Sponsored by:

time for NEW AUDIO

Search this Thread

Old 08-04-2009, 10:40 PM
raspberryroadster
Three Wheelin'

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default time for NEW AUDIO

....stock audio still works (radio... BUT not CD player) however speakers getting buzzy (is that a word that means unclear and fuzzy)...

so what have you done - pioneer head units and new speakers in stock locations....anyone with small sub woofer installs and if you had rear seats how did you do that...thanks

Old 08-04-2009, 11:23 PM
ilko
Agent Orange
Rennlist Member

Received 555 Likes on 199 Posts

What you need is a new exhaust. You'll forget all about the radio.
Old 08-04-2009, 11:53 PM
bb964
Rennlist Member

Received 325 Likes on 200 Posts

if you want to preserve the factory look, get the Porsche CDR-220 from
http://www.beckerautosound.com/ ~$350

CDR-220 is from the 996 and is the last Porsche brand radio that is compatable with the older cars. It looks 100% stock, works well but does not have of the new feachures like HD radio, USB.. It does have AUX input for iPod/MP3.. To me factory look is more impoertant than the new tech.
Old 08-04-2009, 11:59 PM
ducnine
Rennlist Member

Received 41 Likes on 16 Posts

Originally Posted by ilko

+1

Also your speakers are probably shot so get some Infinity Reference Component speakers (6000cs series I think) from Crutchfield. Give them a call and they should be able to get you the correct setup. Its an easy install if you follow the DIY instructions.

https://rennlist.com/forums/showthre...ferrerid=36919
Old 08-05-2009, 10:37 AM
raspberryroadster
Three Wheelin'

thks, but that's already on order (cup pipe to delete primary) & race cat.....still need quality sound for road trips
Old 08-05-2009, 10:46 AM
gchristofi
Racer

Hahah, I spent £350 updating my stereo last year... I've only turned it on once since... faceplacte has remained in the glovebox.
Old 08-05-2009, 10:55 AM
-nick
Three Wheelin'

Received 106 Likes on 81 Posts

I have a love/hate relationship with my cdr-220. Love the way it looks and how it's laid out, hate the sound performance. It has bass & treble adjustment and that's all. Newer decks have all sorts of sound shaping abilities (crossover points, multiband eq, etc). If I had to do it again, I would at least look into the TrafficPro (newer version of the cdr-220) or look at Nakamichi's offerings.

Either way, I would suggest a 6.5" component speaker system and an amp. With this combination, I have plenty of musical bass without needing a subwoofer.
Old 08-05-2009, 12:23 PM
Megatron-UK
Burning Brakes

Received 47 Likes on 35 Posts

I updated my howto guide with correct image locations.

As for subwoofers, I'm currently using a self-powered Alpine swd-1600 behind the drivers seat. It's a few years old now, but has enough bass to even out the sound for me.

For head units, any single DIN sized device with a ISO connector should work. I'm not a stickler for originality - so whatever sounds good, rather than what was fitted originally; I tend to use Pioneer devices - currently a MEHP-9100 which was Pioneers very top model ~7-8 years ago, along with one of their newer Ipod connection modules (Ipod sits in the glove box).
Old 08-05-2009, 02:05 PM
Andy Roe
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts

For me, a Becker Mexico Pro with the iPod lead, the factory speakers and a small powered Clarion sub behind the passenger seat. Sounds great! You can easily remove the sub too and stick it in the trunk if you want to fit a couple of midgets in the back!
Old 08-05-2009, 02:10 PM
Bearclaw
Three Wheelin'

Location: Seattle xburb - I can't see the Emerald City, but I know it's out there somewhere
Received 5 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by raspberryroadster
thks, but that's already on order (cup pipe to delete primary) & race cat.....still need quality sound for road trips
I don't know sh*t about the right stereo (wish I did), but I do know that I'm in love with your car. Sweeeet...
Old 08-05-2009, 02:37 PM
mpeters951
Racer

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I've got MB Quart seperates for the doors and Eclipse rears gathering dust in garage. Boxed up & ready for a new owner. Perfect working condition. Let me know if you have an interest.

Last edited by mpeters951; 03-29-2011 at 09:55 AM.
Old 08-05-2009, 06:57 PM
raspberryroadster
Three Wheelin'

appreciate the inputs- and will search further info/details on the names/systems you have mentioned.
Old 08-05-2009, 11:44 PM
Eric Kessel
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 55 Likes on 34 Posts

I put an Alpine 9886 head unit in, Focal 6-1/2" components in the door, and an amp under the passenger seat. It sounded pretty good, but I finally bought the Alpine "Imprint" gizmo (it uses a microphone and a laptop to map out the speakers in the car). It has completely changed the sound of the stereo. There is a clear "sound stage" that I have not been able to hear in this car (original Porsche cd player, then a different Alpine, that I did the time compensation measurements, using a tape measure to each speaker). If you have a way to hear what it does, I wouldn't have believed the sound difference...... There are a few other brands that have the same capability, and with this car/seating/speaker positioning, I think it's worth considering.
Old 08-06-2009, 01:56 AM
raspberryroadster
Three Wheelin'

Originally Posted by Eric Kessel
I put an Alpine 9886 head unit in, Focal 6-1/2" components in the door, and an amp under the passenger seat. It sounded pretty good, but I finally bought the Alpine "Imprint" gizmo (it uses a microphone and a laptop to map out the speakers in the car). It has completely changed the sound of the stereo. There is a clear "sound stage" that I have not been able to hear in this car (original Porsche cd player, then a different Alpine, that I did the time compensation measurements, using a tape measure to each speaker). If you have a way to hear what it does, I wouldn't have believed the sound difference...... There are a few other brands that have the same capability, and with this car/seating/speaker positioning, I think it's worth considering.
....this sounds like where i want to go and under seat amp!
Old 08-06-2009, 09:58 AM
CabrioArtie
Rennlist Member

Received 38 Likes on 27 Posts

I put in a CDR-220 and for the most part I'm happy with it. I am also using the original Porsche Amp, but I changed the speakers to MQ Quart components.

FM sounds okay, but AM reception absolutely sucks. It does however match the car's interior perfectly which was something I wanted.

Quick Reply: time for NEW AUDIO