Received 1 Like on 1 Post

...............61,000 miles-garage queen
Old 08-15-2009, 01:06 AM
BlueHeeler
Rennlist Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by raspberryroadster
...............61,000 miles-garage queen
Uhm no it does not work that way. The rubber seals are still aging, door seals, tie rod boots, half shaft CV joints, electronics, piston rings, all of which need attention or to be driven. The funny thing about 964s is they do better being driven than sitting idle.
Old 08-17-2009, 01:01 PM
Bearclaw
Three Wheelin'

Location: Seattle xburb - I can't see the Emerald City, but I know it's out there somewhere

Originally Posted by raspberryroadster
agree, but thats C$ so asking about US27,000 and so figure on 10% for negotiation....puts it in the range of $24,000....so for a pvt purchase with docs (and depending on ppi) seems in the range, no??
Even the nicest '91 with 61K is about a $19-20K USD car in this market.

Originally Posted by 99blackcoupe
My wish list is: coupe, white , tiptronic would be nice but not a deal breaker, bone stock, a ton of documentation, under 100k miles all for under $20k. That said, I am flexible on color, C2 or C4 doesn't matter, and cab would work as well. You are right I need to be more patient and do more research but patience has never been one of my assets. Also, I need to sell my Vette first but I am waiting to decide if the 911 is the car for me and I can't say one way or the other unless I can get behind the wheel and try it out. That is what is frustrating me.
If you're looking for a tip and up to 100K miles, you should be in the catbird's seat on this. Easily $16-18K, I would think from what I've seen.
I tend to think most tip's are purchased as casual weekend countryside cruisers and grocery-getters, and are treated and maintained like the family car, without having evil and misguided experiments performed on them. All good things from your perspective.
Old 08-17-2009, 01:41 PM
92silver964
Racer

My wish list is: coupe, white , tiptronic would be nice but not a deal breaker, bone stock, a ton of documentation, under 100k miles all for under $20k. That said, I am flexible on color, C2 or C4 doesn't matter, and cab would work as well. You are right I need to be more patient and do more research but patience has never been one of my assets. Also, I need to sell my Vette first but I am waiting to decide if the 911 is the car for me and I can't say one way or the other unless I can get behind the wheel and try it out. That is what is frustrating me.
This may elicit some reactions, but I bought mine from Victory Motorcars in Houston, TX and had it shipped to MD ($800). I had looked regularly for 1-1/2 years, while driving several local versions and friends cars (none to my liking, but enough to confirm my desire). I saw some warnings about Victory, but it turned out all right. Got a PPI done by a local Porsche mechanic in Houston, and he was great. The nice thing about them is they have a large inventory and it turns over pretty well. I'm not trying to advertise for them at all, it just seemed like you were a little desperate and looking for more options. Another source is to join PCA and then look at their classifieds (Panorama mag and online). My feeling is that those owners may take better care of their cars. Best of luck!

http://victory-motorcars.ebizautos.com/
Old 08-17-2009, 04:10 PM
pchak
Pro

I agree that wanting a tip will easily put you into some nice cars. For some reason, I'm kinda partial to white at the moment as well. My main favorites are the silvers (minus linen) and the blues, but i'd settle for a lot of the colors except the beige family, and black. Good luck in your search. I've been looking for a replacement for 6 months, and still haven't pulled the trigger.
Old 08-17-2009, 04:21 PM
99blackcoupe
AutoX

Well, I finally did get to drive one this weekend. My wife and I drove two and one half hours to check out a red 91 C2 coupe with tiptronic transmission. Instead of clearing things up for me, now I'm more confused than ever. First off, the car was in very nice condition and well taken care of but the tiptronic left me less than impressed.
I was very impressed with up close aesthetics of the car, it's even more gorgeous in person than in pictures and seeing them driving by once every blue moon out here in the boonies. I liked the way it "fit" me when I strapped in for the drive and I like the size better than my Vette.
The owner drove the car first to show me the ins and outs and let me drive back. A very nice guy but talked way too much and I wasn't able to absorb the feel of the car with him yammering the whole time, and I felt uneasy about putting the pedal down with him and his running commentary so I didn't get to feel it's responsiveness under my foot.
Steering was tight, very few rattles and a much higher build quality than my Vette although it did feel a little primative but that may be due to the 8 year difference in model years. Braking wasn't great and I wasn't sure if the car had nonpower brakes or just plain crappy brakes. You had to plan your stops ahead in order to get the car stopped in time.
The tiptronic seemed a little lethargic on initial acceleration but much better after 30 mph. Now, I'm not an accomplished stick driver and the last one I drove was my MG Midget about 15 years ago so that's why I wanted to test drive the tiptronic to see how the car felt.
When the owner drove the car he did get on it pretty good and it did pull very strongly so power shouldn't be an issue but the tiptronic is not what I would choose if I do buy one.
Also, the car had a strong oil, gas, "hot" smell after driving. Is that normal for a Porsche? It did seep a little oil, but no big deal and the engine compartment and undercarraige looked clean and relatively oil free.
All in all I wish I could have a do over and try a 5 speed with a less chatty seller but at least I finally got to drive one.
Old 08-17-2009, 06:48 PM
raspberryroadster
Three Wheelin'

Well, I finally did get to drive one this weekend. My wife and I drove two and one half hours to check out a red 91 C2 coupe with tiptronic transmission. Instead of clearing things up for me, now I'm more confused than ever. First off, the car was in very nice condition and well taken care of but the tiptronic left me less than impressed.
I was very impressed with up close aesthetics of the car, it's even more gorgeous in person than in pictures and seeing them driving by once every blue moon out here in the boonies. I liked the way it "fit" me when I strapped in for the drive and I like the size better than my Vette.
The owner drove the car first to show me the ins and outs and let me drive back. A very nice guy but talked way too much and I wasn't able to absorb the feel of the car with him yammering the whole time, and I felt uneasy about putting the pedal down with him and his running commentary so I didn't get to feel it's responsiveness under my foot.
Steering was tight, very few rattles and a much higher build quality than my Vette although it did feel a little primative but that may be due to the 8 year difference in model years. Braking wasn't great and I wasn't sure if the car had nonpower brakes or just plain crappy brakes. You had to plan your stops ahead in order to get the car stopped in time.
The tiptronic seemed a little lethargic on initial acceleration but much better after 30 mph. Now, I'm not an accomplished stick driver and the last one I drove was my MG Midget about 15 years ago so that's why I wanted to test drive the tiptronic to see how the car felt.
When the owner drove the car he did get on it pretty good and it did pull very strongly so power shouldn't be an issue but the tiptronic is not what I would choose if I do buy one.
Also, the car had a strong oil, gas, "hot" smell after driving. Is that normal for a Porsche? It did seep a little oil, but no big deal and the engine compartment and undercarraige looked clean and relatively oil free.
All in all I wish I could have a do over and try a 5 speed with a less chatty seller but at least I finally got to drive one.
agree when i was looking drove a tiptronic.....and just was "not there"...the 964 5 sp is a fine transmission & recommend it highly (plus less problems, and before all the tip owners get on here & say how dependable their tips are just search the forums for tiptronic issues vs manuals).

my car has NO detectable smells after hard (or easy drive), and other 964 i drove same. in good condition i think these cars should have zero squeaks or rattles.

is there no rennlist member in your area, that will give you a drive??
Old 08-17-2009, 10:50 PM
PNine64
Pro

Received 7 Likes on 4 Posts

I met up with Brian (see attached link). The car looked pretty nice. I think it would be worth talking to him. I don't think he is very far away from you.

https://rennlist.com/forums/for-sale...-for-sale.html
Old 08-18-2009, 03:14 PM
Bearclaw
Three Wheelin'

Location: Seattle xburb - I can't see the Emerald City, but I know it's out there somewhere

Also, the car had a strong oil, gas, "hot" smell after driving. Is that normal for a Porsche? It did seep a little oil, but no big deal and the engine compartment and undercarriage looked clean and relatively oil free.
Capsule comments:
Build quality: these things are structurally built like tanks.
Oil aroma: Normal. Theses things are awash in oil, about 3 gallons worth. Mine doesn't leak and I still get a faint aroma once in a while, and it clings to you, like the leather aroma. To me it is intoxicating, like "the scent of a woman".
Brakes: something wrong there, my C4 (which does have a little stronger brakes) will pop your head off if it's not bolted on good, and I don't even have the "big brakes".
Performance: You're not getting the full experience. Unless you're buying a tip to accommodate somebody who can't drive a stick, I think you want a manual. You're not seeing anywhere near 100% of the potential. Drive a 5-speed.
Old 08-18-2009, 11:48 PM
92silver964
Racer

Have you checked out Auto Trader? Here's one as an example. Very nice looking white coupe.

http://www.autotrader.com/fyc/vdp.js...standard=false
Old 08-19-2009, 09:37 PM
raspberryroadster
Three Wheelin'

....say again, what is your location? is there no forum member within spitting distance prepared to give you a decent go in a 5 sp 964.
generally squeaks - rattles zero, these cars were hand assembled & build quality is high....after a drive yes they are hot, but oil smell, gas (?) smell have not encountered, brakes - outstanding (but i have a widebody with turbo brakes so maybe a touch different), handling ...driven your yr vette (which was way below by last car-04 cobra) and porsche just feels better, plus with drop nose instead of long hood....amazing fun....keep on it

Quick Reply: Reliability issues?