Sponsored by:

Wide Body Conversion Rear Only???

Search this Thread

Old 02-01-2010, 02:01 AM
Sifly
Instructor

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Hi Dave,

With regard to the sill's, could you not fit the turbo's wider sharks fin with the narrow body sill trim for such a conversion?

All the 993's had the same basic front wings. The only area of difference is the lower sill section of the front wing which curves outward on the wider body cars to meet the wider sill from the rear wings.
Looks like the black RSA above has had the front arch's extended slightly to me also? The rear arch is not from a turbo body as Dave points out as it tapers back to a narrow body's sill.

Ron, I think a half and half would look odd and would most certainly make selling the car on at a later date very hard. And as you say, the handling could well be suspect.
I would think that a wide rear and narrow front would lead to under-steering issues for a kick off?!

Would like to see some pics of such a conversion out of interest however!!
Old 02-01-2010, 01:10 PM
mark lintott
Rennlist Member

Received 25 Likes on 19 Posts

Originally Posted by raspberryroadster

i've scanned the only decent snaps i could find of wide body coupe (great looking car)....and brief description thereof

i personally love the turbo look 964 series, but i am wondering re this conversion if it might be more practical-economical to scout for factory edition turbo look (coupe or cab)...
Hey - my car! Although I've changed the wheels since those pics were taken for the book. Love it - can't go wrong with the wide body IMHO........

Go for it!

Cheers

Mark
Taiwan/UK
Attached Images  
Old 02-01-2010, 03:22 PM
canuck964
Burning Brakes

Received 109 Likes on 69 Posts

Originally Posted by Sifly
Hi Dave,

With regard to the sill's, could you not fit the turbo's wider sharks fin with the narrow body sill trim for such a conversion?

All the 993's had the same basic front wings. The only area of difference is the lower sill section of the front wing which curves outward on the wider body cars to meet the wider sill from the rear wings.
Looks like the black RSA above has had the front arch's extended slightly to me also? The rear arch is not from a turbo body as Dave points out as it tapers back to a narrow body's sill.

Ron, I think a half and half would look odd and would most certainly make selling the car on at a later date very hard. And as you say, the handling could well be suspect.
I would think that a wide rear and narrow front would lead to under-steering issues for a kick off?!

Would like to see some pics of such a conversion out of interest however!!
Here are some more pictures of my 964 with the wide body conversion.

The front fenders are slightly flaired. The rears are huge. The rocker panels are all filled in.

No handling problems noticed.
Attached Images   
Old 02-01-2010, 09:08 PM
Turbohead
Rennlist Member

Received 49 Likes on 30 Posts

If you only do the rear you are not taking advantage of the increased handling
of the wide track.

By adding front flares to the fenders you then can move the subframe out to the outboard holes that are pre drilled at factory. This gives you the wider front track and it is the easy part of the conversion.

The 964 rear trailing arms would require spacers and to bring the wheels out unless you could find OEM wide body parts .

Here is what you need for body:
Rear & front fender flares ( steel butt welded or fiberglass )
Front wide bumper
Rear wide bumper or wide bumper sides
Side rocker skirts for wide-body

Or you could buy mine all set up and get all the power and handling and and save lots of $$

Elliot

Some
Attached Images       
Old 02-02-2010, 12:55 AM
frankvan
Pro

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Elliot, are yo saying yours is for sale?
Old 02-02-2010, 10:44 PM
Turbohead
Rennlist Member

Frankvan,
I hate the thought of selling it .......I have a lot into it it and really love this car .
Right now I have 3 p cars and it is not a good time for me.
So the answer is yes it is for sale .
Elliot
Old 02-03-2010, 02:06 AM
frankvan
Pro

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Financially now is not a good time for alot of us. But it's amazing what an addict will do to get his next fix
Is it advertised anywhere yet?
Old 02-03-2010, 11:01 PM
Turbohead
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by frankvan
Financially now is not a good time for alot of us. But it's amazing what an addict will do to get his next fix
Is it advertised anywhere yet?
No I have not yet really began to market it yet( something inside of me probably doesn't want to. ) I thought since it is a DE/Street car I wait another month or so for the track guys who would be looking save a lot of money by not building their own.You know my loss their gain.
Elliot
Old 02-04-2010, 09:00 AM
NineMeister
Addict
Rennlist
Site Sponsor

Received 191 Likes on 94 Posts

I think the Ruf CTR must be one of the first narrow bodies 911s that had factory widened rear arches to fit 10" rear wheels. Always looked great to me!
Attached Images  
Old 02-04-2010, 09:35 AM
LastMezger
Rennlist Member

Received 114 Likes on 86 Posts

Turbohead,

Do you know if the earlier 964s have two sets of subframe holes? Just wondering if they only came about once the Turbo was in production.

Thanks.

Originally Posted by Turbohead
If you only do the rear you are not taking advantage of the increased handling
of the wide track.

By adding front flares to the fenders you then can move the subframe out to the outboard holes that are pre drilled at factory. This gives you the wider front track and it is the easy part of the conversion.

The 964 rear trailing arms would require spacers and to bring the wheels out unless you could find OEM wide body parts .

Here is what you need for body:
Rear & front fender flares ( steel butt welded or fiberglass )
Front wide bumper
Rear wide bumper or wide bumper sides
Side rocker skirts for wide-body

Or you could buy mine all set up and get all the power and handling and and save lots of $$

Elliot

Some
Old 02-04-2010, 12:50 PM
LA964RS
Drifting

I copied the concept of the CTR to get 295's under the rear. If anyone has ever seen Stefan driving the CTR at the Ring, you'd know why this is important. I will say that w/the narrow body front end around 120mph it starts pulling on everything...F40, 50, CGT...its just that aero factor that kicks in and makes it easier to push it through the air....its breathtaking the sprint from 90 to 160....

I run about a 2 inch flare w/stock rear bumper and rockers....a tricky proposition to make look right.
Attached Images   
Old 02-04-2010, 01:12 PM
David in LA
Nordschleife Master

Originally Posted by LA964RS
I copied the concept of the CTR to get 295's under the rear. If anyone has ever seen Stefan driving the CTR at the Ring, you'd know why this is important. I will say that w/the narrow body front end around 120mph it starts pulling on everything...F40, 50, CGT...its just that aero factor that kicks in and makes it easier to push it through the air....its breathtaking the sprint from 90 to 160....

I run about a 2 inch flare w/stock rear bumper and rockers....a tricky proposition to make look right.
Old 02-04-2010, 06:32 PM
Turbohead
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by NinetyOneC2
Turbohead,

Do you know if the earlier 964s have two sets of subframe holes? Just wondering if they only came about once the Turbo was in production.

Thanks.
late build 89's and up had the two hole set up. It easy to see in the front trunk if your car has them.
Elliot
Old 02-04-2010, 11:25 PM
LastMezger
Rennlist Member

Received 114 Likes on 86 Posts

thanks. I'll check it out.

Originally Posted by Turbohead
late build 89's and up had the two hole set up. It easy to see in the front trunk if your car has them.
Elliot
Old 02-09-2010, 04:55 AM
ronone10
Racer

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by canuck964
ronone10 - old post I know. If you are still wondering about a wide body conversion, mine started out as a narrow body 964 and was converted by Strosek in Germany.

I'm from Vancouver and my brother who lives in Seattle just bought a 911. I will be down there for a couple of XXX's so if you are still interested you may see me there with my wide *** (the 911 will be there also).
I have been away from the forum. Great to see this topic has some interest. Well, I did respray my car without doing a wide body. Still, I wouldn't mind looking at your car if I am still in time. Beauty and the widebody looks awesome.

Ron

Quick Reply: Wide Body Conversion Rear Only???