 90-91 model years and the head gasket issue. Just how much of issue is this and what should I ask a potential seller to make sure that I don't buy trouble? Are there any other common problems with the 964's that I should be aware of? Is there some kind of buyer's checklist that I should study before purchase? Sorry for so many questions, but I want to get it right.
On a side note, my current car that I'm planning on selling to buy the Porsche is a 99 Corvette and I'm curious as to how the performance of each car stacks up. Thanks.
Old 08-10-2009, 03:52 PM
wellcraft290
Rennlist Member

Received 39 Likes on 18 Posts

Well most of the 964 at this point have had teh gasket redone and should of had the top end redone or total motor rebuilt. All porsches have some leak. Very rare to have nothing.
Also check around the windshield for rust.
really no other major 964 issues that I am aware of but recommend a PPI
Old 08-10-2009, 04:24 PM
Rocket Rob
IHI KING!
Rennlist Member

Received 222 Likes on 176 Posts

There is a good PPI checklist. https://rennlist.com/forums/964-1989...checklist.html

As for reliability of the 964? Its very good. Not sure how they compare to the Vette. Perhaps someone else can comment.
Old 08-10-2009, 04:24 PM
ilko
Agent Orange
Rennlist Member

Received 506 Likes on 187 Posts

Originally Posted by wellcraft290
Well most of the 964 at this point have had teh gasket redone
Which one?

and should of had the top end redone or total motor rebuilt.
Really? That's quite the opposite from what I've seen... I'd even venture to say that more than 80% of the members on this board have not had an engine rebuild on their cars. That number is likely even higher among 964 owners in general.

All porsches have some leak. Very rare to have nothing.
My car doesn't leak. I know of a bunch of others that don't leak either. If there is a leak I would try to find out exactly where it comes from and whether it is something that has to be dealt with immediately. Being that the car has 12 quarts of oil, there is a lot of plumbing, so leaks unfortunately do occur sometimes.

Here's a good PPI checklist thread for prospective new owners: https://rennlist.com/forums/964-1989...checklist.html
Old 08-10-2009, 05:31 PM
BlueHeeler
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by 99blackcoupe
On a side note, my current car that I'm planning on selling to buy the Porsche is a 99 Corvette and I'm curious as to how the performance of each car stacks up. Thanks.
The numbers and specs say a 1999 Corvette and Porsche 964 are very similar in performance; maybe the Corvette is a touch faster in acceleration depending where you look. I do not know having never owned or raced a Corvette.

What I do know is numbers do not tell the whole story. The only people I know that evaluate solely on numbers are <16 year old kids that do not own a Porsche, Corvette, or even a Chevette.

There is something about driving a driver’s car like a 964 that cannot be quantified. It is not a muscle car, it is not a drag car. You will have to drive one to know if it is for you. Maybe the Corvette is the same way.
Old 08-10-2009, 05:37 PM
wellcraft290
Rennlist Member

Ilko you would not agree that most 964's have had teh gasket done to the cylinders? Some owners wait till it leaks others had a recall. Very rare when I looked for my 964 that the owner did not have the gaskets added to the cylinders.

Again depends on the miles on teh car, but really over 80-100k I would not buy a car unless at least the top end was rebuilt because the new owner will end up doing it himself.

Yes my car doesn't leak either, but my motor was rebuilt and had teh gasket cylinders milled in.
Old 08-10-2009, 05:41 PM
newsboy
Rennlist Member

Received 16 Likes on 12 Posts

I agree with Blue healer's last paragraph. Having never driven a Corvette like yours, I can't compare.. I had never driven a Porsche, when I got my 964. Guess I just made a lucky choice.
Old 08-10-2009, 05:51 PM
ilko
Agent Orange
Rennlist Member

Received 506 Likes on 187 Posts

Ilko you would not agree that most 964's have had teh gasket done to the cylinders? Some owners wait till it leaks others had a recall. Very rare when I looked for my 964 that the owner did not have the gaskets added to the cylinders.

Again depends on the miles on teh car, but really over 80-100k I would not buy a car unless at least the top end was rebuilt because the new owner will end up doing it himself.

Yes my car doesn't leak either, but my motor was rebuilt and had teh gasket cylinders milled in.
You weren't clear on which gasket you were referring to. The cylinder gasket leak is an issue only on some 89-91 cars. The issue being that there was no gasket fitted at the factory Sure enough some cars developed an issue with leaking cylinder heads, but AFAIK it was mostly due to proper break-in procedure of the car. Porsche did take care of the leaky cars early on. Midway through 91 all 911s came with cylinder head gaskets so it was no longer an issue.

I wouldn't be afraid of buying a 100K mile car with no rebuild history as long as it passes a PPI with a satisfactory compression and leak-down test.
Old 08-10-2009, 05:51 PM
raspberryroadster
Three Wheelin'

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by 99blackcoupe
First, let me say that I don't have my Porsche yet, although I am actively looking. I've kind of settled on the 964 as I really love the style and the price seems to be in my ballpark. I've been trying to do as much reading up on the cars as possible and I have heard a couple of warnings on the 90-91 model years and the head gasket issue. Just how much of issue is this and what should I ask a potential seller to make sure that I don't buy trouble? Are there any other common problems with the 964's that I should be aware of? Is there some kind of buyer's checklist that I should study before purchase? Sorry for so many questions, but I want to get it right.
american muscle....to porsche engineeering - good choice!

-i am going from american muscle (04 cobra, 2.3 whipple blower...other stuff, dyno'd at 575rwHP) to a 92 911 (bonestock america roadster)....here's my observations:

-porsche is remarkedly solid and rattle-squeak free (unlike most older vettes i have been in and my cobra). the 964's were fully hand assembled and remain strong under use.

-they are nicer to drive, handling is sweet....but do not push the limits until you fully understand all weight is over or behind drive wheels.

-its fun to drive - with the drop nose....the road is right in front of you...no overly long hood to look at (i love it)

-fit & finish - particularly the interior is outstanding compared to american product.

my research focused on 964 vs 993 and i decided on 964 mostly cause wife/myself still like that tunnel headlight-dropnose style. also we wanted a turbo look (widebody and i think 964 series is best suited for that)found an excellent local porsche mechanic (air cooled engine guy)....he did the p.p.i. on the car, and will continue to be my go-to guy....recommend you do the same.
both full covering p.p.i and find a go to guy.

unless you plan on hitting the track or speeding on highway - i recommend against the turbo. the turbo's were slow to spool up, heavier and for street city driving, the carrera2's or 4's are better performers. in fact if most of your driving will be on the street with some road trips....consider the carrera 2, faster from the get-go than a 4, and cheaper to maintain.

not sure re stats for a 99 vette, but here is summary of a 92 road test that was done by Car&Driver on a 92 964 cabriolet....and 1 of the comparo's used was a vette....
Name:  CarDriverJuly1992review4.jpg
Views: 1699
Size:  184.6 KB

good luck,
Old 08-10-2009, 06:00 PM
breale01
Racer

Running strong here....74000 miles, never a rebuild and no gaskets. Also, barely a drip.
Old 08-10-2009, 06:19 PM
wellcraft290
Rennlist Member

rasp I disagree that the C2 is faster then a C4. I would even say the opposite from the test reports I have seen etc just due to the traction advantage of the C4. More Maint not unless the front end goes and have not really heard of any issues of that.
Old 08-10-2009, 07:00 PM
Bearclaw
Three Wheelin'

Location: Seattle xburb - I can't see the Emerald City, but I know it's out there somewhere

Originally Posted by breale01
Running strong here....74000 miles, never a rebuild and no gaskets. Also, barely a drip.
+1
I would certainly question the notion of "most" and "all" referring to these items.
Old 08-10-2009, 07:02 PM
raspberryroadster
Three Wheelin'

rasp I disagree that the C2 is faster then a C4. I would even say the opposite from the test reports I have seen etc just due to the traction advantage of the C4. More Maint not unless the front end goes and have not really heard of any issues of that.
perhaps....but i drove both a 4 & the 2 (i ended up....) the 2 felt better!

in terms of test reports the only definitive reports i have seen so far is C&D from 7/92 (plus 1000 mi road test on a carrera 2 cab) and here is their opening page report where they specifically mention the 2's results vs 4
Name:  CarDriverJuly1992review1-1.jpg
Views: 1727
Size:  156.5 KB

i cannot cut & paste as book will not fit under copier.......so from adrian streather i quote (enthusiast's companion 964)

"carrera4 or carrera2"

.........the 2 is a great machine. in the dry the c2 and the c4 are fairly equal & in stock form the c2 will edge out thec4 in lap times............if the awd function is not req'd for daily driving the practical choice is the c2. the c4 is an awesome wet track performer ............

streathers reported road times:

c2 c4
0-30mph 2.1 1.9
0-50 4.0 4.0
0-60 5.1 5.2
0-90 10.2 11
0-130 23.7 27.5

standing 1/4mi 13.6 13.9
top speed 160 159

standing km 24.6 25.5

30-70mph thru gears 4.6 5.1

i hear a lot of stuff re c2's vs c'4's but all definitive reports i have seen - actual stats show the c2 to be a better street performer faster in all the gears once beyond 30mph....so it should be its lighter by about 150lbs - has the same power.......happy to see your reports.

cheers
Old 08-10-2009, 07:39 PM
wellcraft290
Rennlist Member

Yes go to youtube have posted here before were the C4 0-60 was 4.5seconds
Old 08-10-2009, 07:42 PM
wellcraft290
Rennlist Member

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=snhMQvAFkyE

Quick Reply: Reliability issues?