Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

time for NEW AUDIO

Search this Thread

Old 08-06-2009, 04:32 PM
964russ
Three Wheelin'

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

Ive got an alpine sub that fits under the passenger seat, its small so wont blow your ear drums but does add to a good set ov speakers.

Alpine header and comps.
Old 08-08-2009, 10:09 PM
TA911-64
Instructor

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

The system I just installed is the best sound I've ever gotten! Alpine CDA 105 head unit w/IPOD capabitlity. Boston Acoustic Pro 60 SE door speakers 6.75". JL Audio 8" woofers. Boston Acoustic GT-42 amp (4 channel). I also installed the Alpine PXA H-100 imprint for perfect speaker/sound settings. AMAZINGLY loud...but CLEAR. Bass is deep and perfect.
Tom
Old 08-08-2009, 10:17 PM
TA911-64
Instructor

Some pics. [/IMG] [IMG][/IMG] [/IMG] [/IMG] [IMG]URL=http://s661.photobucket.com/albums/uu331/bbintown/?action=view&current=100_5553.jpg][/URL][/IMG]
Old 08-08-2009, 10:19 PM
TA911-64
Instructor

Sorry, not good with attatchments. Check out pics on photobucket.
Tom
Old 08-08-2009, 10:30 PM
raspberryroadster
Three Wheelin'

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by Tom Andrejack
The system I just installed is the best sound I've ever gotten! Alpine CDA 105 head unit w/IPOD capabitlity. Boston Acoustic Pro 60 SE door speakers 6.75". JL Audio 8" woofers. Boston Acoustic GT-42 amp (4 channel). I also installed the Alpine PXA H-100 imprint for perfect speaker/sound settings. AMAZINGLY loud...but CLEAR. Bass is deep and perfect.
Tom
hey tom, this looks like a nice set up.....

have you a link to your photobucket - like am interested in where you installed your woofs (i like bass but still want to keep usable back seat)

cheers, gerry
Old 08-08-2009, 10:45 PM
TA911-64
Instructor

gerry,
Go to photobucket...type bbintown@optonline.net to see my pics. I built 2 woofer boxes that fit on my
rear seats with the backs down. They are removable and fit in the trunk if I need to use the rear seats.
Tom
Old 08-08-2009, 11:13 PM
raspberryroadster
Three Wheelin'

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

got it , thks
Old 08-20-2009, 12:13 AM
dpepin
Intermediate

Here you go.

Bought a set of low profile 8 inches sub from Pioneer and built a case for it, I basically only had to do a front for the sub and the rest fitted in front of the back seat, only lost about 4 inches of the floor.
Attached Images  
Old 08-20-2009, 02:40 AM
g60pops
Burning Brakes

dpepin, that looks nice. How much bass do the 8s produce?
Old 08-22-2009, 02:18 AM
altarchsa
Three Wheelin'

I just posted the following on another thread tonight. Maybe it will help......

I did quite a bit of research before putting together my "life long dream" system in my '89 C4. I'll rank the importance of the components, IMHO, as a way of suggesting where to spend the $$$:

HEAD UNIT - IMPORTANT: I put an Alpine head unit in at the recommendation of my stepson, who at that time had worked for about a year in the stereo sales/install bay of a Circuit City. I think it is highest quality, but user interface is not great. It's about 1 1/2 yrs old now and some of the newer Alpine units have better screens and graphics. I think they are highest quality and not a lot of money compared to the overall cost of a class A system. I couldn't see the shiny, rounded Jap units (Sony, etc.) going in the German car.

FRONT SPEAKERS -VERY IMPORTANT: I VERY highly recommend the Infinity Kappa Perfect Component system for the front speakers. I had bought a pair of Alpine three way speakers but replaced them right away with the components. THERE IS NO COMPARISON. You can abandon the old tweeters/grilles in place and surface mount the new tweeter components near them. Definitely go for the component system though (read - spend money here), not just two way or three way speakers.

AMP - VERY VERY IMPORTANT: I found a used five channel, high power Alpine amp on eBay for not too much money. f you're going to push the speakers, especially a sub, you need a really good amp. If you can find a good 5 channel, it will let you push the fronts, backs and sub(s) separately. I mounted mine vertically in the luggage compartment, on a piece of plywood behind the factory felt "carpet", silicone sealant glued to the gas tank. It looks hot when you open the lid.

REAR SPEAKERS - LEAST IMPORTANT; My existing rear speakers were some pretty good Pioneers, so I just left them in place. If I would have had the last $120 at the time, I would have put some Infinity Kappa Perfect Plates in the rear deck, but they're the least critical part of the entire system.

SUB(S) - OPTIONAL, BUT A MUST IF YOU WANT A REAL KILLER SYSTEM: I removed the driver side rear seat back and built a custom sub enclosure to fit in the seat recess. I made it "L" shaped and extended it down into the foot well to gain the recommended volume for an upward facing 10" J L sub. The top of the box simulates the removed seat back in shape and elevation. I covered the sides of the box to match the seats and the top to match the carpet of a folded down seat back. I think there are a couple of enclosures available that fit in the foot well for one or two subs, usually 8" max. I guess if you wanted to go all out, you could give up both rear seats and get one of the enclosures that sits on top of the folded seats, but two subs, as well as larger-than-10" subs are overkill in such a small cabin.

CONNECTORS, CABLES, CAPACITORS, ETC. - ??? IMPORTANT: Since I went almost all out on everything, I used top quality cables from head unit to amp, and oversized, best quality speaker wire. I'm not sure how much you get in return for the $$$. I didn't install a capacitor and have not had any power problems, but depending on your amp and listening habits, you might need one.

I spent about $1,250 in parts and did all the install myself. I don't have a lot of money, so it was a significant investment for me. Because of that, I (and my wife) wondered if I spent some real dollars on a system whether I would realize that much more enjoyment over a more modest system.

I can tell you that every time I turn it on, a BIG s___-eatin grin comes across my face. Good Luck!
altarchsa is online now Report Post Edit/Delete Message

Quick Reply: time for NEW AUDIO