Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Reliability issues?

Search this Thread

Old 08-14-2009, 03:38 PM
99blackcoupe
AutoX

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Another part of my frustration is that I can't even find one to look at that doesn't require 3 hours drive time one way from my house. Apparently these cars are either so rare that they can't be found, or I live in a dead zone. I realize I live in Hooterville, but I honestly didn't think it would be this hard to find one...any one to look at I get one day off per week and the last thing the wife wants to do on that day is spend 6 hours total driving time to look at another car. Usually I'm glad I live in a rural area, but it does have it's challenges.
Old 08-14-2009, 04:09 PM
Bearclaw
Three Wheelin'

Location: Seattle xburb - I can't see the Emerald City, but I know it's out there somewhere
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Ahhhh, Hooterville. That has a whole different meaning nowdays than it did when that show was made. Which Hooterville do you live in? You may have to do this long-distance. I did. It can be a little uncomfortable to buy one you've never put your paws on, but I think for the majority of people who have done it that way, it works out well.
Old 08-14-2009, 04:13 PM
pchak
Pro

It's those spikes of outlay (clutch, valves, etc.) That will kill the average. Granted, my 993 did not need valve adjustment, but I had my gaskets replaced, plugs/wires, SAI flushed, and some other minor stuff that put a $1300 dent in my budget, but that was over 3.5 years. Two tires, rims, $800. Add in a few oil changes (done my self), broken belt, misc $600. That's about $750. Did I count those milled alum pedals, or gauge faces? noooooo..... My 996 (albeit 8-10 years newer) needed tires and a couple oil changes over 3 years. Less than $1000. I'm figuring that my future 964 would cost more like my 964, but who knows?

Do you really factor tires? You can't get much cheaper than Kuhmo...
Old 08-14-2009, 04:22 PM
911URGE
Rennlist Member

Received 101 Likes on 53 Posts

Originally Posted by Bearclaw
In 3.5 years of ownership, I'm averaging about $700/yr. - and I included consumables like tires, driveline and brake fluid changes, and oil changes with boutique oil. This biggest single item was an ignition switch (contacts) replacement.

The example you pick to buy will greatly influence your future maintenance & service outlay. A traceable service history and an overall impression that the thing has been well cared-for will go a long way towards having a pleasing ownership experience. If you buy one at a discount because of a checkered past, that pattern will usually continue and it will be a pain in your wallet. Or your perpetually greasy forearms. I do many things myself, and pay the shop to do things I'd rather not get into. Though I sometimes love the zen of turning a wrench, I bought the car to drive and enjoy, not to wrench on. I have a wife too (who is quite reasonable), but if the car spends too much time in the shop or in pieces in the garage, most of them will conclude that you made a bad decision. I don't need that kind of tarnish on my badge.

Get a PPI and be very discerning.
+1. Mine had a 4" thick service folder with receipts (in order) all the way back to the first oil change at 3k miles. I could see everything had been done in line with maintenance schedules and the car looked excellent. That might be the single largest reason Im having very good 964 experience. My largest single expense so far has been getting the A/C sorted to my satisfaction.

My wife always rolls her eyes at any expense on the car but that all goes away when she climbs behind the wheel for a drive or at the AutoX with an instructor.
Old 08-14-2009, 05:29 PM
99blackcoupe
AutoX

Originally Posted by Bearclaw
Ahhhh, Hooterville. That has a whole different meaning nowdays than it did when that show was made. Which Hooterville do you live in? You may have to do this long-distance. I did. It can be a little uncomfortable to buy one you've never put your paws on, but I think for the majority of people who have done it that way, it works out well.
I agree with you on the long distance purchase as I've done it before and it's worked out well. My problem is that I've never even driven a 911 or sat in the seat so I have no idea if I'm going to like it or not. I strongly suspect I will, but stranger things have happened. I suppose if I lived in Miami or L.A. I'd be having an easier time but I live in town where the nearest city of any size is two and a half hours away. I'll just have to be patient, which ain't easy for me.
Old 08-14-2009, 08:36 PM
raspberryroadster
Three Wheelin'

Originally Posted by 99blackcoupe
I agree with you on the long distance purchase as I've done it before and it's worked out well. My problem is that I've never even driven a 911 or sat in the seat so I have no idea if I'm going to like it or not. I strongly suspect I will, but stranger things have happened. I suppose if I lived in Miami or L.A. I'd be having an easier time but I live in town where the nearest city of any size is two and a half hours away. I'll just have to be patient, which ain't easy for me.
have you decided - based on your own research - what you want?
-sc'd or naturally aspirated
-c2 or c4
-manual or tip
-widebody
-cab or hardtop
-special edition

mileage parameters?
requirements for a full ppi?
color parameters (i am obviously not partial to grays, blacks or whites)?
ok for mods or bonestock?

i spent mos. on going over those things.....and once a framework is developed be prepared to travel, order for delivery or take nearest to home & compromise.

coming out of your 99 vette will be some upsides-downsides (but it is afterall a chevy with weak build quality....saying a guy that came out of a 04 cobra terminator)....likely you will not regret it & some 964 editions now increasing in value generally .
Old 08-14-2009, 09:30 PM
99blackcoupe
AutoX

My wish list is: coupe, white , tiptronic would be nice but not a deal breaker, bone stock, a ton of documentation, under 100k miles all for under $20k. That said, I am flexible on color, C2 or C4 doesn't matter, and cab would work as well. You are right I need to be more patient and do more research but patience has never been one of my assets. Also, I need to sell my Vette first but I am waiting to decide if the 911 is the car for me and I can't say one way or the other unless I can get behind the wheel and try it out. That is what is frustrating me.
Old 08-14-2009, 10:12 PM
BlueHeeler
Rennlist Member

My wish list is: coupe, white , tiptronic would be nice but not a deal breaker, bone stock, a ton of documentation, under 100k miles all for under $20k. That said, I am flexible on color, C2 or C4 doesn't matter, and cab would work as well. You are right I need to be more patient and do more research but patience has never been one of my assets. Also, I need to sell my Vette first but I am waiting to decide if the 911 is the car for me and I can't say one way or the other unless I can get behind the wheel and try it out. That is what is frustrating me.
You are 100% correct. You need to drive one. I drove one and the discussion was over. I bought it on the spot. I let my GF drive once and it was a total miss. She did not really like it.

Where is Hooterville PA? There must be a Rennlister or dealership that will let you have a go.

I like this one (no affiliation), the price is a bit high, but cash a wad of cash is the great motivator. Northern Virginia has numerous reputable Porsche shops that can do a PPI:
http://www.cars.com/go/search/detail...5&aff=national
Old 08-14-2009, 10:17 PM
99blackcoupe
AutoX

Originally Posted by BlueHeeler
You are 100% correct. You need to drive one. I drove one and the discussion was over. I bought it on the spot. I let my GF drive once and it was a total miss. She did not really like it.

Where is Hooterville PA? There must be a Rennlister or dealership that will let you have a go.

I like this one (no affiliation), the price is a bit high, but cash a wad of cash is the great motivator. Northern Virginia has numerous reputable Porsche shops that can do a PPI:
http://www.cars.com/go/search/detail...5&aff=national
I live in Lawrenceville PA and the closest city is Rochester NY and that's about 150 miles away. Funny, but after reading the listing you supplied I realized that I have talked to the owner and he has the perfect car for me. We have talked and swapped e-mails but he's probably 400 miles away and until I can plant my butt is one to see if I like the 911, I can't make any committments. I absolutely love his car.

Last edited by 99blackcoupe; 08-14-2009 at 10:22 PM. Reason: added text
Old 08-14-2009, 10:41 PM
raspberryroadster
Three Wheelin'

ok, so what's the worry - don't rush....have a drive-do some more digging on exactly what it is you want....bone stock, lots of documentation may mean private sale, so track all craigslist postings-in all major cities plus ebay.

cars are like houses, there's always a better one around the next corner (white??, tiptronic???)....gasp raspberryName:  output-1.gif
Views: 1462
Size:  1.04 MB
Old 08-14-2009, 10:50 PM
raspberryroadster
Three Wheelin'

like here, 61,000 miles by owner

http://vancouver.en.craigslist.ca/cto/1305479824.html
Old 08-14-2009, 10:54 PM
raspberryroadster
Three Wheelin'

....or here, but drive 1 & be convinced, has to be a rennlist member in your area?? http://portland.craigslist.org/clc/cto/1316438598.html
Old 08-14-2009, 11:01 PM
BlueHeeler
Rennlist Member

I live in Lawrenceville PA and the closest city is Rochester NY and that's about 150 miles away. Funny, but after reading the listing you supplied I realized that I have talked to the owner and he has the perfect car for me. We have talked and swapped e-mails but he's probably 400 miles away and until I can plant my butt is one to see if I like the 911, I can't make any committments. I absolutely love his car.
Good rational. Hum how do you get into one is the thousand dollar question…

I looked online across the nation obsessively for 6 months before I saw my car. When I saw/drove her (and understanding the market) I knew she was perfect for me and still is.
Old 08-14-2009, 11:01 PM
BlueHeeler
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by raspberryroadster
He is on the crack if he thinks a private seller is going to pull $30K, IMHO.
Old 08-14-2009, 11:17 PM
raspberryroadster
Three Wheelin'

Originally Posted by BlueHeeler
He is on the crack if he thinks a private seller is going to pull $30K, IMHO.
agree, but thats C$ so asking about US27,000 and so figure on 10% for negotiation....puts it in the range of $24,000....so for a pvt purchase with docs (and depending on ppi) seems in the range, no??

Quick Reply: Reliability issues?